Rangers v Hibernian

5 minutes ago, DMCs said:

I'm not Bassey's biggest fan but I agree he did well tonight. Showed a lot of recovery pace and strength to deal with situations where Hibs turned our defence with a long ball in behind.

To be honest everyone played relatively well tonight with Barisic and Arfield our worst perfomers imo.

I sit in GF and there was a bit in the second half he looked like he had been caught out then out of nowhere just lifted his pace and was absolutely rapid to recover. He’s not the finished article by any means but a good addition to the squad and certainly one player that can be worked on.

Arfield was a strange one. If he scores that chance early on to make it two then I think he’d have strolled it but he missed that, then put a header over and it was like his confidence went down as he never made it in to these positions again.

Barisic so frustrating. Thought going forward he looked better but defensively so poor.

4 minutes ago, GroundHoppingBear said:

How can Hibs fans keep defending Porteous? He's absolutely garbage.

I think he is a good footballer, albeit susceptible to a clanger, he just came up against a Morelos in fine form last night that gave him a bit of a torrid time. Last 20 mins when we dropped off and allowed him time on the ball you could see what he is good at.

There was also one point in the second half he was awarded a foul (against Aribo, I think) but the ref pulled Stevenson over to have a word with Porteous after it. I don’t know why? Was he telling him off for the theatrics that followed?

Edited by AJF

1 minute ago, AJF said:

There was also one point in the second half he was awarded a foul (against Aribo, I think) but the ref pulled Stevenson over to have a word with Porteous after it. I don’t know why? Was he telling him off for the theatrics that followed?

Evidence that there should be a point where you read your post, hit the backspace button for a bit and dont just press enter.......................

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

Evidence that there should be a point where you read your post, hit the backspace button for a bit and dont just press enter.......................

Haha, what? If you know why Porteous got spoken to by the ref with his captain called over after he was the one that was fouled, then I’m all ears.

7 minutes ago, AJF said:

Haha, what? If you know why Porteous got spoken to by the ref with his captain called over after he was the one that was fouled, then I’m all ears.

Because - like that loony posting above you - you are manufacturing a narrative that only exists in empty heads.

There was no controversy last night involving him, except perhaps the penalty that Walsh ignored.

8 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Because - like that loony posting above you - you are manufacturing a narrative that only exists in empty heads.

There was no controversy last night involving him, except perhaps the penalty that Walsh ignored.

I asked a question as to why he was the player that got a talking to from the ref after he was the one that was fouled. I created no narrative, it was a question because it's not something you ordinarily see.

You'll also note that I disagreed with the "loony posting above me" regarding Porteous' ability. Some narrative, eh.

Edited by AJF

1 hour ago, AJF said:

I think he is a good footballer, albeit susceptible to a clanger, he just came up against a Morelos in fine form last night that gave him a bit of a torrid time. Last 20 mins when we dropped off and allowed him time on the ball you could see what he is good at.

Every match against us he is at fault for something so it wasn't just tonight. Even in the 3-1 game at Hampden our goal came from a terrible error from him. The goal in the 1-0 victory last season at Easter Road he is well out of position, then the sendings off against us. It wasn't just coming up against Morelos last night that showed him up.

Edit, he also gave away the penalty at Easter Road this season.

Great defender.

Edited by GroundHoppingBear

1 hour ago, GroundHoppingBear said:

How can Hibs fans keep defending Porteous? He's absolutely garbage.

Tell me you don’t understand much about football without telling me you don’t understand much about football.

As AJF says he does have the odd moment where he fucks it up but he’s without doubt the best footballer we have.

If he was as shite as some Rangers fans make out then he wouldn’t live in as many Rangers fans’ heads, such as yourself clearly.

11 minutes ago, GroundHoppingBear said:

Every match against us he is at fault for something so it wasn't just tonight. Even in the 3-1 game at Hampden our goal came from a terrible error from him. The goal in the 1-0 victory last season at Easter Road he is well out of position, then the sendings off against us. It wasn't just coming up against Morelos last night that showed him up.

