The Phenomenon that is Arbroath F.C...................Will the bubble burst?

Just now, ecto said:

These players are full time, the clubs below are mostly part time, see the problem

Not really, as none of the poor players at Morton, Ayr etc are good enough to remain full time next season. Their best option is to get a loan or partial pay off and attempt to get themselves a decent part time contract for next season. 

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Not really, as none of the poor players at Morton, Ayr etc are good enough to remain full time next season. Their best option is to get a loan or partial pay off and attempt to get themselves a decent part time contract for next season.

Good luck with that

4 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Could’ve said the same last year or the year before. A lot of these guys seem to have done the FT rounds for years

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Could’ve said the same last year or the year before. A lot of these guys seem to have done the FT rounds for years

Yeah, but there comes a point when the likes of McGinty and Salkeld don’t have David Hopkin to fall back on - I can’t see any way in which they get another FT contract! 

8 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Yeah, but there comes a point when the likes of McGinty and Salkeld don’t have David Hopkin to fall back on - I can’t see any way in which they get another FT contract! 

Sean McGinty is nearly 30 years old and has managed it his entire career. Guys like him and Salkeld will pick up clubs cause FT teams still need squad filler type players. Either up here or down south

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Sean McGinty is nearly 30 years old and has managed it his entire career. Guys like him and Salkeld will pick up clubs cause FT teams still need squad filler type players. Either up here or down south

I don’t see it this time, but it remains to be seen! Neither are capable of being squad fillers. 

14 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It's the way of the game for many. Dumped by Celtic or Rangers at age 19 and filter their way down until they find their level. A good agent could mean they get to stretch that filtering process for 10+ years

6 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I don’t see it this time, but it remains to be seen! Neither are capable of being squad fillers. 

We are a nation of recyclers, whether it be players or managers, the same, the same ones go round and round, always finding a club to give them a gig

It's quite similar to watching them romp through league one. At Christmas, they were 13 points ahead of us having been ridiculously consistent while we'd suffered some ridiculous injuries. Obviously, this league is far tighter but everyone in that league felt that they'd need to go on a bad run at some point, and they never did until it was too late. Obviously, it's different here, but the next month will really tell for them. 

Think the league will remain a 4 horse race between Arbroath, Kilmarnock, Inverness and Raith - but also expect Partick and Hamilton to be pressing hard for a top 4 finish.

Too soon to call the league winners, but think Arbroath will at least make the play offs and have as good a chance as the others to win the league.

Don't expect Arbroath's form to tail off as they are a squad of winners, they don't like losing - I think this could go to the wire, with Arbroath very much in the mix, along with the Raith, Inverness and Kilmarnock. Too early to call.

19 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

Think the league will remain a 4 horse race between Arbroath, Kilmarnock, Inverness and Raith - but also expect Partick and Hamilton to be pressing hard for a top 4 finish.

Too soon to call the league winners, but think Arbroath will at least make the play offs and have as good a chance as the others to win the league.

Don't expect Arbroath's form to tail off as they are a squad of winners, they don't like losing - I think this could go to the wire, with Arbroath very much in the mix, along with the Raith, Inverness and Kilmarnock. Too early to call.

I’ll wait 5/6 games post Nouble to make my mind up. If we had him I genuinely couldn’t see why not. Sure we will make some signings and strengthen too like the other teams....

I don’t really like the hype too much although it’s kind of not too bad because a lot of people are hoping the best for us instead of wanting us to fail 

3 hours ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

just maybe, we could create a little bit of history by becoming the first part time team to play in the Premiership.

I meant only in the Premiership and completely part time.

I am old enough to remember AFC playing in the old first division a couple of times with all part time players. I seem to remember that in a second season in that division we were doing OK until Hearts, who were having a hard time around the bottom of the league, came to Gayfield and beat us 6-0 iirc. We never won another game that season and were relegated. I don't think Hearts lost another game that season and avoided relegation.

20 minutes ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

I meant only in the Premiership and completely part time.

I am old enough to remember AFC playing in the old first division a couple of times with all part time players. I seem to remember that in a second season in that division we were doing OK until Hearts, who were having a hard time around the bottom of the league, came to Gayfield and beat us 6-0 iirc. We never won another game that season and were relegated. I don't think Hearts lost another game that season and avoided relegation.

But as has already been said there have been plenty part-time/hybrid teams made it to the Premier/premiership (whatever the feck it’s been called) post 1976 reconstruction.

If (big if) we make it, I can’t see how we could stay fully part-time and even remotely compete.

14 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

But as has already been said there have been plenty part-time/hybrid teams made it to the Premier/premiership (whatever the feck it’s been called) post 1976 reconstruction.

If (big if) we make it, I can’t see how we could stay fully part-time and even remotely compete.

Yeah would need to sign like 8 full time boys and then have them train 2 days and then 2 nights with us or whatever. Anyway I really hate discussing this because we’re in an extremely tight 5 horse race at the moment and are just about to lose one of our star men after next week. 

1 hour ago, Rugbypark said:

Respect to Arbroath, but I suspect Killie will appoint a manager that will propel us to the top of the league. Plus a couple of key signings.

Suppose, time will tell

2 hours ago, clashcityrocker said:

Being lumped in with this Hamilton side is the most offensive thing I've read about Thistle on this forum.