Kelty Hearts v Montrose

broomiesniper

No complaints about the result.  Other than the 15 mins before halftime we were second best all afternoon.  Too many players not at it today.  Cammy, Lennox and Winker were the only ones who looked up for it .. the rest were, at best, sluggish.  Our penalties were woeful … think Liam’s one ended up on the High Street! 

Frustrating. We were utter murder for the first 20 minutes but grew into the game, and I thought we had the better of the second half. Kelty are dangerous and will be a threat to most sides next season if they keep the nucleus of that team.

Lack of clinical finishers exposed cruelly at the shootout (three utterly horrible penalties), and towards the end of normal time when a few chances were there. For the all the great things about this team, we'll let games go that we should win without a reliable goal scorer.

Off to the Lolkirk thread to cheer myself up.

That’s a good point, but then you’ve to remember that the bulk of the playing staff from both clubs are part time and have day jobs that they will need time off from. Needlessly if you play the first match to a finish.

The part time teams were the ones who wanted to retain replays at this stage due to the extra income.

Fine, fine margins. The goal we gave away early on to Cardle was criminal- the guy was given so much freedom to pick his spot and get a shot away. Montrose were terrible for the first 20 minutes- like George Shields' team staggering down from hospitality for a re-union.

However felt we really picked up after the equaliser, and had we a striker we'd have won comfortably in the second half. But we have no cutting edge at all. There were one or two near misses and a couple of goal-line clearances.

Our penalties were genuinely terrible however. Frighteningly bad. It's a pity to exit as the game with St. Johnstone would have brought in TV money and good exposure. But, it will now help Kelty establish themselves in League One next season where a top half finish- assuming they keep this team together- will more than be within their grasp.

A deserved win for Kelty today. Should have been 2 or 3 up before Montrose got their equaliser. Second half Cardle and Barjonas should have scored again while DJ didn’t really have any saves to make in the goal all day. Great saves in the shootout although heart was in the mouth that Higginbotham would try another panenka!

So excited by this I didn't even bother to  find out who our next opponents would have been.

Don't really share Ivo's wistfulness about missing out on a tie with the Perth Saintees.

The fact it would have been at home, scant advantage considering our lamentable record of easy defeats to them in too many unmemorable cup ties over the years.

Sure it would bring in some money and we could do with it more than Kelty but for me the romance of the cup Is overrated.

If Kelty beat St Johnston that will be some achievement. Good luck to them.

And yes, losing to a team from a lower division grates, however good they are and how much they deserve it.

On 04/12/2021 at 19:38, craigkillie said:

The part time teams were the ones who wanted to retain replays at this stage due to the extra income.

I don't recall any consultation relating to this. I do recall part-time sides broadly being in favour of replayed ties going straight to kicks from the penalty mark, without extra-time. 

On 04/12/2021 at 19:45, kingjoey said:

Which part time clubs in particular, wanted replays to be kept?

11 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I don't recall any consultation relating to this. I do recall part-time sides broadly being in favour of replayed ties going straight to kicks from the penalty mark, without extra-time. 

I don't know which clubs specifically, but this comes from a very good source. The replays did go straight to penalties so they got their wish in respect to that.

On 30/07/2021 at 18:04, HibeeJibee said:

I understand SFA + SPFL actually wanted to scrap replays entirely and it was representations from clubs and other leagues that saved the opening 1/2 of the cup from the general wreck.