Relegation doomed 6-fingered sister sh*ggers v Europe bound resurgent mighty Reds

Guest Bob Mahelp

2 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

You've quoted the wrong part of the rules, though. 

"It is an offence if a player:

• scores in the opponents' goal:
    • directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper
    • immediately after the ball has touched their hand/arm, even if accidental"

It's 100% a foul, we just got very lucky the refs didn't see it.  

The game was a stick on 0-0 until the referee screwed up, in the same way as it happened at Easter Road against Hibs. Doesn’t excuse how poor we are in the final third of the pitch! 

2 minutes ago, resk said:

You've quoted the wrong part of the rules, though. 

"It is an offence if a player:

• scores in the opponents' goal:
    • directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper
    • immediately after the ball has touched their hand/arm, even if accidental"

It's 100% a foul, we just got very lucky the refs didn't see it.  

I'd like to see if there's a specific definition of the word immediately within the laws before accepting it was a foul.

Guest Bob Mahelp

It was a ridiculously obvious handball (if you could see it), but we've lost points because we've been kicked in the nuts by referees at Ibrox and Tannadice, so as tough as it is for St Johnsone we deserved a break. 

Overall it would surprise nobody to know that this was a typical St J - Aberdeen game, albeit with a lot more bite than normal. Both sides had good spells, and both sides were let down by a lack of composure in the final third. 

Not really surprisingly, Aberdeen had most of the ball and moved it far better than Saints. Watkins and Hedges didn't have their best games, and Ramirez...while putting in a hell of a work....got most of the ball 25 yards from goal with his back to it. 

Pleasingly though, this is the type of game Aberdeen would have lost just a month ago. We look like a different team now. 

i

BTW from my seat that Ramirez shot right at the end looked in the whole way as you could see it was bending and dipping.

Genuinely thought Clark was about to caught out.

Just finished watching the replay on Alba. Surprisingly enjoyable fpr Dons V Farmers. A lot of that enjoyment came from the Jonnies new found tactic of hitting the deck a lot and whining like f**k. Added a bit of interest to an otherwise meh opponent. 

I thought Glass had fucked it by taking Jet off for Jenks. Jet was having his best domestic game for us and Jenks had done f all until he scored, plus after Jet had come off the Fermers were on top. But turns out it was a genius move. 

I haven't seen the thread yet but i'm expecting some cranial detachment from the countryside. 

Their one chance aside, that was fairly comfortable for a one nil. 

9 hours ago, FrankChickens1 said:

What a joke Scottish football is. 

Good career but Scottish football will be a better place once cokeheid broon retires and stops intimidating refs out of giving him the cards he deserves. 

Just the one. P&b's fermers otherwise showing a disappointing grasp of reality. 

9 hours ago, shibbydoo said:

Sorry lol 

Just saw the goal - fucking hell. If that's not a handball what is??????

9634752.gif.0706ea329326c81af90ea1a6b938c1c2.gif

According to rules it's a handball but the rules are stupid. No way he handled that on purpose. 

Your own player does that and you're screaming to play the whistle. 

The goal in this game is exactly the reason why I wouldn't want VAR in Scottish football. Absolutely no way it would've stood with VAR and fans would be robbed of celebrating a late winner for something that it's debatable whether or not it's a deliberate act to handle the ball. I know it's easy to sit on this side of the fence after one has gone for your team and I would probably have a heads gone if it went against us. However, Jenks didn't deliberately handle it, in my opinion, of course he gained an advantage by it hitting his arm, did he cheat, no. The problem with VAR that I have in its current guise is that it looks for reasons to not allow goals from open play (offside, handball, foul in build up) yet looks for reasons to award penalty kicks. It's not being used for clear and obvious errors, it's being used with those parameters.

You don’t have to cheat for it to be a foul. I’d be quite happy if not every little glancing touch off an arm that was an irrelevance to the goal being scored didn’t constitute a handball - but in this instance he’s virtually caught it and it’s dropped right at his feet to lash it in. Lovely finish but the fact he’s kept it in the air with his hand - intentionally or not - is critical to that goal being scored.

