Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Apparently it's only Hungary standing in the way of a SWIFT ban for Russia now.

They will need to put a sanction on black leather attaché cases next...

image.jpeg.ca2192bfe4c9e425b0e4dd2e2b7bfcf1.jpeg

13 minutes ago, 101 said:

When I saw they had "technical issues" my first thought was cyber attack on the British flag carrying airline.

That said I'm sure they have been hacked before and it was revealed they were running on windows XP or something equally shite.

Exactly it's all a weird that only short haul seem to be affected

The airline said the problem, which may also cause delays for its customers using Gatwick and London City airport, was related to a hardware issue and was not because of a cyber-attack.

British Airways cancels all short-haul flights from Heathrow until midday

2 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Exactly it's all a weird that only short haul seem to be affected

And it's just Heathrow short hauls as well, I wonder if they have a work around but are struggling to roll it out?

13 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Apparently it's only Hungary standing in the way of a SWIFT ban for Russia now.

That would be Hungary that has territorial claims on parts of South Western Ukraine. 

Edited by Jute

14 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I actually feel sorry for the Russian people. I definitely get the impression that a lot of them do not back this. They aren’t in any better position to do anything though. 

Not in a “better” position as such but I think much of the West are pinning their hopes on the Russian people in a “strength in numbers” type scenario…

9 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Reports a Russian transport plane carrying hundreds of paratroopers has been shot down south of Kyiv. If true, and multiple sources are saying it is, there will be heavy casualties.

As per reply to Jambomo above, there’s a lot of hope that the Ukranian’s can put up a strong enough resistance that the numbers of dead Russian’s start to mount, in the hope that the Russian people will then revolt when hundreds of their fathers and brothers etc (needlessly) come home in body bags. As vast an army as the Russian’s have, many of them are in Ukraine and despite having many more thousands of soldiers in reserve combined with police, there will always be far more ordinary Russian people. So here’s hoping they all kick off at their own regime when their family and friends are dead “cos Putin”. 

3 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Not in a “better” position as such but I think much of the West are pinning their hopes on the Russian people in a “strength in numbers” type scenario…

As per reply to Jambomo above, there’s a lot of hope that the Ukranian’s can put up a strong enough resistance that the numbers of dead Russian’s start to mount, in the hope that the Russian people will then revolt when hundreds of their fathers and brothers etc (needlessly) come home in body bags. As vast an army as the Russian’s have, many of them are in Ukraine and despite having many more thousands of soldiers in reserve combined with police, there will always be far more ordinary Russian people. So here’s hoping they all kick off at their own regime when their family and friends are dead “cos Putin”. 

I don't think we'll be seeing a Great War scenario here.

I was talking to one of my Russian friends last night. 

She said I should not listen to the news, it is bullshit. Russia is only in Ukraine to protect Russian citizens, All the footage you are seeing is Ukrainians killing other Ukrainians because they are pro Russian. 

I mentioned some of the footage I had seen. 

It was a Ukrainian tank that drove over a car, look at the lettering on the car, it is Ukrainian markings. I don't know the difference. She could be right. 

A Ukrainian pilot crashed his plane in a street and they say it is a Russian plane, it wasn't. Could be true, I wouldn't know the difference. 

Then she said, They are only there to kill the Ukrainian Nazis, the ones who want to kill women and kids, the ones who hate Russian children. 

Shaq GIFs | Tenor

It was at that point I realised she had achieved a level of Facebook mum I had never seen before.

She doesn't live in Russia and hasn't done for maybe 10 years. It is alarming when folk buy in to propaganda to this level. I like to be open minded and pragmatic in these events and assume everyone is up to something. But to hoover up something as moronic as "they want to kill Russian children" as a defence for what is happening is base level fuckwittery. 

Ukrainian forces have repelled an attack by 60 Russian paratroopers near Lviv, Reuters reports.

Lviv’s mayor Andriy Sadovyi said the Russian soldiers were reported to have retreated after clashing with the army in Brody, western Ukraine, about 65 miles from the city.

Spoiler

image.jpeg.0dbc404578b7f438a42f3baff4d98994.jpeg

Edited by jagfox OG

I wonder how far away talks and a ceasefire are. You would have to imagine the Russians would want to assert some advantages prior to....

Its all getting into the realms of young men dying while old men argue now. Have to really just tip the cap to the Ukranians who are fighting back though. Some insane bravery levels on show. If Oleksandr Usyk can go from fighting an invading army in his homeland to slapping Anthony Joshua again in a couple of months time i'll be closing the book on the greatest sporting story ever told.

Reading some stories about Russian army units basically surrendering becasue they didn't think they would be going in there to kill Ukranians. I hope thats true, and that the wind changes enough in Russia itself with the people, and with those affected by sanctions that Putin is pressured into seeking a solution. At some point the military side of it hopefully reaches a point of diminishing returns. 

The yanks are starting to put out noises about Putins health/sanity though... It does make you wonder. My gut feeling counts for f**k all, but I sort of feel like Putin might end up getting removed one way or another by his own side before the West ever get close enough to do anything.