Players you never quite got the hype around

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Sad to say but we Scottish fans are rubbish at over-hyping average players. The English are the masters here, drooling and talking endlessly about some player or other who changed their life and club but in reality were dross. 

I remember the 2010 World Cup. England started the tournament badly and were looking for some magic bullet to save them. The newspapers, 5Live, TalkShite and the likes started hyping up the return of Gareth Barry from injury as the answer to their problems. 

but when they hype an ''average'' player and we mock them for it, the irony is, if he was ours wee all have our cocks out, for example,  Billy Gilmour is a world beater, Mason Mount is a bag of w**k, 

Ferguson/ Turnbull/ Doig ?? 
All decent players at this level. But spoken about in the media as if they're the next big thing.  From what I've seen of each of them I don't see it.  All young enough to kick on, but very much overhyped at this stage.
All about opinions, and I get that they're all popular players at their clubs so folk will get protective over them.
I can only comment on Turnbull but when he became a regular in 18/19 he pretty much turned our season around single handedly. Motherwell have had some decent players over the years but Turnbull is a cut above anyone I can remember playing for us. The only one who would come close would be Mcfadden but I was 12 when he left so was probably too young to fully appreciate him.

Jeremie Frimpong?  Always looked to me like a right winger playing at full back so subsequently he seemed to be surprisingly good attacking but surprisingly weak when defending...was astonished when he went to Germany for a huge fee but another entry in the 'what the hell do I know' ledger 😅

22 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:
Ferguson/ Turnbull/ Doig ?? 
All decent players at this level. But spoken about in the media as if they're the next big thing.  From what I've seen of each of them I don't see it.  All young enough to kick on, but very much overhyped at this stage.
All about opinions, and I get that they're all popular players at their clubs so folk will get protective over them.

I can only comment on Turnbull but when he became a regular in 18/19 he pretty much turned our season around single handedly. Motherwell have had some decent players over the years but Turnbull is a cut above anyone I can remember playing for us. The only one who would come close would be Mcfadden but I was 12 when he left so was probably too young to fully appreciate him.

I thought it was bizarre for him to pick out those as not being 'stand outs' every week when they've all had large periods of their career where they were.

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

The problem with Zander Clark is that he used to play for Elgin City.  A good keeper, sure, but come on to f**k lads.  He played for fucking Elgin City.

Tbf to the man formerly known as clownshoes, we sent the poor fucker there. All he did was turn up on a Saturday and save them from disappearing to wherever the f**k brechin went to.

I feel like whether or not someone rated Barry Ferguson is a real acid test for me in terms of whether to take their opinions seriously or not. Once you start all the backpass or crab patter I start to zone you out a bit. He'd have made it to a much higher level if he was playing now, in an era where metronomic midfielders like him are more appreciated.
100%. A decent metric to judge if someone knows fitba

8 hours ago, Meldrew said:

i'm sure we all noticed the spelling mistake, i certainly did but i knew what was meant, why did you think it was important to mention it ? are you a primary school teacher and you did it out of habit or are you just a pedantic twat ?

Pedantic twat.

• ATLIS changed the title to Players you never quite got the hype around

Of the current teams, I dont get the hype around Ryan Kent. The boys got a bit of pace and a trick in him, but for the ability he supposedly possesses he should be absolutely ripping the pish week in week out and getting 15+ goals and assists each season. If Rangers get anywhere near £10m for him they've played a blinder.

On a national team front, I'm going to commit absolute sacrilege and say I dont get the massive hype around John McGinn. Hes turned into a bit of a luxury player for us who, thankfully, has popped up with loads of goals recently, but I actually think his all round play has been pretty pish for a while and might end up a bit of a passenger when the goals likely dry up. Dont get me wrong, I'd still start him, but i find the "Super John McGInn" thing a bit cringe when 90% of the game hes pretty anonymous. I will caveat this and say I think Clarke has him positioned too high up the pitch and that doesnt suit his strengths so its not all his fault but aye, dont get the huge hype around him.

7 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

I’ve done Hearts, Hibs and Rangers so may aswell through a Celtic one in there; Mikael Lustig, always felt he was Celtic’s weak link defensively during the Rodgers era.

Lustig was at Celtic for 8 yrs and won 8 titles, as well as 4 Scottish cups and 4 league cups  I should’ve stopped reading this thread as soon as McStay was mentioned, an absolute genius.