Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

29 minutes ago, virginton said:

Most people who don't follow serious stories don't watch Panorama either m8. 

If they wanted a bit more of a scoop then they could have turned the spotlight on the UK elite's aiding and abetting of Russian oligarchs over the past 30 years. Unsurprisingly, the BBC pulls its punches when it comes to criticising establishment voices; while at the same time trying to guilt trip everyone into paying a regressive tax to fund its 'unique public service broadcasting'. 

I don't know if you've noticed, but Abramovich has been quite big news in the last few days. For a public service broadcaster to show a documentary contextualising a story many people won't know the ins and outs of is perfectly reasonable.

Whether the information is new is neither here nor there. It's suddenly very relevant.

No issue with your second paragraph.

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

I don't know if you've noticed, but Abramovich has been quite big news in the last few days. For a public service broadcaster to show a documentary contextualising a story many people won't know the ins and outs of is perfectly reasonable.

Whether the information is new is neither here nor there. It's suddenly very relevant.

No issue with your second paragraph.

Panorama's M.O. as a programme has been to expose new information and/or scandals. Rehashing Russia in the 1990s in a 'what bears really do in the woods' manner is for the One Show or some other crapfest. 

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

Panorama's M.O. as a programme has been to expose new information and/or scandals. Rehashing Russia in the 1990s in a 'what bears really do in the woods' manner is for the One Show or some other crapfest. 

Well, when you're Head of Programming at the BBC, you can fix this.

People use the term "oligarch" as if this is a uniquely Russian thing.
In reality the view was that if Russia became capitalist then like other capitalist countries some people would become obscenely rich but that's okay because that is how capitalism works and there would some sort of trickle down of all that money - except that there wasn't.
Anyone who thinks these oligarchs (I.e. Russian Billionaires) alone are disgustingly rich should also be aware that the three richest men in America have more money than the poorest half of America.

There's more to being an oligarch than being incredibly rich though.

11 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

There never was a Utopia, but the UK I lived in prior to 1979 was a fairer society.

Aye, everyone's electricity went off at the same time.

11 hours ago, Clown Job said:

The Russians couldn't hit a coo on the arse with a surf board.

11 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I quite like Chinese food but wouldn’t want to eat it day after day whilst invading another country…

You might feel like invading another country later.

7 hours ago, Frankie S said:

Ditto. Our daughter has moved out to go to Uni, so we have a spare room. My wife, son and I (and our daughter) were in full agreement that we should apply to join the Homes for Ukraine sponsorship scheme. We’re happy to accommodate an adult plus child / children (it’s a decent-sized room). We went for the 6-9 months option initially, but will almost certainly be happy to extend. I’ve also applied to the UKVI (UK Visas and Immigration) business sponsorship scheme to enable my business to employ people from outside the U.K.

^^^slave trader.

19 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Nowt wrong with a cup-a-soup and a few pickles.

Pretty cool side plates mind you.

If the sanctions bite in Russia, and the standard of living here keeps getting worse, a cup-a-soup and a few pickles could be a good night out for all of us. 🙄

They can't imprison all the protesters. Sadly in rural Russia they believe Putin as opposed to St Peterburg and Moscow itself.

Am full of admiration for the protesters who know fine well the consequences. 

Ukrainian resistance has destroyed Vlads plan.

Let's hope that gets through their thick skulls and someone in Russias hierarchy discovers a bit of humanity 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/mar/15/police-officer-oligarch-oleg-deripaska-belgravia-london

"Didn’t you love the pictures of a column of Metropolitan police officers running towards Oleg Deripaska’s house like it was a five-storey Greggs? Here they come, trotting with intent, a phalanx of shirt-sleeved, riot-shielded protect-and-servers who may or may not be available inside of six weeks next time your house is burgled.

To recap, four protesters yesterday occupied a house in London’s Belgravia that is supposedly owned by the Russian aluminium magnate Deripaska (now on the UK sanctions list). They unfurled some banners inviting Vladimir Putin to f**k himself and so on, before being removed by the largest Met police presence you’ll see outside of a women’s vigil for someone murdered by a Met police officer. Territorial support group, police negotiators, police climbers, riot police...."

21 hours ago, beefybake said:

Fair enough.   The next question is fairly obviously who in the various UK media outlets, inc BBC, stopped programmes like this being broadcast, or printed

well before now.  Scared of all the London lawyers paid by the oligarchs ?

Or ?

Looks like part of the answer

Marina Ovsyannikova is released after getting fined 30,000 rubles ($280) The usual nuggets on twatter calling it a false flag stunt because she didn't get flung in a gulag in Siberia. I think due to the worldwide coverage they couldn't do  much more than to give her a fine.

17 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Marina Ovsyannikova is released after getting fined 30,000 rubles ($280) The usual nuggets on twatter calling it a false flag stunt because she didn't get flung in a gulag in Siberia. I think due to the worldwide coverage they couldn't do  much more than to give her a fine.

Prior to a couple of weeks back, I honestly can't recall the phrases of "false flag" or "play book" ever being used by anyone, but now it's all you're getting on a daily basis.

1 hour ago, Ken Deans said:

They can't imprison all the protesters.

There's probably been conversations about how many they could get away with shooting, but.

31 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

There's no guarantee that is the end of it.  There are two 'offences' in play; the making of the video and the on-screen protest.  As I understand it, the fine does not address both.