Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

2 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I wonder if he’d be saying that if he was still playing and this was his big chance as a player to get to a World Cup? 

Dalglish had a "big chance " to go to Mexico in 1986 and decided against it when his mate Hansen was not selected.  I never quite looked upon Dalglish as fondly after that.

37 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Dalglish had a "big chance " to go to Mexico in 1986 and decided against it when his mate Hansen was not selected.  I never quite looked upon Dalglish as fondly after that.

That was Ferguson's fault for omitting a world class centre back like Hansen in preference to the utter donkey that was McLeish ( or Miller, or whatever donkey it was.....slipping into the mists of history now, so no point pondering it obsessively but that goal against Brazil - different World Cup I know - did someone nail McLeish's feet to the turf ?!! ).

3 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I wonder if he’d be saying that if he was still playing and this was his big chance as a player to get to a World Cup? 

Well possibly not, but as Donathan said he is speaking about letting Ukraine into the 2026 World Cup so unless i've picked you up wrong it shouldn't have a massive impact on Scotland.

Without getting philosophical, I don't agree that a person is incapable of acting outside of a self interested point of view and so if someone makes an altruistic statement then I'm fine to just accept it at face value. While I like outside the box thinking and cynical thinking, I have seen no good basis or evidence to suggest Kenny Dalglish is virtue signaling. He might be, but I just haven't seen a strong case against him. 

1 hour ago, kennie makevin said:

That was Ferguson's fault for omitting a world class centre back like Hansen in preference to the utter donkey that was McLeish ( or Miller, or whatever donkey it was.....slipping into the mists of history now, so no point pondering it obsessively but that goal against Brazil - different World Cup I know - did someone nail McLeish's feet to the turf ?!! ).

Miller & McLeish donkeys :lol:

Go and have a lie down 

3 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

I thought Dalgleish was injured/legs had gone. He barely played that season did he not?

23 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Miller & McLeish donkeys :lol:

Go and have a lie down 

In a Scotland shirt(Aberdeen a separate case) McLeish especially was a donkey in human form. Oor Willie not so much if fairness be a thing.  I doubt Mark Hughes & Ian Rush had an easier game in their whole career for Wales than the 86 World Cup qualifier at Hampden.  

But, hey, all Hansen could counter the Miller/McLeish hype factory with was 8 English titles, 3 European Cup medals, 2 FA Cups, 4 English league Cups & First Division championship with Thistle....little wonder so few Scots rated him !!!!

1 hour ago, kennie makevin said:

In a Scotland shirt(Aberdeen a separate case) McLeish especially was a donkey in human form. Oor Willie not so much if fairness be a thing.  I doubt Mark Hughes & Ian Rush had an easier game in their whole career for Wales than the 86 World Cup qualifier at Hampden.  

Kennie surmises that the easiest game that Liverpool's Ian Rush and Barcelona/Bayern/Chelsea/Utd's Hughes had in their whole career resulted in a one nil win due to a contentious goal.

Always great to have new insightful analysis on this part of the Board - whether it be fishing and/or through spouting attention seeking absolute nonsense.  

13 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

Kennie surmises that the easiest game that Liverpool's Ian Rush and Barcelona/Bayern/Chelsea/Utd's Hughes had in their whole career resulted in a one nil win due to a contentious goal.

Always great to have new insightful analysis on this part of the Board - whether it be fishing and/or through spouting attention seeking absolute nonsense.  

'For Wales' ? Every chance but debatable and merely a matter of opinion, I concede. What , however, is neither up for debate nor attention seeking or indeed nonsense, is that Alan Hansen enjoyed a far more successful and far more garlanded career than either McLeish or Miller. Moreover he did this while playing at a far higher level and against better opposition. These are facts. It is of course only an opinion that those facts by their very nature mean that Alan Hansen was a better footballer than Alex McLeish or Willie Miller.  How do you judge talent after all...

Polish media reporting their game v Wales has been moved to 1st June which would suggest the final will probably be on the 5th.

Worth booking accommodation free cancellation for Cardiff now before it goes mental after it's announced if you're planning on going.

10 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Well possibly not, but as Donathan said he is speaking about letting Ukraine into the 2026 World Cup so unless i've picked you up wrong it shouldn't have a massive impact on Scotland.

Without getting philosophical, I don't agree that a person is incapable of acting outside of a self interested point of view and so if someone makes an altruistic statement then I'm fine to just accept it at face value. While I like outside the box thinking and cynical thinking, I have seen no good basis or evidence to suggest Kenny Dalglish is virtue signaling. He might be, but I just haven't seen a strong case against him. 

Yes but I was still thinking that it’s likely to be at the expense of a place for other European sides who all may have few chances to go.

Yet I suppose it’s pretty difficult to have a good solution that won’t disadvantage someone and at least this has fewer disadvantages than some ideas.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Does suggest we're probably playing Ukraine again on the 9th and that the "double up" idea has correctly been binned. Would have preferred a longer break between the semi and potential final though.

Does that mean Ireland in Dublin moved?