Players you never quite got the hype around

33 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

To be fair..

He’s never been hyped up or that rated to begin with 

I've seen claims he's the best RB in the country. There's been meltdowns he's not in the Scotland squad and, most bizarre of all, Celtic just gave him a 5yr deal.

A horrendous player benefitting from being at a horrendously run club. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've seen claims he's the best RB in the country. There's been meltdowns he's not in the Scotland squad and, most bizarre of all, Celtic just gave him a 5yr deal.

Exactly this.

The fact that he’s playing for Celtic’s first team regularly is a(nother) damning indictment of their recent recruitment. The five year deal is utterly bewildering. 

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes 22 years old if hes all the player hes going to be that's fine,his heat map would light up a small city this season, all Ralston has done is prove a lot of Celtic fans wrong for me no hype.

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

Jason Cummings to me always seemed like a decent championship player at best

Can’t believe he got capped for Scotland 

I think the thing with Cummings was that he consistently banged them in for Hibs against better sides, and earned our undying approval as a result. Since he left, he's been meaningless at every other club. 

1 minute ago, The Other Foot said:

I think the thing with Cummings was that he consistently banged them in for Hibs against better sides, and earned our undying approval as a result. Since he left, he's been meaningless at every other club. 

I was down in Sunderland for work a few years back and watched them against Notts Forest not long after Cummings had signed. He came off the bench that night and looked a class above most the players on the pitch. Genuinely looked faster and stronger than most the other players and his touch was majestic. Mind coming away from that game thinking he'd rip the Championship up once he got settled.....lol

34 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The bar is set pretty low at present  the moment to fair for that and he is probably the most ‘in form’ anyway. However given he’s had a bad injury and playing twice a week  I’m happy enough he’s getting rested during international weeks. Also it’s a 4 year deal like Welsh and both will probs be on relative buttons, I do think the deals are too long though and should have options instead.

Sad to say but we Scottish fans are rubbish at over-hyping average players. The English are the masters here, drooling and talking endlessly about some player or other who changed their life and club but in reality were dross. 
I remember the 2010 World Cup. England started the tournament badly and were looking for some magic bullet to save them. The newspapers, 5Live, TalkShite and the likes started hyping up the return of Gareth Barry from injury as the answer to their problems. 
Dele Alli is the classic example of an overhyped English player.

Even their better players suffer the same - just look at Kane - scores for fun against the cannon fodder but often found wanting against the biggest teams. There's a list of the current EPL teams he has scored against by number of goals - the highest placed big teams are Chelsea and Liverpool in 10th - he has scored a total of 6 goals against each.

7 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

Gary Mackay-Steven was massively overrated. 

An absolute ghost is most games.

He was very highly rated by County's coaching team as a youth, but the fact his legs are made out of chocolate has stopped him becoming what I think he could have been.

Barasic/tav/Josh Doig/ Izaguirre - grouped these all together as majorly overhyped as ok going forward but can’t/couldn’t defend 

Wanyama - looked good cause he was big and ran about wasn’t as amazing guy as everyone made him out to be

Porteous/Mckenna - throwing yourself mindlessly in to tackles doesn’t make you a good defender 

John Souttar/Danny Wilson - being able to play 1 pass out of 20 does not make you a good player

1 hour ago, The Other Foot said:

It’s sad really because he’s a useful player on his day but he’s thicker than an elephant’s cock and loves ‘the sesh’. 

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

The bar is set pretty low at present  the moment to fair for that and he is probably the most ‘in form’ anyway. However given he’s had a bad injury and playing twice a week  I’m happy enough he’s getting rested during international weeks. Also it’s a 4 year deal like Welsh and both will probs be on relative buttons, I do think the deals are too long though and should have options instead.

In 5 years you'll be able to sum up the ineptitude of this Celtic "era" by telling folk Stephen Welsh and Tony Ralston, who'll both have been released and signed by League Two Falkirk, were regular starters and were handed 5 year deals off the back off simply playing regularly when there was nobody else.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

In 5 years you'll be able to sum up the ineptitude of this Celtic "era" by telling folk Stephen Welsh and Tony Ralston, who'll both have been released and signed by League Two Falkirk, were regular starters and were handed 5 year deals off the back off simply playing regularly when there was nobody else.

This is the biggest pile of horseshit I've ever read on this site.

Falkirk will be Lowland League at best.