UEFA Prohibited clashes list

killiekranky

4 minutes ago, forameus said:

No, it's to give a sense of reward to those that have performed better in the previous stage.  We deserve to be seeded for doing better than, say, North Macedonia.

Aye, it's completely different to keeping nations apart due to politics.

9 minutes ago, forameus said:

No, it's to give a sense of reward to those that have performed better in the previous stage.  We deserve to be seeded for doing better than, say, North Macedonia.

Seeding in the playoffs is for that reason.

Seeding in the original groups is, quite rightly, to ensure that every group is of roughly the same level of difficulty with a single entrant from each pot, thus avoiding a scenario where 6 of the best 15 teams are all in the same group meanwhile Belarus end up winning their group consisting of Malta, San Marino, Gibraltar, Narnia and Western Neptune.

I get why some people don’t like seeding but it’s absolutely a fair system imo. I actually prefer it now that the UNL is used as an objective way of climbing up the pots rather than flawed fifa ranking which can be manipulated by playing friendlies against Outer Mongolian under 15’s on the second Thursday after a full moon. 

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

Seeding in the playoffs is for that reason.

Seeding in the original groups is, quite rightly, to ensure that every group is of roughly the same level of difficulty with a single entrant from each pot, thus avoiding a scenario where 6 of the best 15 teams are all in the same group meanwhile Belarus end up winning their group consisting of Malta, San Marino, Gibraltar, Narnia and Western Neptune.

I get why some people don’t like seeding but it’s absolutely a fair system imo. I actually prefer it now that the UNL is used as an objective way of climbing up the pots rather than flawed fifa ranking which can be manipulated by playing friendlies against Outer Mongolian under 15’s on the second Thursday after a full moon. 

Yeah, I was purely talking about playoffs, but it's similar for the groups.  Seeding makes sense.  Whilst I'd quite like to see everything go open draw for the pure unbridled chaos, it doesn't really work in a serious football competition.

It's certainly not comparable to splitting countries up for political reasons.

Ultimately, if you can’t ensure a safe environment for every country you’re drawn to face then you don’t belong in the competition. Some of those conflicts seem particularly one sided tbh. I don’t think Israel would have a problem playing against an Arab side, for example. Likewise Armenia would be perfectly happy to host Azerbaijan but not vice versa. 

Hang on, if Armenia and Azerbaijan don’t play each other due to clashes over the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region, how come there’s no issue with Moldova playing Ukraine despite the fact that they are also in a conflict over a region (Transnistria)? 

Get the game(s) played at a neutral venue behind closed doors, if anyone complains about a "disadvantage" tell them to sort their government out.

We'll soon see that wars are all a bit silly and world peace achieved thanks to the game of football soccer.

2 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Same as the other two - that they don’t recognise Kosovo’s independence. 

Funnily enough - that came to a head recently as Spain didn't list Kosovo's flag and called them the "territory/federation of Kosovo" as Spain (for Catalan and Basque reasons) also doesn't recognize what is clearly an independent country - its anthem would be announced as “music donated by the territory of Kosovo rather than a national anthem.

Even El Chiringuito got in on the patter:

Ireland and France were also on the list of prohibited clashes after the Henry Incident, which was odd.

3 hours ago, Donathan said:

Hang on, if Armenia and Azerbaijan don’t play each other due to clashes over the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region, how come there’s no issue with Moldova playing Ukraine despite the fact that they are also in a conflict over a region (Transnistria)? 

well would say that:

a) there are other players involved in the Moldova/Transnistria issue. Its not just Ukraine - there is also Romania, with of course the Russian influence looming large as it does with other "break-away" states in the region including those in the Caucasus. 

b) a lot of countries under the FIFA umbrella have territorial disputes with neighbours. Not every dispute is as bitter as that over NK and although it sometimes sours bilateral relations, countries are not in a de-facto state of war because of their territorial dispute. 

39 minutes ago, Stoo61 said:

Do Greece and North Macedonia not have beef then?

Not since they agreed to be North Macedonia.

I think it was more of a big flouncy huff situation than a, "oh, you want to be Macedonia, huh? Well, how about we just re-unite you with the rest of Macedonia, then!"