WORLD CUP PLAY-OFFS: the Scottish balls-up scenario. It couldn't happen, could it?!

nate

If Scotland win then Israel is basically a dead rubber. The fact our game will be done before Israel kick a ball surely makes this a no toucher betting wise. If we fail to win that will be the time to back Israel, the price won't contract that much.
On the contrary imo, if we don't win, I see Israels odds shortening.
Irrelevant anyways, we'll pump these jobbers

Games on tonight involving competitors for seeded playoff positions.

• Georgia - Sweden (5pm)
  • Russia - Cyprus (5pm)
  • Ireland - Portugal (7:45pm)
  • Greece - Spain (7:45pm)
  • Malta - Croatia (7:45pm)

Not sure it's been posted or if there is an actual Playoff thread (I did look).

Edited by 2426255

I think there's a very slim chance we don't make the playoffs.  I don't expect us to go to Moldova tomorrow and turn in a Rolls Royce of a performance and run out 10-0 winners or anything, but I think we'll edge a pretty uncomfortable and utterly shite game to render the Israel game pointless.  After that, Monday's game looks typically ominous.  I think we'll probably provide a spirited performance against Denmark, maybe even inflict the first goal they've conceded, but I expect they'll score a fair few in return.  We'll then be unseeded, and from there it's just a question of the draw.  For me, our success in the playoffs depends purely on the seeding, and even then it's still a long shot to get through both games.

On the long shot that we absolutely shit the bed though, I don't think the Israel game is that foregone a conclusion.  They've definitely put in some great performances, particularly against Austria last time out, but I was really surprised when we played them just how limited they seemed.  Their approach seemed all wrong, preferring to shitfest the game rather than take advantage of having easily superior attacking options.  If Israel turn up fancying it, they could run over the top of them, but given Austria know they're in the playoffs, I'd imagine they'd quite fancy a good performance going into that.

8 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Sweden lost 2-0 in Georgia. Great result for us in that it hurts their points total should they finish as runners up and it means it's not just us that messes up there!

We can only catch them if we get a draw against Denmark and they lose to Spain by 2+ goals. A chance but we are hoping for good results in the Czech, Polish and Norwegian groups.

We can only catch them if we get a draw against Denmark and they lose to Spain by 2+ goals. A chance but we are hoping for good results in the Czech, Polish and Norwegian groups.
Aye, nice to have another unexpected option though. Be interesting to see where we stand after tonight

10 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Aye, nice to have another unexpected option though. Be interesting to see where we stand after tonight

Croatia winning by 3 goals isn't great. To be honest we won't know much more tonight. We are at worst 3rd bottom of the seeds regardless of remaining results.

Sweden lost 2-0 in Georgia. Great result for us in that it hurts their points total should they finish as runners up and it means it's not just us that messes up there!

The main reason it's a good result is more that Spain are less likely to be in the play-offs now.

On 07/11/2021 at 10:10, nate said:

Let's all descend into a pit of pessimism for a moment and imagine what unlikely sequence of events could deny us a play-off berth. Some good old Scottish doom and gloom. You know you love it. Here's the thing....I fully expect Israel to finish the group on 19 points. They're playing a demotivated Austria (already qualified for the play offs through the back door and consequently very unlikely to be busting a proverbial gut for this one) and then they finish the group with an easy home fixture against the Faroes(nice goal difference booster this one for the Israelis). I'd go further and say an Israel win in Vienna represents one of the best value Fixed Odds bets of the year. They've already taken five off Austria at home and have by far the best scoring record in the group, Denmark aside. They will also be fully aware that Scotland seldom, if ever, get through a qualifying campaign without dropping crucial points to one of the so-called minnows (Kazakhstan ,Belarus, Moldova, Macedonia, Faroes, Lithuania etc etc). Yep, Israel to win in Austria. Put your shirt on it.

Scotland, currently on 17 points, therefore need 3 more points from our two remaining fixtures to get that coveted play-off spot (2 points aint enough...the Israelis would pip us on goal difference). Here's the nightmare scenario...we scrape a draw in Moldova (a scrappy, nervy Torshavn type affair on a crappy pitch, our talismanic striker suspended, replacements not up to the task), and then confront Denmark needing ALL 3 points! It wont happen. We are NOT beating Denmark. It's Moldova or bust. Anyone who has followed Scotland over the decades knows that this Moldova match is precisely the kind of affair we traditionally f**k up. I can then see us drawing against Denmark at Hampden (a Braveheart performance, Hampden roar, we gave our all etc) but conceding an 89th minute equaliser and missing out on the play offs on goal difference. How Scottish would that be?

Am i the most pessimistic fan in the country or does this sequence of events sound even remotely plausible? 

Must go, have some wrists to slash...

Don't really see why you have been downvoted so much. This is bang on IMO.

I know the squad is better than in previous eastern European adventures, but it's not immune to a calamity, as we nearly saw against both Israel and the Faroes the other day.

3 hours ago, California_Caley said:

Don't really see why you have been downvoted so much. This is bang on IMO.

I know the squad is better than in previous eastern European adventures, but it's not immune to a calamity, as we nearly saw against both Israel and the Faroes the other day.

“Nearly” means it didn’t happen m8.

Games to keep an eye on outside of Group F tonight

• Group C -  Italy/Switzerland
  • Group I - Andorra/Poland, England/Albania
1 hour ago, DanMc99 said:

i might be an absolute lunatic and i've been slightly afraid to come out and say it but i think we are winning comfortably tonight. in my whole time following the national team i dont think i've said that even against minnows.

hope you're right. 

Edited by 2426255

45 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

So if we were to "get him in the sea", would he float or sink?

If he drowns, he's human, so it's no loss.
If he floats, he's a warlock - extended contract.

Definitely going to suggest this becomes part of the SFA interview process, going forward.