Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

14 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

At least we definitely get to look forward to the World Cup draw next month 

If this means that a generic “Europe playoff winner” ball is going into the draw then Wales will feel aggrieved as it’d mean they’re effectively 4th seeds when ranking dictates they should be 3rd.

I’m wondering if the postponement may necessitate either a conditional draw or a postponement of the draw altogether. 

About World Cup seeding...isn't it the case that you get the top group of seeds, then the rest are largely seeded geographically?  I was sure that was the case for the World Cup itself.  If it is, it doesn't really matter who goes through, none will be top seeds.

12 hours ago, rainbowrising said:

Reading a BBC article this morning, apparently nearly half the declared Ukraine squad listed plays in the Ukraine (see end of article). Given the state of their country now and Russian trends to bomb anyone and anything I dont see them jumping on a plane or any other form of transport to get here.

BBC News - Scotland v Ukraine: What will happen to World Cup play-off semi-final?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60518732

I don't see them making june either 

53 minutes ago, forameus said:

About World Cup seeding...isn't it the case that you get the top group of seeds, then the rest are largely seeded geographically?  I was sure that was the case for the World Cup itself.  If it is, it doesn't really matter who goes through, none will be top seeds.

Not anymore, no. Since 2018 the pots are entirely based on world ranking, but still drawn such that only 2 European teams and 1 from any other continent can be in the same group 

The other thing maybe holding back on the whole Poland friendly is that Russia have taken their suspension to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. I'd imagine it would need to be heard in the next few days in order to decide if Poland are going to be expected to play Russia in the playoff semi final.

Knowing me, the friendly for us v Poland will be announced tomorrow but CAS could throw a later spanner in the works.

1 hour ago, Les Cabbage said:

I know more important things etc etc but as someone who’s booked a flight for Armenia already this is a massive kick in the balls if they decide to move the away game.

For that reason they may well decide that Scotland v Ukraine is scheduled for 7th June (the date we are due to play them in Glasgow anyway for a nations League match)  The final could potentially go-ahead on Saturday 11th June - not much notice but there are only 5 days between original (and current) dates.  June of course cannot be certain but its worth one more go........

1 minute ago, Caledonian1 said:

For that reason they may well decide that Scotland v Ukraine is scheduled for 7th June (the date we are due to play them in Glasgow anyway for a nations League match)  The final could potentially go-ahead on Saturday 11th June - not much notice but there are only 5 days between original (and current) dates.  June of course cannot be certain but its worth one more go........

Maybe they can use the one fixture on June-07 to decide two outcomes (Playoff and Nations League. Wouldn't that be a laugh. 😁

9 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
39 minutes ago, 2426255 said:
Maybe they can use the one fixture on June-07 to decide two outcomes (Playoff and Nations League. Wouldn't that be a laugh. emoji16.png

Hilarious

Sarcasm

I think they should ask Ukraine to sit out the Nations League and guarantee them a place in League B for the next one around. That would solve a lot of the issues, and we could play them in the space where we were meant to play them as a Nations League fixture. The expulsion of Russia will presumably mean they are automatically relegated to League C anyway, and the two groups of three (ours and Russia's) could have their bottom sides play-off to decide on the other relegation place.

If Ukraine don't want to do that and think they might be around for the Nations League then fair enough, but it might be an option that actually lets them focus their attentions on the World Cup, which is presumably much more important to them.

Football Association of Wales CEO Noel Mooney has previously said that he is expecting a postponement.

Mooney told BBC Wales’ Breakfast programme last week: “We are planning to play against Austria on the 24th of March in Cardiff City stadium. I spoke to Rob Page for example yesterday, we’re all set for that. but then the news came through yesterday about Ukraine requesting a postponement of the match to June, so we’ve written to FIFA and to UEFA yesterday and we wrote to the other associations involved to say we should meet as soon as possible, early next week, to discuss how this would work because we’ve got a plethora of Nations League games of course in June.

I promise you that we’ll make a decision early next week, at the latest I would say, and then fans can look forward to either March or June to play our World Cup play-offs

https://nation.cymru/sport/wales-world-cup-play-offs-likely-to-be-moved-as-scotland-v-ukraine-postponed-to-june/

Surprised that UEFA seem to be considering postponing the Wales v Austria as well. I figured that one would just go ahead on 24th March but our SF and the final would be postponed. 

I don't understand that either. They're preparing for it, there's no threat to that game, so why postpone a bunch of other matches?