How easy is it to make an App?

Thorongil

10 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

Nah, that’s not ‘appenin’.

If you have the time then do it yourself.  If you want the quickest turnaround and at a very reasonable cost then there are plenty of app developers that will take on contract work.

If you have never developed for mobile devices , it takes a fair bit of familiarisation.

I made an app myself a few months back with hardly any programming knowledge.

Of course, if you want something that does more than display a picture of a cat that goes "miaow" when you tap on it, I may not be your man.

14 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Of course, if you want something that does more than display a picture of a cat that goes "miaow" when you tap on it, I may not be your man.

Reckon you’ve stolen his idea.  Fucked his retirement plans probably.

Hope you’re proud of yourself.

28 minutes ago, BFTD said:

What I want is to an app which keeps track of my non sporting entertainment interests. TV, Film, Books, maybe games.

call it EnTrack or something like that. 

I’m watching so many TV shows and/or waiting for new seasons and I lose track of what has come out. 

So when setting up the app I enter Narcos, Succession, Ozark, Curb Your Enthusiasm, House of The Dragon, Ted Lasso, What We Do In The Shadows for example and whenever a new episode of something is released on any platform it sends me a notification. 

And I can also look at another tab on it at any time to see what I’ve missed or have still to watch. 

If someone wants to do the tech work I’ll make them a 50/50 partner.

Edited by Thorongil

8 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

What I want is to an app which keeps track of my non sporting entertainment interests. TV, Film, Books, maybe games.

call it EnTrack or something like that. 

I’m watching so many TV shows and/or waiting for new seasons and I lose track of what has come out. 

So when setting up the app I enter Narcos, Succession, Ozark, Curb Your Enthusiasm, House of The Dragon, Ted Lasso, What We Do In The Shadows for example and whenever a new episode of something is released on any platform it sends me a notification. 

And I can also look at another tab on it at any time to see what I’ve missed or have still to watch. 

If someone wants to do the tech work I’ll make them a 50/50 partner.

So I get one of my Indians to do all the work.  You don’t have a prototype, you haven’t told us the market share, you have no sales and you insult me by only offering 50%.

image.jpeg.62c3d6f724766c727b19b64ae62f36dc.jpeg

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

Not any more it isn’t.  I’ll do my own version and have a cat randomly pop up in it to annoy BFTD.

I’ll give options for all other types of pets as well.

A random cat popping up would never annoy me!

...unless it's Smudger  :shutup

I once attended a techy-type event where the speaker advised anyone whose boss was asking for an "app" for something, to treat it in the same way as if a child asks for a puppy. Don't dismiss it outright, but think about the long-term effects - and the fact that you need to update it for both iOS and Android. 

I'm no expert, but surely you'd be better just creating a website that's optimised for mobile devices? No need to develop and update apps, no downloads or installations, and definitely no need to have it vetted by Google / Apple. 

7 hours ago, Sylvester Sneekly said:

I once attended a techy-type event where the speaker advised anyone whose boss was asking for an "app" for something, to treat it in the same way as if a child asks for a puppy. Don't dismiss it outright, but think about the long-term effects - and the fact that you need to update it for both iOS and Android. 

I'm no expert, but surely you'd be better just creating a website that's optimised for mobile devices? No need to develop and update apps, no downloads or installations, and definitely no need to have it vetted by Google / Apple. 

You can make non native apps that don’t have to go on the app stores of Apple or Microsoft. I dunno

11 hours ago, BFTD said:

That's confusing.  I thought it was "meow".

1 hour ago, Thorongil said:

You can make non native apps that don’t have to go on the app stores of Apple or Microsoft. I dunno

But how do people find them then? That would be my first port of call whenever I was trying to get an app;.