Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

6 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Does that mean Ireland in Dublin moved?

Sorry, Ukraine game is the 7th, not the 9th, so if our final is the 5th rather than the 4th then I don't know how that impacts everything. Will guess the Ireland game won't be affected though.

That's the majority of the 16 domestic players from the last Ukraine squad playing some games now.

Dynamo Kyiv played a few days ago in Poland. A good 8 or 9 international squad regulars were involved in the game.
From what I can see the only obvious international player missing from the Dynamo squad was Zabarnyi.

Shakhtar defender Kryvtsov apparently went to Romania with a youth team a few weeks ago to train but wasn't playing for Shakhtar in their recent friendly. Not sure what's happening with him yet.

Considering a possible Ukraine starting 11, it's only really those two potentially starting defenders who are not back playing atm.

Based on the stuff in the media this morning (https://t.co/7PJgXSpfXg) it appears it’ll be something along the lines of:

Scotland v Ukraine (play off) - 01/06

Wales v Ukraine/Scotland- 05/06

Scotland v Ukraine (NL) - 08/06

Ireland v Scotland - 11/06

Armenia v Scotland- 14/06

Scotland v Ireland - 22/09

Ukraine v Scotland(NL) - 25/09

Scotland v Armenia - 28/09

2 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I’m a bit concerned that Ukraine effectively have 6 weeks to prepare solely for this now whereas we will have a tired squad coming straight out of the club season 

Works the other way too though, so long without a competitive game could work in our favour.

The famous example is the 2016 cup final where Hibs had played about 10 games in 3 weeks with the play offs and Rangers had no competitive matches in 3 weeks and they weren’t on it at all.

6 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

Based on the stuff in the media this morning (https://t.co/7PJgXSpfXg) it appears it’ll be something along the lines of:

This would make sense to me. I’d rather have the playoffs before the NL and moving one NL game back to September is preferable than having to fit games into November.

Having 4/5 competitive fixtures in a 2-week period in June will require shrewd management of the squad by Steve Clarke but honestly there are few irreplaceable players in our first choice XI. Andy Robertson is one (especially with Tierney out), Craig Gordon too (but lots of games is less of an issue for a keeper) and maybe John McGinn. Pretty much everyone else has a backup who can be inserted without too much of a drop off.

Robertson and McGinn’s minutes will need to be managed. I’d think if we win the playoff SF, then they’ll be rested for the Ukraine UNL game. If we lose the SF then congestion is a bit less of an issue unless UEFA force us to play a silly friendly in that slot but if that happened I’d be trotting out a 3rd string XI. 

Seems a properly mental schedule for us to get through, but good to at least get some clarity and let people start to plan for what is our biggest match in fucking ages.  We're going to be absolutely dead on our feet by the time we reach Dublin, let alone Armenia.

24 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

That's a tough looking schedule. Just going to have to make the best of it. Zero training time and just game after game really. In fairness we are mostly UK based in June which is a godsend. The Ukraine away game isn't ideal sandwiched between Ireland and Armenia in September to be fair. It's an okay schedule and fair solution if that's what's decided - but I sort of preferred the double up idea, if we could have stomached the risk and loss of money I think it would have been easier. 😁

43 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I’m a bit concerned that Ukraine effectively have 6 weeks to prepare solely for this now whereas we will have a tired squad coming straight out of the club season 

I find these sort of arguments convenient for whoever loses. If we win Ukraine will say they lacked match sharpness, if Ukraine win we'll say we were knackered. The only positive I think Ukraine have here is that their players will be less likely to be injured going into it but hopefully we avoid any further disasters there. It's a pish situation but not one we can do anything about, just need to back the team and hopefully we pull through it. 

What size of squad are we allowed to call up for these games? 

Edited by The Moonster

27 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I find these sort of arguments convenient for whoever loses. If we win Ukraine will say they lacked match sharpness, if Ukraine win we'll say we were knackered. The only positive I think Ukraine have here is that their players will be less likely to be injured going into it but hopefully we avoid any further disasters there. It's a pish situation but not one we can do anything about, just need to back the team and hopefully we pull through it. 

What size of squad are we allowed to call up for these games? 

I'm not sure it has been confirmed yet, but I'd imagine squads of 25+ will be available for the UNL.  It's 4 x matches for everyone else, so highly unlikely to be the normal 23?  Presumably, it will also be easy to swap players in/out as necessary (like we did with various centre backs throughout 2020 and 2021).

Perhaps, we need to have 5/6 players on standby to cover?  I'd be surprised if we didn't lose half a dozen players by game 4/5.