As far as Saints go, it’s all very well being defensively solid for the most part - we’re not getting pumped at any stage - but if you don’t keep the ball and have chances of your own at any stage this kind of shit is going to happen.

Guest Bob Mahelp

By no means were St Johnstone bad yesterday. Organised in defence, and working extremely hard.....but you seem to be missing any kind of attacking intent in midfield.

I don't think you'll go down, but as RG pointed out last week, it's a tricky league this season with no obviously doomed candidate from the beginning. 

Teams like Ross County and Livi are putting results together and actually look decent, and St Mirren will scrape enough points not to go down. Hibs are falling like a stone but sadly are too good to go down, and anyway a new boss will drag them back up the league. 

Favourites at this moment in time, providing St Johnstone can find their mojo, are obviously Dundee. 

It's an interesting bottom 6 though.

7 hours ago, coprolite said:

According to rules it's a handball but the rules are stupid. No way he handled that on purpose. 

Your own player does that and you're screaming to play the whistle. 

5 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

The goal in this game is exactly the reason why I wouldn't want VAR in Scottish football. Absolutely no way it would've stood with VAR and fans would be robbed of celebrating a late winner for something that it's debatable whether or not it's a deliberate act to handle the ball. I know it's easy to sit on this side of the fence after one has gone for your team and I would probably have a heads gone if it went against us. However, Jenks didn't deliberately handle it, in my opinion, of course he gained an advantage by it hitting his arm, did he cheat, no. The problem with VAR that I have in its current guise is that it looks for reasons to not allow goals from open play (offside, handball, foul in build up) yet looks for reasons to award penalty kicks. It's not being used for clear and obvious errors, it's being used with those parameters.

I take it the village dafties are only allowed on the internet in the middle of the night?

39 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I take it the village dafties are only allowed on the internet in the middle of the night?

What's daft? 

You like the rule? You thought it was intentional? 

I'll assume you don't think Jenks should have stopped and owned up. 

Its very simple really.

You can't use your hands in football. The ball changed trajectory after hitting his hand, directly leading to the goal, therefore its a handball.

It doesn't matter if its intentional, just like if you're chasing an attacker, trip over your own feet and fall into him, you're giving away a free kick.

I don't understand why so many fans refuse to accept their club benefitted from a wrong decision tbh. Next it'll be proper OF behaviour of claiming its fine because we got a wrongly awarded throw in.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its very simple really.

You can't use your hands in football. The ball changed trajectory after hitting his hand, directly leading to the goal, therefore its a handball.

It doesn't matter if its intentional, just like if you're chasing an attacker, trip over your own feet and fall into him, you're giving away a free kick.

I don't understand why so many fans refuse to accept their club benefitted from a wrong decision tbh. Next it'll be proper OF behaviour of claiming its fine because we got a wrongly awarded throw in.

It matters because i don't want to feel like we won by cheating. Fully accept that we got away with an infringement. To me it feels more like scoring from a foul throw than from a penalty won by a dive, which i'm more comfortable with. 

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

It matters because i don't want to feel like we won by cheating. Fully accept that we got away with an infringement. To me it feels more like scoring from a foul throw than from a penalty won by a dive, which i'm more comfortable with. 

To me you didn't "cheat" to win, you benefitted from a poor decision. Its different.

Jenks simply plays to the whistle. 

The goal shouldn't have stood though, and from what I read people seemed to be contesting that. Apologies if I've misread things.

The thing is that if that happens in our own box and Jenks is defending, then it's not a penalty to Saints because the ball has hit is arm, rather than him moving towards it and his arm is in a natural position. So, it's a foul at the edge of one box because we score but not in the other. And I'm the one that's daft. 

Edited by 10menwent2mow

14 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

The thing is that if that happens in our own box and Jenks is defending, then it's not a penalty to Saints because the ball has hit is arm, rather than him moving towards it and his arm is in a natural position. So, it's a foul at the edge of one box because we score but not in the other. And I'm the one that's daft. 

I actually think it would be, he basically controlled it with his arm.