Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

6 hours ago, ICTChris said:

One of the Russian military bloggers who has been prominent on Telegram during the war was killed earlier in St Petersburg.

if you read through the thread some caught the moment Tatarsky was handed the bomb - explosives packed into a ceramic figurine.

I wonder if he opened it up and there was a slightly smaller figurine and he opened that one and there was another slighly smaller figurine...

2 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

I wonder if he opened it up and there was a slightly smaller figurine and he opened that one and there was another slighly smaller figurine...

Judging by the size of the explosion, it couldn’t be much smaller.

14 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The thing about settled borders is pretty important across the planet.

So why is a country ignoring the settled borders of a sovereign state in another part of the world okay, and does not incur the exact same treatment? 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

So why is a country ignoring the settled borders of a sovereign state in another part of the world okay, and does not incur the exact same treatment? 

Whataboutism again, eh? Checked the thread title…don’t see “Justifying Russian Wars of Aggression Because…”

2 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Whataboutism again, eh? Checked the thread title…don’t see “Justifying Russian Wars of Aggression Because…”

Hardly surprising that you're too thick to understand how comparisons between state actions are relevant to an International Relations issue

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Hardly surprising that you're too thick to understand how comparisons between state actions are relevant to an International Relations issue

A red dot and a screed because I had the temerity to point out the topic and your deviation from it to try to rationalize Russian behavior. Are you related to Kim Philby, or simply love Mother Russia for other reasons?

Rheinmetall, the major German weapons manufacturer, is preparing to open up a repair and maintenance plant in Romania specifically to repair and upgrade weapons provided to Ukraine.  The facility, to be opened in the border city of Satu Mare, will service tanks, infantry vehicles, armoured vehicles and trucks.  This will be very important as the expected Ukrainian counter-offensive will rely heavily on this equipment.

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

A red dot and a screed because I had the temerity to point out the topic and your deviation from it to try to rationalize Russian behavior. Are you related to Kim Philby, or simply love Mother Russia for other reasons?

What is the deviation? The claim surrounding the thread topic is that sportspeople should be excluded for the illegal invasion of sovereign states - I've asked @welshbairn to explain why a neighbouring state is an unacceptable target (so sanctions on sports people) but not an equally sovereign state that doesn't share a border with you. As yet, there has been no coherent answer. 

An imbecile like you doesn't actually get to gatekeep discussion - sit down. 

9 minutes ago, virginton said:

What is the deviation? The claim surrounding the thread topic is that sportspeople should be excluded for the illegal invasion of sovereign states - I've asked @welshbairn to explain why a neighbouring state is an unacceptable target (so sanctions on sports people) but not an equally sovereign state that doesn't share a border with you. As yet, there has been no coherent answer. 

Your only contribution to discussions is red dots and insults.

@welshbairn responded with an answer in the next post, you just seem incapable of understanding it.

I’m not gatekeeping, I’m simply pointing out your sojourns into the wilds, like always.

23 minutes ago, virginton said:

I didn't bother answering because the answer is so obvious and you know it already, and no way am I getting involved in a debate involving Texas boy. I don't give a f**k about Tennis or the Olympics, but if Russia sends their soldiers into Libya, Syria, Chad etc., and the US attack Iraq, Afghanistan et al, it's not a venture of conquest, to expand their territories, it's a move to interfere, not a landgrab.. As soon as you invade another country and claim parts of it as your own, despite signing numerous agreements recognising the borders, as Russia did with Ukraine, Georgia and Moldova, you're setting an international precedent of what it acceptable globally. Respecting borders is about the only thing holding peace together in much of the world.

Edited by welshbairn

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

I didn't bother answering because the answer is so obvious and you know it already, and no way am I getting involved in a debate involving Texas boy. I don't give a f**k about Tennis or the Olympics, but if Russia sends their soldiers into Libya, Syria, Chad etc., and the US attack Iraq, Afghanistan et al, it's not a venture of conquest, to expand their territories, it's a move to interfere, not to expand their territories. As soon as you invade another country and claim parts of it as your own, despite signing numerous agreements recognising the borders, as Russia did with Ukraine, Georgia and Moldova, you're setting an international precedent of what it acceptable globally. Respecting borders is about the only thing holding peace together in much of the world.

So the 20 year occupation of Afghanistan wasn’t a move to expand territory? Also, I must have missed the part where Russia invaded and occupied Georgia. 

On 01/04/2023 at 03:10, TxRover said:

Reversing the ban while the conditions still exist is nonsensical.

It was a very silly ban in the first place (across all sports) there is never talk of banning Azeri or Israeli athletes from sports for example.