Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

14 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Sure, I don’t object because it’s state sponsored terrorism.

That’s fair. At least you’re consistent when it comes to that. I don’t think athletes should be banned because of their country of birth alone, so as much as I think what Israel is doing is bad I don’t think the athletes should be banned. 

Just now, MazzyStar said:

That’s fair. At least you’re consistent when it comes to that. I don’t think athletes should be banned because of their country of birth alone, so as much as I think what Israel is doing is bad I don’t think the athletes should be banned. 

The problem of sportswashing will potentially be resolved if we enforced it without exception…but would it kill international sports? Honestly, the Olympics are just Nationalistic Wanking and World Records are inevitably corrupted by fraud and cheating, so why keep up the pretense. The World Cup and such is relatively honest in the results area, as there’s not a lot to be gained via drugs, etc. The actual venue for the World Cup is another matter…and FIFA makes North Korea look honest. There isn’t a solution within the current framework, but it should be an all or none situation for enforcement…and not doing anything and allowing athletes from a blatantly violent and oppressive regime isn’t a good look either.

Reports in the FT that Ukraine might be willilng to discuss the future of Crimea if they reach the border of the peninsula.  

Andriy Sybiha, deputy head of Zelensky's office, said

If we will succeed in achieving our strategic goals on the battlefield and when we will be on the administrative border with Crimea, we are ready to open [a] diplomatic page to discuss this issue.

It doesn’t mean that we exclude the way of liberation [of Crimea] by our army.

Lots of factors at play with this - if a Ukrainian counter offensive managed to get to the border of Crimea, then the battlefield situation would be radically different to now, both for Russia and Ukraine.  That scenario wold require a massive defeat of Russian forces but also significant costs to Ukraine.  It's pretty doubtful that Ukraine could push Russian forces out of the South of Ukraine and then attack the Russian forces in Crimea, where they are heavily entrenched.  At the same time, if Ukraine did defeat Russian forces and get to this position, would Russia be in a position to defend Crimea?  Would Putin be able to remain in power?  So many unknowable things that it probably makes the specifics kind of meaningless but interesting that someone from the Ukrainian side mentions negotiations or diplomacy.

8 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Reports in the FT that Ukraine might be willilng to discuss the future of Crimea if they reach the border of the peninsula.  

Andriy Sybiha, deputy head of Zelensky's office, said

Lots of factors at play with this - if a Ukrainian counter offensive managed to get to the border of Crimea, then the battlefield situation would be radically different to now, both for Russia and Ukraine.  That scenario wold require a massive defeat of Russian forces but also significant costs to Ukraine.  It's pretty doubtful that Ukraine could push Russian forces out of the South of Ukraine and then attack the Russian forces in Crimea, where they are heavily entrenched.  At the same time, if Ukraine did defeat Russian forces and get to this position, would Russia be in a position to defend Crimea?  Would Putin be able to remain in power?  So many unknowable things that it probably makes the specifics kind of meaningless but interesting that someone from the Ukrainian side mentions negotiations or diplomacy.

I'd hardly believe anything right now, with the clouds of misinformation everywhere.

23 hours ago, ICTChris said:

...It's pretty doubtful that Ukraine could push Russian forces out of the South of Ukraine and then attack the Russian forces in Crimea, where they are heavily entrenched...

If the Ukrainians can secure the Sea of Azov coastline from south of Melitopol over to Berdiansk they will be in range of the Kerch bridge with the 150 km range GLSDB missiles that the US are sending later this year. If they are able to also swing around to take all of the left bank of the Dniepr river at that point, Crimea loses its main water supply. That sets up another Kherson type scenario of having way too many troops and a large civilian population stranded in an area that can't be resupplied properly only on a much larger scale this time. Future negotiations would be taking place against that backdrop.

FoCG9b_WAAASyf8?format=png&name=small

Fr7ErGAWcAs3Kks?format=jpg&name=small

The Governer strolling past a poster reading "Everything Will Be Fine" while visiting a regiment who have been decimated in the war is pretty jarring.

Edited by ICTChris

There has been a major leak of classified US documents on the war. Documents seem to have initially been posted to, of all places, a Minecraft discussion Discord server. Insane. The documents have been confirmed as genuine.

Russian sources have posted doctored versions with claims the Ukraine had lost far more KIA than the originals suggest - they changed 17.5k to 71.5k. The usual idiots are regurgitating this. The leak also seems to have information about the composition of Ukrainian forces, details of Western weapon deliveries alongside maps and detailed weather forecasts in relation to the counter offensive.

All of this on a Minecraft Discord server. What the actual f**k.

9 hours ago, ICTChris said:

The Governer strolling past a poster reading "Everything Will Be Fine" while visiting a regiment who have been decimated in the war is pretty jarring.

I'm sure everything will be fine for the governor

Are these paras not the hard guys that were great at battering f**k out of domestic civilian protesters but not so great at battering people who hit back?not worth a tear

18 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

There has been a major leak of classified US documents on the war. Documents seem to have initially been posted to, of all places, a Minecraft discussion Discord server. Insane. The documents have been confirmed as genuine.

Russian sources have posted doctored versions with claims the Ukraine had lost far more KIA than the originals suggest - they changed 17.5k to 71.5k. The usual idiots are regurgitating this. The leak also seems to have information about the composition of Ukrainian forces, details of Western weapon deliveries alongside maps and detailed weather forecasts in relation to the counter offensive.

All of this on a Minecraft Discord server. What the actual f**k.

Its a trap

12 hours ago, highlandcowden said:

I'm sure everything will be fine for the governor

Are these paras not the hard guys that were great at battering f**k out of domestic civilian protesters but not so great at battering people who hit back?not worth a tear

Thought you were referring to events in Derry in 1972 for a minute there

On 03/04/2023 at 20:39, itzdrk said:

I don't disagree with this at all but Russia are not the only country doing this.  

That's not an excuse though.  The clown indulging in whataboutery is also the same one who pulls up people for whataboutery on the politics threads.

He seems to forget that.

3 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Thought you were referring to events in Derry in 1972 for a minute there

The Argentinians probably have a different perspective from you on how good the Paras are at battering people who can hit back. Hence their surrender of Goose Green. I write that as someone who viewed the whole Falklands escapade as a waste of time more about rescuing Maggie T's career than anything else.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

14 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

That's not an excuse though.  The clown indulging in whataboutery is also the same one who pulls up people for whataboutery on the politics threads.

He seems to forget that.

Do you not know what whataboutery means you clown?

Edited by MazzyStar

54 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The Argentinians probably have a different perspective from you on how good the Paras are at battering people who can hit back. Hence their surrender of Goose Green. I write that as someone who viewed the whole Falklands escapade as a waste of time more about rescuing Maggie T's career than anything else.

Doesn't excuse what happened in Derry.