Alloa v Falkirk, Tuesday, 8th February 2022

Only 3 outfield players survived from our last outing at Alloa and it really showed.

Thought we started the game really well for a change with Dowds and Kabia causing problems. However, Alloa cottoned on pretty quickly that we were taking every goal kick short and pressed right on to us, for the next 30 minutes we were all over the place and were barely getting out of our own half.

Alloa had 3 great chances to score in that period, even if it was 3 rank rotten individual errors that allowed them in (2 from Watson and one from ATS). ATS was particularly poor overall and McKay was actually our best defender. On another day we would have been a couple of goals down.

I really don't know why we play it out from the back when we're being pressed. We're not good enough to do it, and we actually have 2 strikers up front now that would benefit from a more direct style of play. 

Thought the away support was excellent. Over 1000 for a freezing Tuesday night after the season we've had is some going.

I was right behind Watson's header and it definitely didn't cross the line, bouncing up and kissing the inside of the post before flicking off the bar with Dowds then nodding it in.

Actually putting Jamie Wilson on the park and as a RWB is possibly the finest piece of trolling we've ever done as a football club. Congrats to all involved on that one. 

We're still a long way from the finished article but the progress we've made under a short space of time under Rennie is really pleasing.

Only 3 outfield players survived from our last outing at Alloa and it really showed.
Thought we started the game really well for a change with Dowds and Kabia causing problems. However, Alloa cottoned on pretty quickly that we were taking every goal kick short and pressed right on to us, for the next 30 minutes we were all over the place and were barely getting out of our own half.
Alloa had 3 great chances to score in that period, even if it was 3 rank rotten individual errors that allowed them in (2 from Watson and one from ATS). ATS was particularly poor overall and McKay was actually our best defender. On another day we would have been a couple of goals down.
I really don't know why we play it out from the back when we're being pressed. We're not good enough to do it, and we actually have 2 strikers up front now that would benefit from a more direct style of play. 
Thought the away support was excellent. Over 1000 for a freezing Tuesday night after the season we've had is some going.
I was right behind Watson's header and it definitely didn't cross the line, bouncing up and kissing the inside of the post before flicking off the bar with Dowds then nodding it in.
Actually putting Jamie Wilson on the park and as a RWB is possibly the finest piece of trolling we've ever done as a football club. Congrats to all involved on that one. 
We're still a long way from the finished article but the progress we've made under a short space of time under Rennie is really pleasing.
Once, on Saturday Paul Watson played a pass out of defence when QP were pressing right onto us that could be described as "breaking the press". Wasnt anything fancy either it was just a straight forward pass into Telfer or Jacobs canny mind who, but we really do need to learn how to break through a press if we plan to invite it onto us. We need to avoid the situation of a sinple press resulting in a panicked backpass or loss of possession so close to our goal. Whether that be a few drills to get through the first line, or just a bit mire awareness to launch it quicker if the opponents are getting too close.

Its not Liverpools front 3 we are playing against in this league, but equally, we need to cut out cloth re what we can expect football wise from a League 1 defence full of jobbers.

7 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I wouldn't claim to be a football expert, but Sam McGivern was raving about him for several days after the Dunfermline match, and I'd say Sammy knows a thing or two about the game. There were a few times when Wilson went charging forward leaving Fifers lying on the turf behind him.  

Jamie Wilson (3) .jpg

35 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I wouldn't claim to be a football expert, but Sam McGivern was raving about him for several days after the Dunfermline match, and I'd say Sammy knows a thing or two about the game. There were a few times when Wilson went charging forward leaving Fifers lying on the turf behind him.  

Jamie Wilson (3) .jpg

Fucking class 

Mind when Alan Hutton got injured and then came back as the greatest right-back in the world? That's what Jamie Wilson is gonna do.

Just caught up with the highlights and that really is an excellent save from Alloa's keeper in the first minute.

On Jaime Wilson, I was sitting right in front of him for his brief cameo last night and in all fairness every touch he had was a good one, beating men and laying it off every time to a Falkirk jersey. It wouldn't be the first time a player reinvented himself from a striker to defender - Yogi Hughes anyone? Bit early to be saying this based on a few minutes but he certainly looked more comfortable in that position than in the brief periods I've seen him as a striker.

