Normal Island

I assume they will take into account prices paid, so would include those who bought council houses at reduced rates.  I think my grandparents bought their council house at a huge discount.  According to Zoopla, it's now worth £200k, kerching.

Edited by ICTChris

17 minutes ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Do those graphs take into account 'Right to buy' council house prices?

My parents paid about £7k for their council house back in the 80s - it's worth about £200k now.

Mine decided not to buy. I blame them for my financial ruination and my need to be still working.

I think there's certainly space for intentional multi generational living as part of a response to the housing crisis. While its prevalence is overstated in particular in Southern Europe, it is more common in other places and where space and other privilege allows a decision for 3 generations of a family to live together can make sense. Childcare for the middle generation is easily available, housing costs will be lower; and for the elder generation support and companionship are more consistent, allowing greater opportunity to age in place and maintain ownership of a family home that may have been held for 20+ years. It's something we have tentatively discussed with my wife's parents as a potential long term solution when we move to the states, although it's unlikely it will be what we ultimately do. I have a feeling that's very much not the decision making behind the trends above though   

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

The obvious graphs which explain that shift.

20240115_104023.jpg.5e6423b86b37b57e64d5a454fcf459d2.jpg

20240115_104219.jpg.0767ef4ca725dbf04073928f5c6ce198.jpg

Avocado toast and Netflix, though.

Impact of house prices is lessened by interest rates though. Average mortgage payments were about 30% of earnings in 1998 and still are. Obviously house prices affect the amount needed for a deposit if you're buying. So they're not irrelevant. 

House prices are also related to the buy to let market which is related to another big change. The huge reduction in public housing since Thatcher. Council Houses have been replaced by housing associations and private landlords. If you want to move out of the family home at 18 now it's likely that your options will be private rental, army, street or jail. 

Numbers going into university are also much higher. 

These figures aren't just Scotland, so you also have the impact of tuition fees. 

These all account in part for the increase in people living with their parents. 

The two options on the graph aren't the only options though. I'd assume that a big driver in the decline in people living with kids by 34 is people having kids later. It's not a huge shift but it will have a big impact. 

Finally, i don't think we can ignore this:

avo-chart-272.thumb.jpg.514fe079833c4abc8b82d48880e5e76e.jpg

1 hour ago, GHF-23 said:

I think there's certainly space for intentional multi generational living as part of a response to the housing crisis. While its prevalence is overstated in particular in Southern Europe, it is more common in other places and where space and other privilege allows a decision for 3 generations of a family to live together can make sense. Childcare for the middle generation is easily available, housing costs will be lower; and for the elder generation support and companionship are more consistent, allowing greater opportunity to age in place and maintain ownership of a family home that may have been held for 20+ years. It's something we have tentatively discussed with my wife's parents as a potential long term solution when we move to the states, although it's unlikely it will be what we ultimately do. I have a feeling that's very much not the decision making behind the trends above though   

Need bigger houses for this IMO - the yanks have an average house size of more than twice that of the UK.

14 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Need bigger houses for this IMO - the yanks have an average house size of more than twice that of the UK.

That's a very good point tbf - maybe not one for the general UK household, and I suppose those wealthy enough to have a home of that size in the UK are more likely to also have the capital to just gift their children a large deposit so doesn't really apply well there. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Impact of house prices is lessened by interest rates though. Average mortgage payments were about 30% of earnings in 1998 and still are. Obviously house prices affect the amount needed for a deposit if you're buying. So they're not irrelevant. 

House prices are also related to the buy to let market which is related to another big change. The huge reduction in public housing since Thatcher. Council Houses have been replaced by housing associations and private landlords. If you want to move out of the family home at 18 now it's likely that your options will be private rental, army, street or jail. 

Numbers going into university are also much higher. 

These figures aren't just Scotland, so you also have the impact of tuition fees. 

These all account in part for the increase in people living with their parents. 

The two options on the graph aren't the only options though. I'd assume that a big driver in the decline in people living with kids by 34 is people having kids later. It's not a huge shift but it will have a big impact. 

Finally, i don't think we can ignore this:

avo-chart-272.thumb.jpg.514fe079833c4abc8b82d48880e5e76e.jpg

What happened in 2018? 

7 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkant said:

What happened in 2018? 

Looks like a combination of overproduction in South Africa and over atomised suppliers in Peru. Peruvians piss me off with their atomisation. Always go too far. 

https://www.freshplaza.com/europe/article/9063083/avocado-the-catastrophic-2018-scenario-cannot-happen-again-this-year/

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

Looks like a combination of overproduction in South Africa and over atomised suppliers in Peru. Peruvians piss me off with their atomisation. Always go too far. 

https://www.freshplaza.com/europe/article/9063083/avocado-the-catastrophic-2018-scenario-cannot-happen-again-this-year/

Typical.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Often that is because the land value is less.

Also, there are plenty of American homes where the shell of the building is wood.

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

House prices are also affected by all the people who see property as an easy investment that will earn more money than anything else.

Apparently there are more empty houses in London than there are houses (empty or not) in Liverpool.

21 hours ago, GHF-23 said:

At one stage we had, essentially, 6 adults living in our 5 bedroom house. I was forced share with my wife and therefore couldn't decorate the way I wanted. As soon as the last one moved out we downsized to make sure they couldn't come back.

49 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

At one stage we had, essentially, 6 adults living in our 5 bedroom house. I was forced share with my wife and therefore couldn't decorate the way I wanted. As soon as the last one moved out we downsized to make sure they couldn't come back.

When I first read that I somehow skipped the word "with" and it looked like a far more interesting story

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

When I first read that I somehow skipped the word "with" and it looked like a far more interesting story

Things you want to share with P&B thread for this pish.