Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

9 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Not surprised at all with that James Vasquez c**t, seen his twitter pop up quite a few months ago and a quick scan through was all that was needed to confirm he's a c**t. 

He's posted some right weird stuff over the last year or so. There has been a steady stream of Ukrainian folk calling him out as a fraud for a long time.

A year ago today Bucha was liberated and the massacres carried out by Russian forces there were discovered.  Since then there have been many discoveries of atrocities, with documents and other evidence pointing to a distinct strategy by the occupying forces.  

Most of the posters on here who galaxy-brained the massacre (look at the timing of these Facebook posts!  That body actually moved!) have either sidled away or been banned.  Worth noting that there are people active in Scottish politics who also took this line - none of them actual elected members of anything, just the loser dregs.

Edited by ICTChris

18 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

A year ago today Bucha was liberated and the massacres carried out by Russian forces there were discovered.  Since then there have been many discoveries of atrocities, with documents and other evidence pointing to a distinct strategy by the occupying forces.  

Most of the posters on here who galaxy-brained the massacre (look at the timing of these Facebook posts!  That body actually moved!) have either sidled away or been banned.  Worth noting that there are people active in Scottish politics who also took this line - none of them actual elected members of anything, just the loser dregs.

Remember they took mobile crematoriums and 80,000 body bags with them for what they anticipated would be a 3 day walk to Kiev.

Pretty clear now it was their intention to liquidate tens of thousands of people.

Edited by Newbornbairn

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I'd forgotten about that. Some utter morons on here, man. We've always known throbber was a complete idiot, he almost seems to revel in it. I didn't post on here or even read the site for 4 or 5 years and when I logged back in one day a couple of years ago, he was still exactly the same.

I've no idea who detournement is as he seems to have appeared while I had gotten bored of the forums, though others on here have said he's the Falkirk poster HB in a new guise, but his weird pro-russia, "cheap gas is more important than human lives", it's all Ukraine/NATO/America's fault, all Ukrainians are nazis shtick is truly distasteful and I suspect shows someone who isn't a very nice chap even offline.

Viking ton is definitely a clever lad, his tired "be very specific"/argue incessantly on any point/childish condescension routine that he's been doing for about 15 years excepted, but some of his comments about how there's no proof of civilians being murdered etc really haven't aged well. And given how the Russian armed forces have behaved in every conflict they've been involved in, it's an odd standpoint to assume they'd never have been guilty of this. Frankly, it'd be a safe bet to assume war crimes before any proof had even come to light. Though there was evidence from the first day anyway...

All that being said, though, the "f**k all Russians" patter isn't for me either. People who make sweeping generalisations are literally worse than Hitler.

4 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Russia getting the chair of the UN Security Council next month is...er...interesting? 

As long as any one of the big five can veto at the Security Council, it’s pretty irrelevant.

The Wimbledon tennis tournament will allow Russian and Belarussian players to compete this year, having banned them last year. My take is that time spent arguing over tennis players at Wimbledon is a waste of the public's focus and because such public focus has a limited bandwidth, priorities should be chosen carefully. Wimbledon, while well-intentioned, made themselves a story with the banning decision and the distraction that goes onto cause isn't worth whatever small effect the banning has.

2 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

The Wimbledon tennis tournament will allow Russian and Belarussian players to compete this year, having banned them last year. My take is that time spent arguing over tennis players at Wimbledon is a waste of the public's focus and because such public focus has a limited bandwidth, priorities should be chosen carefully. Wimbledon, while well-intentioned, made themselves a story with the banning decision and the distraction that goes onto cause isn't worth whatever small effect the banning has.

Reversing the ban while the conditions still exist is nonsensical.

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

Reversing the ban while the conditions still exist is nonsensical.

Indeed. It doesn't make any sense in terms of the principle behind the original decision. Incidentally, last year's Women's Wimbledon champion was...wait for it...a Russian. Elena Rybakina, who had earlier switched to representing Kazakhstan after their tennis federation "bought" her.

My guess on what has happened is that unlike in football where UEFA and FIFA were in accordance over Russian exclusion, Wimbledon acted unilaterally in tennis. None of the other major tournaments excluded Russian and Belarussian players last year and this led to the global tennis body downgrading Wimbledon in terms of ranking points players could win as well as fining the Wimbledon organisers. Probably this downgrade will've also seen Wimbledon's sponsors demanding their payments be reduced. So the loss of revenue and prestige off the back of the ban might've been behind Wimbledon's decision to reverse it.

Edited by FreedomFarter

1 hour ago, MazzyStar said:

Were the Russian tennis players involved in the invasion?  

So your criteria is no action against anyone who isn’t directly involved in the invasion? So all the sanctions against Russia are unjust as they impact people who didn’t participate and it’s unfair to inconvenience them? Pressuring a country to get the populace to demand their leaders change is not acceptable? I’m sure you’d love to boycott the U.S., eh?