Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

9 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Hungary now supports banning Russia from Swift 

Who will it hurt more Moscow or London ?

The economic sanctions seems a bit pointless as due to inflation half of Europe will be paying inflated prices for Russian natural gas and oil.

Yes. 
However I don't think that Russia's actions are any worse than NATO's since the war on Yugoslavia. 
I'd disagree but that's for another thread.

Another question.

What do you think should be done about the Russian invasion of Ukraine?

And I don't want a what didn't happen in Gaza, Yemen, East Timor, Tibet etc answer.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Why hasn't Russia been chucked out the UN? They have been carrying out attacks on civilians for days now and all the UN have tried to do is motion of condemnation which will achieve f**k all.

The UN is not the League of Nations, which expelled members and achieved f**k all in the process. 

The UN is a body representing all sovereign states and Russia's position on the Security Council and right to veto is as permanent as the other big four. You can't just rip up the rules when it suits. 

4 minutes ago, 101 said:

Why hasn't Russia been chucked out the UN? They have been carrying out attacks on civilians for days now and all the UN have tried to do is motion of condemnation which will achieve f**k all.

They are not trying to condemn though, they are trying to 'deplore'.

And that would truly make all the difference...

Talks (and a ceasefire) need to happen here and sharp. It was mooted of sorts yesterday but the venue (understandably) would seem to be an issue.

I don't profess to fully understand all this, and this might be overly simplistic, but can they not use b*****ding Zoom for these talks? 

1 minute ago, 101 said:

The UN can only do what the Security Council tells them to do, and China would block anything like that. Cutting off all communication with Russia would not be good anyway, at least they're forced to attempt feeble justifications for what they're doing which just about the entire world is ridiculing.

10 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Talks (and a ceasefire) need to happen here and sharp. It was mooted of sorts yesterday but the venue (understandably) would seem to be an issue.

I don't profess to fully understand all this, and this might be overly simplistic, but can they not use b*****ding Zoom for these talks? 

Doesn't stop the rest of us, carry on.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Orban has dropped his opposition to stopping Russia using SWIFT apparently. Putin appears to be losing pals at a rate of knots.

Again quantifying this (although I shouldnt need to) as the musing of a simple mind, but for me this sort of thing is where all the propaganda etc pays dividends. Its all very well belittling folk going to protests of changing their social media avatars, but leaders like to know which way the wind is blowing when they make decisions. Every person in every country making it known to their leaders that they find this invasion abhorrent makes a difference IMO. If the prevailing narrative was Russia were bodying Ukraine and nobody really gave a f**k, would Orban go down this road? 

26 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

What do you think should be done about the Russian invasion of Ukraine?

I don't know. There are lots of competing interests and issues around energy and other vital resources many countries rely upon Russia to provide. In terms of the World Cup in isolation I don't believe that FIFA will allow a precedent to be set that you can get bounced out for breaking international law or an act of aggression as it then raises an endless number of questions about many nations including the UK. The purpose of international sporting competition is to build positive relationships between nations so best to continue with that ethos in mind.

In the most broad sense we have entered a new stage of international relations where the USA is no longer completely dominant and other great powers will strive for more independence and influence even if it means angering the USA. In a world where all nations and races were respected as equals there would be a safe way to deal with this transition but we all know that's not the case and won't happen.

It will be really interesting to see if there are mass demonstrations in Moscow, St Peterburg and across Russia this weekend.  Numbers were building last night and I see reports that 1800 arrested.  Should huge numbers take to the streets the police will be powerless and we may see them move to the other side (I am convinced your average policeman or even soldier in Russia is not fully behind Putin's actions) 

I am increasingly confident that he may well be removed from within......just hope it is sooner rather than later.  There were reports this morning of Russians in Kyiv laying down their arms but not sure if they have been confirmed.

38 minutes ago, 101 said:

They'd block it.

Remember when Stewart Milne blocked abolition of SPL's 11-1 voting veto using 11-1 voting veto.

There are 5 permanent members with vetoes: China inherited Taiwan's seat and Russia inherited USSR's.

Edited by HibeeJibee

10 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

If there is such a thing as a Tory with a shred of decency they need to oust Boris the Russian agent from power and implement proper fucking sanctions. f**k Boris, f**k the bankers in COL. 

What kind of sanctions?

If they touch the assets of Russians held in the UK then British assets in Russia go in response. Our ruling class are defined by their private property and are never going to set an example where a state confiscates private property for political reasons. If the UK does it then so can Bolivia or Congo or South Africa or Turkey.

Edited by Detournement

15 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I don't know. There are lots of competing interests and issues around energy and other vital resources many countries rely upon Russia to provide. In terms of the World Cup in isolation I don't believe that FIFA will allow a precedent to be set that you can get bounced out for breaking international law or an act of aggression as it then raises an endless number of questions about many nations including the UK. The purpose of international sporting competition is to build positive relationships between nations so best to continue with that ethos in mind.

In the most broad sense we have entered a new stage of international relations where the USA is no longer completely dominant and other great powers will strive for more independence and influence even if it means angering the USA. In a world where all nations and races were respected as equals there would be a safe way to deal with this transition but we all know that's not the case and won't happen.

So nothing then