On reflection, one of the things I feel optimistic about last night is that we won without Morrison, Dixon and Nesbitt playing, arguably these 3 should be on the team sheet every week. In particular I would find a way of getting Dixon into the centre 3.

I thought Griffiths looked really decent when he came on, really good touches and positioning, was also impressed by his post match interview - in match and interview he certainly doesn't look like someone who is here and doesn't care. He may bring some experience and calmness up front. Fingers crossed. Saying that the headlines were created by a freekick by McGuffie, and excellent finish by Kabia and great poachers finish from Dowds. Noticed also that McGuffie is in the top 10 in the league with assists (4) so maybe another thing Rennie sees in him?

Thought our second half was excellent, however like others have said on another night Alloa could have been well in front due to us gifting them opportunities in the first half. Better teams will punish this and that's maybe why we struggle to beat the teams above us. Last night route 1 worked well with the wind and rain and Alloa using the high press, we need to mix it up a bit, be less predictable. I wouldn't want to keep doing this multiple unnecessary touches from the back against better sides when we don't have it nailed down.

On Jaime Wilson, I was sitting right in front of him for his brief cameo last night and in all fairness every touch he had was a good one, beating men and laying it off every time to a Falkirk jersey. It wouldn't be the first time a player reinvented himself from a striker to defender - Yogi Hughes anyone? Bit early to be saying this based on a few minutes but he certainly looked more comfortable in that position than in the brief periods I've seen him as a striker.
On reflection, one of the things I feel optimistic about last night is that we won without Morrison, Dixon and Nesbitt playing, arguably these 3 should be on the team sheet every week. In particular I would find a way of getting Dixon into the centre 3.
I thought Griffiths looked really decent when he came on, really good touches and positioning, was also impressed by his post match interview - in match and interview he certainly doesn't look like someone who is here and doesn't care. He may bring some experience and calmness up front. Fingers crossed. Saying that the headlines were created by a freekick by McGuffie, and excellent finish by Kabia and great poachers finish from Dowds. Noticed also that McGuffie is in the top 10 in the league with assists (4) so maybe another thing Rennie sees in him?
Thought our second half was excellent, however like others have said on another night Alloa could have been well in front due to us gifting them opportunities in the first half. Better teams will punish this and that's maybe why we struggle to beat the teams above us. Last night route 1 worked well with the wind and rain and Alloa using the high press, we need to mix it up a bit, be less predictable. I wouldn't want to keep doing this multiple unnecessary touches from the back against better sides when we don't have it nailed down.
Beat me to it, with regards finding a players position that can be useful to the team.
JJ played Yogi in almost every position, bar keeper, to find out his most useful was at C/H.

2 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Jamie Wilson (3) .jpg

He's not gonna make it as a striker for sure, it's handy option to have given Williamson's injuries.

We had Luke leahy play in the 10 role and left mid, then in comes Houston and changes his footballing world.

19 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

It's not a surprise to anyone - he was always a wing back at Thistle etc in his younger days, and the Livi boy said he was atrocious at LCB for them.

That'll have been me, yeaaaaaah... I was hoping for your sake he was going in at LB/LWB.

Kabia though eh? :D 

I had a look at the Falkirk lineup, in that match day squad I'm sure there's about 7 ex/current-Livi players in it. That's before mentioning Kenny Miller as well. How's Keags been? I'd saw he started.

That'll have been me, yeaaaaaah... I was hoping for your sake he was going in at LB/LWB.

Kabia though eh? [emoji3] 

I had a look at the Falkirk lineup, in that match day squad I'm sure there's about 7 ex/current-Livi players in it. That's before mentioning Kenny Miller as well. How's Keags been? I'd saw he started.
Hes growing into it for me. Theres a lot of problems in the team that all result in his job being too much for 1 man, but baby steps towards some of those issues being sorted, I think he will get up to speed and start to boss games for us.

13 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
31 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Kabia though eh? emoji3.png 

Hes growing into it for me. Theres a lot of problems in the team that all result in his job being too much for 1 man, but baby steps towards some of those issues being sorted, I think he will get up to speed and start to boss games for us.

Really glad to hear tbh, is he playing as a bit of a destroyer midfielder or is he further up? Or is it a case of like you're saying, stuck trying to sort everything :D Genuinely do think with that squad now you'll absolutely kick on. Cracking chance at winning the playoffs