Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

3 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

So the 20 year occupation of Afghanistan wasn’t a move to expand territory? Also, I must have missed the part where Russia invaded and occupied Georgia. 

You missed Abkhazia and South Ossetia and the little green men? 

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I didn't bother answering because the answer is so obvious and you know it already, and no way am I getting involved in a debate involving Texas boy. I don't give a f**k about Tennis or the Olympics, but if Russia sends their soldiers into Libya, Syria, Chad etc., and the US attack Iraq, Afghanistan et al, it's not a venture of conquest, to expand their territories, it's a move to interfere, not a landgrab.. As soon as you invade another country and claim parts of it as your own, despite signing numerous agreements recognising the borders, as Russia did with Ukraine, Georgia and Moldova, you're setting an international precedent of what it acceptable globally. Respecting borders is about the only thing holding peace together in much of the world.

I don't disagree with this at all but Russia are not the only country doing this.  

10 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

That was Saakashvili being an absolute idiot after getting trolled by Russia, and after they'd already seized big chunks of Georgia. He's now in prison in Georgia.

1 hour ago, MazzyStar said:

Also, I must have missed the part where Russia invaded and occupied Georgia. 

2008 ya balloon

You were maybe preoccupied with the Olympics at the time.the tennis,maybe?

Or maybe you're just selective with what you notice

58 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

2008 ya balloon

You were maybe preoccupied with the Olympics at the time.the tennis,maybe?

Or maybe you're just selective with what you notice

As you’ll see in the article I posted above even the EU blamed that Saakachvili weirdo for the 2008 war ya balloon.

Edited by MazzyStar

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

It was a very silly ban in the first place (across all sports) there is never talk of banning Azeri or Israeli athletes from sports for example.  

Agreed, but the reversal makes it clear it was stupid.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I didn't bother answering because the answer is so obvious and you know it already, and no way am I getting involved in a debate involving Texas boy.

But you had given an answer, he just blatantly ignored that fact. As for a debate, no problems with any of your statements, as they are all self supporting and intelligent. It’s the wild crap I abhor.

What Russia is doing in eastern Ukraine can be likened to settler-colonialism. That's military conquest for the purpose of acquiring the land, normally to populate it.

What Russia is doing in Central African Republic is military conquest for the purpose of wealth extraction.

A distinction between these two types of imperialism can surely be made. Not an ethical distinction but we can see they involve difference processes.

9 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

What Russia is doing in eastern Ukraine can be likened to settler-colonialism. That's military conquest for the purpose of acquiring the land, normally to populate it.

What Russia is doing in Central African Republic is military conquest for the purpose of wealth extraction.

A distinction between these two types of imperialism can surely be made. Not an ethical distinction but we can see they involve difference processes.

Apart from the buffer zone, they are probably just as interested in the population, as anything else.

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

Apart from the buffer zone, they are probably just as interested in the population, as anything else.

Sure, settler-colonialism isn't all just ethnic cleansing. Another fun part of it is cultural genocide, the attempt to eliminate the culture of the indigenous people and replace it with the colonial culture. Some examples:

Germanisation of Poland during Nazi colonialism. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanisation_in_Poland_(1939–1945)#:~:text=An intense process of Germanisation,the kidnapping of Polish children.

Jewish-Israeli attempts to slowly extinguish Palestinian-Israeli culture, through methods such as targeting the use of the Arabic language. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/19/one-more-racist-law-reactions-as-israel-axes-arabic-as-official-language

Anglo settler abduction of indigenous Australian children. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Generations

Anglo settler abduction of indigenous American children, highlighted in another thread recently by welshbairn. 

On 01/03/2023 at 12:27, welshbairn said:

Saw this tweet thinking it must be a fake, but seemingly not. The signature says Father John.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2018/03/13/native-american-child-adoption-letter/

Russia is doing these things in eastern Ukraine.

14 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I didn't bother answering because the answer is so obvious and you know it already, and no way am I getting involved in a debate involving Texas boy. I don't give a f**k about Tennis or the Olympics, but if Russia sends their soldiers into Libya, Syria, Chad etc., and the US attack Iraq, Afghanistan et al, it's not a venture of conquest, to expand their territories, it's a move to interfere, not a landgrab.. As soon as you invade another country and claim parts of it as your own, despite signing numerous agreements recognising the borders, as Russia did with Ukraine, Georgia and Moldova, you're setting an international precedent of what it acceptable globally. Respecting borders is about the only thing holding peace together in much of the world.

In what way were Iraq's borders respected by having the strongest military power in the world cross them and launch a 'shock and awe' bombing campaign of Baghdad in 2003?

There's no distinction in fact between those breaches of a sovereign state's borders.