Winter Olympics Beijing 2022

Bully Wee Villa

5 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Why wouldn't just draw in to the 8 foot and take 1 there?

It’s like the China game all over again. GB could easily have scored 1 with the hammer and had a score line that actually reflected the game but they preferred hitting the opposition out of stones which technically meant a steal at the end leading to a score line that made the game look a lot closer than it actually was.

2 minutes ago, Donathan said:

It’s like the China game all over again. GB could easily have scored 1 with the hammer and had a score line that actually reflected the game but they preferred hitting the opposition out of stones which technically meant a steal at the end leading to a score line that made the game look a lot closer than it actually was.

The game was never close.  Bar the Swedish skip playing some tremendous shots it would have been a complete rout.  Sweden never looked like winning though.

Team Mouat have now officially qualified for the semi finals along with Sweden with both teams only have lost one game so far.

Canada are the favourites to clinch 3rd place at 5-3, but must beat us on Thursday to be sure. USA will clinch 4th place with a win against Denmark. If either of those two slip up then the door is open for Switzerland or the ROC to pinch a SF spot.

I think winning the last two RR games to clinch the 1 seed is crucial for Mouat. I know we lost to USA but they’ve looked pretty ordinary in their other games and so have Switzerland and ROC. I’d much rather have one of those three in the SF than have to potentially play Canada, plus it would also guarantee having the hammer first in the Final if we make it. 

Fair amount of commotion about the Russian figure skating girl. Rightly so too it would seem.

But I must say, and this as someone who couldn't give a toss about the 'sport'; her routine, allied with some incredibly haunting music (In Memoriam by Kirill Richter I've subsequently found it) was really quite mesmerising.

16 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Fair amount of commotion about the Russian figure skating girl. Rightly so too it would seem.

But I must say, and this as someone who couldn't give a toss about the 'sport'; her routine, allied with some incredibly haunting music (In Memoriam by Kirill Richter I've subsequently found it) was really quite mesmerising.

Aye best by miles 

Let her compete

But hunt out those that abused her

The grandad line was corny though 

Like Christie and ginseng 

Looks like the men's curling will be the only chance for a GB medal. Even if the women qualify they would really need to raise their game to even win bronze.

Some frantic turd polishing on the BBC Sport website. Yes, Ryding was in gold medal position after his second run, but he was never going to stay in the medals.4dc53288b60a7e8a680804bece0134cf.jpg

Team Mouat looking good to get to 7-1 with a healthy lead over ROC after six ends. Last game against Canada is at 1am overnight and the semi final is tomorrow lunchtime. 

No game for Muirhead at lunchtime as they have a bye but we need to be strongly rooting for USA to beat Japan and Denmark to beat Korea. If those results come off then team Muirhead will make the semi finals with a win against ROC at 6am tomorrow. If they don’t come off then GB can still make the SF but would need to get a win and some help in the last games.

ROC hung around but Mouat and co hold their nerve and win 8-6. Reminds me of the games against China and Sweden which both looked like fairly comfortable wins in the first half but then the other team managed to stick around right until the end and made Mouat win it with his last stone. 

Situation ahead of the last mens set of games:

GB/SWE locked into the top two spots.

GB clinch first with a win over Canada or a Sweden loss to Switzerland. Sweden clinch first with a win and a GB loss.

Canada are locked into third place.

USA will clinch the last semi final spot with a win over Denmark or a Norway loss to Italy. Norway will clinch it with a win over Italy and a USA loss.

Switzerland, ROC, China, Italy and Denmark are just playing for pride at this point. 

10 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Interesting to see how tonights matches are playing out in the Womens curling - Canada, South Korea and Sweden all currently losing at half way stage - should these results stay the same it brings a few more into the potential 5-4 pack

Can pretty much forget all that - a lot has changed in 6th end - Canada just scored a 5 against China and Korea now level with Denmark......oh dear