Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

1 hour ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

You don't ever concede anything to a playground bully. The options are (a) to employ superior force so he (she/it?) remembers not to repeat  (b) to go to the heidmaster  (c) to go to the polis  ( D) to expel him. Concession will not stop bullies but simply serves to encourage similar behaviour.

Which do we do in this scenario?

4 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

This is why its stupid letting people go and fight wars where they are more of a hindrance than a help. These are basics but you have these people over there sending all their pictures about how they are ‘there to help’ but essentially only helping the Russians because they are either naive, ill experienced and many seeking attention. 

I met an ex British squaddie with one eye and all poppy tattoos who said he left Ukraine after joining up because they weren't showing him any respect and wanted him to pay for his gun and ammo. 

20 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Capturing the air bases make sense. Attempting to take 5 or 6 large cities simultaneously while outnumbered 3 or 4 to 1 doesn't. 

No, using airborne forces to capture an airport only make sense if the intention is to to link them up rapidly with heavy ground forces... airborne forces have amazing strategic mobility (I.e. the ability to be moved rapidly into theatre and landed in a given location) but basically zero tactical mobility (lack of vehicles) and any heavy weaponry.

Therefore they can be used as shock troops or as a coup de main to capture significant objectives deep inside the enemy controlled territory, but require relief quickly or they will be subjected to defeat in detail by the defender's fire power which will quickly over match them.

Hence, unless they deliberately sent their paratroops into a death trap for shits and giggles, it is logical that the Russian intention was for their ground forces advancing out of Belarus to have covered the ground between them and the airbase in 12 to 24 hours.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Which do we do in this scenario?

For us as individuals not too many of these apply. 

To stretch the bully analogy a little further, you don't play with the bully, or invite the bully to parties. You don't go to his parties, you don't go to his friends parties or invite his friends to yours. You don't go on holiday to his gaff, you don't buy from his or his dad's shop. You complain about him to his friends and tell them that you'll judge them by the company they keep. You help the bully's victims as best you can without placing yourself or your family and friends in danger.

And if you and your pals can arrange a friendly football match likely to be attended by tens of thousands of folk and receive massive international media coverage, you all chant that the bullying c#nt is in fact a bullying c#nt. 

Apart from contributing to the various appeals for victims that might have to do until something better turns up. 

36 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Ok how do we get price controls on our energy bills?

Are you seriously saying that if people generally don't have control over one cherry-picked example then they have control over nothing?

12 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Are you seriously saying that if people generally don't have control over one cherry-picked example then they have control over nothing?

The problem is that if you are:

a) a conspiracy theorist, or
b) a deliberate contrarian

you seek out like minded thinkers to validate your position.  In media terms, over the past 10 - 15 years, that means either Russian media or Russian influenced media.  Now that is coming crashing down, they find themselves having to take more and more extreme positions to maintain some sort of cognitive coherence.  

It’s not going to be “heads gone”, it’ll be “heads explode” if this continues much longer.   

57 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

I met an ex British squaddie with one eye and all poppy tattoos who said he left Ukraine after joining up because they weren't showing him any respect and wanted him to pay for his gun and ammo. 

Ive got plenty time for folks going and doing their bit with the humanitarian stuff, helping refugees, actually think Scotland should have a humanitarian response team within our emergency services/civil service to help at home and around the world. But for people who cant walk the length of themselves or who’s military experience amounted to being a mail man during peace time and going to a conflict zone is absolutely beyond stupid.. 

Possibly in places but having spent quite a bit of time in Russia over the years I always find his content interesting because I didn't have the Russian language skills to be able to do what he does. Same basic experience of Russians being friendly for the most part though which is what makes the current situation deeply depressing and at least for me difficult to believe it would happen before it finally kicked off.

21 minutes ago, Detournement said:

What do you think the public have control over?

I'm entirely sure you'll just shift your definitions of 'control' or even 'public' to keep banging this drum but right off the top of my head, whether or not to comply with covid restrictions. Going back a bit, whether or not to leave the EU. No doubt you'll come back with something about Rupert Murdoch or lizard men or something though.

22 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I'm entirely sure you'll just shift your definitions of 'control' or even 'public' to keep banging this drum but right off the top of my head, whether or not to comply with covid restrictions. Going back a bit, whether or not to leave the EU. No doubt you'll come back with something about Rupert Murdoch or lizard men or something though.

https://www.businessinsider.com/major-study-finds-that-the-us-is-an-oligarchy-2014-4

8 years ago this Princeton study came out stating the obvious that the US is an oligarchy and that people on average incomes have no political power. The UK in the 21st century is no different. 

10 minutes ago, Detournement said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/major-study-finds-that-the-us-is-an-oligarchy-2014-4

8 years ago this Princeton study came out stating the obvious that the US is an oligarchy and that people on average incomes have no political power. The UK in the 21st century is no different. 

I'm not disagreeing with anything in that report. But absolute lack of agency is a different thing from huge imbalances in political power.

The fact that you [mention=37891]WhiteRoseKillie[/mention] believe that ordinary Ukranians have more of a say than Oligarchs and the USA government is a sign of complete idiocy and delusion.
Forgetting all the evidence of US influence and the role of Kolomoisky how do you explain the Ukranian public having the agency to choose to fight a war when in the UK the public has no control over anything?
"Fact"? You have attributed a statement to me that I never made. Wee hint: don't lie so blatantly if you want to be taken seriously.