UEFA Prohibited clashes list

killiekranky

Never knew the UEFA Prohibited clashes list existed until today. (Thank you P&B Educational Wing).

So basically the play off draw won't be a true draw as Russia and Ukraine will be kept apart due to the political situation between them. (pretty sure they'll overcome the issue if they both make the finals.)

Options for televised closed door games or Neutral venue ignored in favor of fixed draw ? Bringing politics into the game cannot be a good thing, if you can't kick a ball around with someone for 90 minutes don't play.

**My opinions on UEFA efforts to keep teams with serious political, religious or territorial differences may be tainted by having spent my life watching a league that does it's level best to get two teams suffering from all of these issues to play each other at least 4 times a season.

Should teams be allowed to dictate who they will and won't play ?

Edited by killiekranky

Yes.

Scotland's noted history with Brazil, Germany, Argentina, Italy, France, England, and possibly a few others should see us in Qatar's group when we inevitably qualify next year.

35 minutes ago, killiekranky said:

Never knew the UEFA Prohibited clashes list existed until today. (Thank you P&B Educational Wing).

So basically the play off draw won't be a true draw as Russia and Ukraine will be kept apart due to the political situation between them. (pretty sure they'll overcome the issue if they both make the finals.)

Options for televised closed door games or Neutral venue ignored in favor of fixed draw ? Bringing politics into the game cannot be a good thing, if you can't kick a ball around with someone for 90 minutes don't play.

**My opinions on UEFA efforts to keep teams with serious political, religious or territorial differences may be tainted by having spent my life watching a league that does it's level best to get two teams suffering from all of these issues to play each other at least 4 times a season.

Should teams be allowed to dictate who they will and won't play ?

Not sure it's teams dictating as much as UEFA not wanting sued when Putin waterboards and jails  the entire Ukraine squad. 

28 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Not sure it's teams dictating as much as UEFA not wanting sued when Putin waterboards and jails  the entire Ukraine squad. 

That's a fair point. There's probably a fair bit of wanting to avoid blame/responsibility for any consequences.

Also, nobody's mentioned the war yet. I've just mentioned it once; hopefully I've got away with it.

Surely if nations can't play each other then they shouldn't be allowed in the competition.  It has to be one or the other surely?  You play each other or you're both out of the competition.

13 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Was it Azerbaijan who sent the secret police round to arrest people who had voted for Armenia on the Eurovision Song Contest one year?

Don’t know about that, but I remember that Mkhitaryan couldn’t play in a Europa league final in Baku because they couldn’t guarantee his safety in Azerbaijan.

Pretty sure Serbia and Kosovo aren’t allowed to be drawn against each other either

Edit: I also seem to remember that Spain and Gibraltar are kept apart as well. 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

13 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Surely if nations can't play each other then they shouldn't be allowed in the competition.  It has to be one or the other surely?  You play each other or you're both out of the competition.

Seems harsh.

If they're drawn together, settle with a coin toss? 

Gibraltar knocking Spain out would be funny. 

4 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Don’t know about that, but I remember that Mkhitaryan couldn’t play in a Europa league final in Baku because they couldn’t guarantee his safety in Azerbaijan.

Pretty sure Serbia and Kosovo aren’t allowed to be drawn against each other either

Edit: I also seem to remember that Spain and Gibraltar are kept apart as well. 

Kosovo can't play about 5 balkan countries. 

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Seems harsh.

If they're drawn together, settle with a coin toss? 

Gibraltar knocking Spain out would be funny. 

It's intervening with what should be a random draw.  It negates the competitiveness and is effectively rigging fixtures.

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

Like seeding? 

No not like seeding.  A bizarre question.  How does seeding stop Kosovo playing Serbia in the QF of the World Cup, if they both hypothetically got there?

6 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Kosovo can't play about 5 balkan countries. 

Aye, looked it up and it’s Serbia, Bosnia & Herzegovina and Russia that can’t play against Kosovo. Something to do with them not recognising Kosovo’s independence.

If they can’t say with any certainty that both sets of players would be safe to play the match, then it’s probably fair enough. 

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

No not like seeding.  A bizarre question.  How does seeding stop Kosovo playing Serbia in the QF of the World Cup, if they both hypothetically got there?

It's a non random part of the draw. It keeps us apart from portugal for this part of the qualifying. The point of seeding is to keep big nations (not us) apart so that they can meet at a more moneyspinning part of tournaments. 

So if we accept non random draws for that reason, why not for the saftey of players, coaches and fans? 

I'm not sure excluding Spain, Russia, Ukraine, Serbia etc from the contest would improve the competitiveness or be any fairer. 

My suggestion was to not rig the draw, but to randomise the outcome when a prohibited clash comes out. I reckon that's better. 

1 minute ago, AlbionSaint said:

Surely this wouldn't apply in a neutral venue? What would happen if two of them reached the final?

Or any round after the group stage.  Does one team just step aside?  Coin toss?  Fucking daft isn't it?

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

It's a non random part of the draw. It keeps us apart from portugal for this part of the qualifying. The point of seeding is to keep big nations (not us) apart so that they can meet at a more moneyspinning part of tournaments. 

So if we accept non random draws for that reason, why not for the saftey of players, coaches and fans? 

I'm not sure excluding Spain, Russia, Ukraine, Serbia etc from the contest would improve the competitiveness or be any fairer. 

My suggestion was to not rig the draw, but to randomise the outcome when a prohibited clash comes out. I reckon that's better. 

Having a list is bizarre.  If nation's can't guarantee the safety of all those at the game, they either should exit the competition, or the game is played at a neutral venue with no fans in attendance and only a skeleton squad of staff.

54 minutes ago, coprolite said:

No, it's to give a sense of reward to those that have performed better in the previous stage.  We deserve to be seeded for doing better than, say, North Macedonia.