All of that said, the Euros and WC, is 23-man teams, and they can play up to 7 games in 4-5 weeks.  There's a bit more gap between games, but generally the pressures and stresses are similar.

37 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

I'm not sure it has been confirmed yet, but I'd imagine squads of 25+ will be available for the UNL.  It's 4 x matches for everyone else, so highly unlikely to be the normal 23?  Presumably, it will also be easy to swap players in/out as necessary (like we did with various centre backs throughout 2020 and 2021).

Perhaps, we need to have 5/6 players on standby to cover?  I'd be surprised if we didn't lose half a dozen players by game 4/5.

All of that said, the Euros and WC, is 23-man teams, and they can play up to 7 games in 4-5 weeks.  There's a bit more gap between games, but generally the pressures and stresses are similar.

Is there actually a limit on squad size for UNL/qualifiers/friendlies? Obviously you can only name 11 starters and 12 substitutes for the matches itself and use 5/6 substitutes during the game but I’m not sure there’s anything stopping you naming a bigger squad than that and rotating as you please.

I’d be taking 33-35 players for this international break

Goalkeepers (4) - Gordon, Marshall, Clark and Kelly 

Defenders (14) - O’Donnell, Robertson, Hickey, Taylor, Ralston, McTominay, Hanley, Cooper, McKenna, Hendry, Halkett, Souttar, Gallagher, Porteous

Midfielders (9) - McGregor, McGinn, Gilmour, Jack, McLean, Armstrong, Ferguson, Fleck 

Forwards (6) - Dykes, Adams, Christie, Brown, Stewart, Fraser

Assuming no Tierney, Patterson and Nisbet

46 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

The number of games is relentless in football, but this takes it a step further for me. Football being absolutely rinsed for all it's worth and I don't even know what would be classed as success or failure for Steve Clarke and Scotland given the circumstances.

At this point I'd happily take a World Cup place and 2nd or even 3rd in our Nations League group come the end of June and see what we can do in September.

12 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

The number of games is relentless in football, but this takes it a step further for me. Football being absolutely rinsed for all it's worth and I don't even know what would be classed as success or failure for Steve Clarke and Scotland given the circumstances.

At this point I'd happily take a World Cup place and 2nd or even 3rd in our Nations League group come the end of June and see what we can do in September.

Winning the UNL group is important. Not only would it guarantee us a playoff for the next Euros, but also to be in pot 2 for the qualifying proper.

Finishing 2nd we might sneak into the playoffs as the chances are most league A teams and the league B group winners will qualify directly.

Finish 3rd and there’s a serious risk that we won’t be in the playoffs.

Finishing bottom would be an absolute disaster. 

50 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Winning the UNL group is important. Not only would it guarantee us a playoff for the next Euros, but also to be in pot 2 for the qualifying proper.

Finishing 2nd we might sneak into the playoffs as the chances are most league A teams and the league B group winners will qualify directly.

Finish 3rd and there’s a serious risk that we won’t be in the playoffs.

Finishing bottom would be an absolute disaster. 

I'm talking about what's realistic in terms of defining success. To win the Nations League Group and also get World Cup place is a big ask. I'm not expecting that. If we qualify for the World Cup and ultimately finish our NL group in 4th, I wouldn't complain and anything in between is fine. That's just how I see it.

Look at our record in triple headers, we struggle to manage them. 5 games in 2 weeks is a step up. 5 points from the first half of Nations League games would be good going in my view.

Edited by 2426255

Is there actually a limit on squad size for UNL/qualifiers/friendlies? Obviously you can only name 11 starters and 12 substitutes for the matches itself and use 5/6 substitutes during the game but I’m not sure there’s anything stopping you naming a bigger squad than that and rotating as you please.

I’d be taking 33-35 players for this international break

Goalkeepers (4) - Gordon, Marshall, Clark and Kelly 

Defenders (14) - O’Donnell, Robertson, Hickey, Taylor, Ralston, McTominay, Hanley, Cooper, McKenna, Hendry, Halkett, Souttar, Gallagher, Porteous

Midfielders (9) - McGregor, McGinn, Gilmour, Jack, McLean, Armstrong, Ferguson, Fleck 

Forwards (6) - Dykes, Adams, Christie, Brown, Stewart, Fraser

Assuming no Tierney, Patterson and Nisbet

I don't think there's a squad limit, but if he's only picked 26/27 players for triple headers in the past I doubt he'll go for much more than that. You're just carrying dead weight at that point, and it's easy enough to ask someone to be on standby instead.