Edit, he also gave away the penalty at Easter Road this season.

Great defender.

Aye, without a doubt he does seem to have an increased number of errors in his game when facing us. Whether that be pure coincidence, pressure or mentality, who knows.

I just mean from watching his overall game though, you can see he is a comfortable footballer i.e. he is good on the ball, he has a good range of passing. It's more the aggression and defensive lapses that seems to be an issue when playing us. 

32 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

Tell me you don’t understand much about football without telling me you don’t understand much about football.

As AJF says he does have the odd moment where he fucks it up but he’s without doubt the best footballer we have.

If he was as shite as some Rangers fans make out then he wouldn’t live in as many Rangers fans’ heads, such as yourself clearly.

It's not the odd moment though, it's nearly every single time he plays against us. You can't seriously be happy with the defending for that second goal can you?

4 minutes ago, AJF said:

Aye, without a doubt he does seem to have an increased number of errors in his game when facing us. Whether that be pure coincidence, pressure or mentality, who knows.

I just mean from watching his overall game though, you can see he is a comfortable footballer i.e. he is good on the ball, he has a good range of passing. It's more the aggression and defensive lapses that seems to be an issue when playing us. 

His passing is so good any time we closed Hibs down they panicked.

image.png.a4234731300837600de6aaa4eb875e63.png

Edit, 10th best passing % in Hibs squad last night.

Edited by GroundHoppingBear

7 minutes ago, GroundHoppingBear said:

His passing is so good any time we closed Hibs down they panicked.

That's why I mentioned in my first post that it was only really until the last 20 minutes or so that you could see what he was good at, once we had dropped off a bit. I thought our high press was a lot better last night for the majority of the match, maybe the best it's been under Gio aside from the Sparta Prague match. We closed down quickly, we cut off passing lanes and forced Hibs to kick it long quite often. I'd say that probably had more to do with it than a lack of ability on Hibs' part.

Edited by AJF

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

That's why I mentioned in my first post that it was only really until the last 20 minutes or so that you could see what he was good at. I thought our high press was a lot better last night for the majority of the match, maybe the best it's been under Gio aside from the Sparta Prague match. We closed down quickly, we cut off passing lanes and forced Hibs to kick it long quite often. I'd say that probably had more to do with it than a lack of ability on Hibs' part.

Our closing down was excellent last night.

1 minute ago, GroundHoppingBear said:

Our closing down was excellent last night.

It was. I also think it suits us perfectly when you have Lundstram in the side. He positions himself well behind the pressing line and mops up a high percentage of loose/long balls played out from the back. His anticipation and reaction times are great.

8 minutes ago, AJF said:

It was. I also think it suits us perfectly when you have Lundstram in the side. He positions himself well behind the pressing line and mops up a high percentage of loose/long balls played out from the back. His anticipation and reaction times are great.

He was one of a number of excellent performers last night. Really good on his day. Hopefully he's more settled now and can perform like he has against Hearts and Hibs going forward.

2 hours ago, AJF said:

I don't even know if you can blame him for whatever this is. Going to though 'cos it's funny.

HGvxk6a.png

2 hours ago, GroundHoppingBear said:

It's not the odd moment though, it's nearly every single time he plays against us. You can't seriously be happy with the defending for that second goal can you?

Your pal above has saved me the trouble with that pic.

Obviously not great defending, but your bizarre fascination with Porteous seems to have blinded you to the fact that Morelllos was not his man to lose at the 2nd goal.

I mean, its not like Rocky and Porteous even look alike...........

2 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Your pal above has saved me the trouble with that pic.

Obviously not great defending, but your bizarre fascination with Porteous seems to have blinded you to the fact that Morelllos was not his man to lose at the 2nd goal.

I mean, its not like Rocky and Porteous even look alike...........

To be fair to Rocky, he'd just picked up a booking - got to think he'd handed Alfie over.