Saints v Saintees - Wednesday 9 February

43 minutes ago, elvis said:

You haven't seen us at home diabolical is putting it mildly

"Diabolical" is OTT of course but you know......

Beyond the bizarre Celtic backs-to-the-wall job I can't really say I've come away from the ground this season thinking "that was a good performance."

Bits have been good: first 20 minutes against Rangers, the 27 shots (0 goals) against Ross County, Aberdeen 2 weeks ago was professional I suppose you would say. The best was probably the 3-2 Aberdeen which we did well to turn round but it was against 10 men. I'd high hopes for Motherwell last week but Brophy's injury unsettled us and we ended up with 4 different centre-forwards over the 90 minutes.

Hopefully we're building now to things clicking on Wednesday for a good all round performance and victory.

St Mirren massive favourites for this. They were the better side in an awful 0-0 (shock horror) at McDiarmid last time out, and this time Saints are without;

Wotherspoon

Rooney

O’Halloran

Cifti

Bryson

Kane 

all injured, and Hallberg suspended. New signing Bair probably won’t be eligible either. 

"Diabolical" is OTT of course but you know......

Indeed, we haven’t lost a game in Paisley since October, thats six unbeaten. In fact we have only lost three homes games all season in all competitions; Hearts, Rangers and bizarrely Dundee. Diabolical home form it is not.
We have just played four consecutive games against teams above us in the league, won three and drew one. Now for a team below us in the league, should be easier, right?
This will be a different kind of game against a notoriously negative side who will sit deep and try to stop us playing. Both matches between the sides this season have been turgid 0-0’s and I see the snoozefest Saintees had yet another of those at the weekend. Expect similar attrition here, I wonder if we could have four 0-0’s, like us and Clyde did circa 2003?
This type of game should be a good warm up for the more important match against Kelty on Saturday actually, Scottish Cup the priority for us now.
However I do note with trepidation that MacPherson hasn’t yet scored for his new club. He must be due one of those one in ten performances he had, where he looks brilliant, dominates the midfield and scores a raker from outside the box. Wouldn’t it be just typical.
Hopefully not, 0-0 and everyone to say afterwards that was one of the worst games they’ve ever seen. Just like they did after the other games between us this season.

We have absolutely nothing to fear here, there is not a single player in the St Johnstone ranks that should concern Goodwin.

Does that mean it's a guaranteed 3 points? Of course not, but a draw could be considered dropping 2 points.

Word for the game, "stuffy"

9 hours ago, Lex said:

Indeed, we haven’t lost a game in Paisley since October, thats six unbeaten. In fact we have only lost three homes games all season in all competitions; Hearts, Rangers and bizarrely Dundee. Diabolical home form it is not.

Yes, hard to beat but 2 wins from 12 league games at home is not what we we would have hoped for.

On paper this is a low score draw but think there will be a win here. If we lose at least hope it's because we've pressed for the win, rather than sitting in hoping for a break. But we all know what's coming. 

If we believe that the Kelty game was a turning point, you'd not expect CD to change defence that's only conceded one goal in the 3 games since, so expect Sang won't start. Shame as I'd like to see him against Jones rather than Brown. Gallacher and Middleton to make an appearance earlier than Saturday (unless there's another red card) and fingers crossed at least one of the new strikers makes an appearance. 

So basically the same team but with MacPherson in for Hallberg.

Clark

Brown  Cleary Gordon McCart Booth

MacPherson Butterfield

Crawford

Hendry    May

1-0 away win. Would say pen (MacPherson) as we're not likely to score from open play but I'm not sure we've had a penalty all season? *

*edit my mistake, 1st game of the season McCann missed one away at county. So that's us 25 league games and more than 6 months without a penalty award. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

On paper this is a low score draw but think there will be a win here. If we lose at least hope it's because we've pressed for the win, rather than sitting in hoping for a break. But we all know what's coming. 
If we believe that the Kelty game was a turning point, you'd not expect CD to change defence that's only conceded one goal in the 3 games since, so expect Sang won't start. Shame as I'd like to see him against Jones rather than Brown. Gallacher and Middleton to make an appearance earlier than Saturday (unless there's another red card) and fingers crossed at least one of the new strikers makes an appearance. 
So basically the same team but with MacPherson in for Hallberg.
                            Clark
   Brown  Cleary Gordon McCart Booth
              MacPherson Butterfield
                           Crawford
                      Hendry    May

1-0 away win. Would say pen (MacPherson) as we're not likely to score from open play but I'm not sure we've had a penalty all season? *

*edit my mistake, 1st game of the season McCann missed one away at county. So that's us 25 league games and more than 6 months without a penalty award. 

To be fair we did go 3 months without going near the opposition penalty box.

We have the 4th best Away record in the League and the 3rd worse Home record. If the game was at Perth then an Away win. We also play our best football Away. We close teams down and pass through the midfield. At Home we sit off the opposition and pump high balls to a midget strike force. It is far better going to Away games than Home games.

That being said this is a poor Fakes team so a Home win.

10 minutes ago, Sh*teAndMuck said:

I’m loving the sudden confidence St Mirren fans have now that they have managed to be above us in the league for part of a season.

Very much looking forward to the end of the season when we pip them to 10th place on the last day.

🙂 

:lol:

I presume you missed the bit where all the other St Johnstone fans are saying how shite you are and are going to lose.

38 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Middle aged men coming out with this Fake Saints patter is the sign of a no righter.

Aye, cos your patter is golden, tam?  ;)