Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

Early chat in work is all Russian banks banned from Swift, and all Russian clients banned from trading on European exchanges.

Already seen one work around for the first part of that, and I expect there will be no shortage of solutions to the second part either. Need to come up with better than that…

2 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

Mike Jacskon. Who seemingly just told the Russians to get off his airstrip 

"I won't start World War 3 for you"

Raised some fairly awkward questions about chain of command and the right of commanders of different nationalities to go over their superior to their own governments. The UK government backed up Jackson and got the US to talk Clark down.

Jackson got a promotion in the UK, Clark got prematurely retired.

1 minute ago, KingRocketman II said:

the border is over 1000 miles in length between Russia and Ukraine. If the reporter was 30 miles from the Donbass/Russia border then there would be quite a lot of activity going on there and doubt kids will be going to school as normal. 

Re your part in bold - maybe your news sources are a little limited. We know significantly more than that. 

Sky News - No we didn't know anything more than that when I made the post.

It was the reporters own words, "things are going on as normal, kids are going to school".

In bold - I don't live a cave m8, I also have the internet same as you. 😆

L

2 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Post Ukraine, what else is he after? Rebuilding the USSR and perhaps creating a new Yugoslavia?

Think he'll stop at Ukraine but if he's seriously gone insane a landbridge to Kaliningrad, ie Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.

May as well take this opportunity to advertise my services as a Scottish cave and mine consultant, which would be somewhat useful to posters in the event of nuclear war.

- £200 p/hr consultancy fee

- 15% early bird February discount offer 

- Further 5% discount for P&B members (posters must have registered before Feb '22)

Edited by Hedgecutter

12 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

It's all fucking happening now I see. Will we see any large scale forces being deployed to Ukraine to help them out?

I'm not normally a grief merchant type, but I honestly feel for the Ukrainians getting killed and caught up in this fucking knob Putins shit here. Get this c**t fucking binned.

We all know Putin is in effect a dictator. The Q is - is he that strong that he cannot be taken out from within Russia. I believe he has miscalculated the opinion from within Russia for a war v Ukraine and alienating Russia v ROW.

And once the most extreme sanctions take effect he will be under pressure from all businesses and individuals.  Will he care 🤷‍♂️.  We all know what happened to Hitler, Saddam and Ghaddafi. It never ends well. In the end they are taken out eventually. 

5 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Early chat in work is all Russian banks banned from Swift, and all Russian clients banned from trading on European exchanges.

Already seen one work around for the first part of that, and I expect there will be no shortage of solutions to the second part either. Need to come up with better than that…

Banning Russian banks from Swift has been trailed extensively for a couple of months, assume that has given the potentially affected parties time to plan.  Apparently there are a number of EU countires (Italy and Belgium) who are pushing back against extensive EU sanctions.  Belgium worried about the diamond market and Italy about luxury goods.  

Just now, AlbionSaint said:

Why not go out and fight as a mercenary? I have seen reports of Britons out there - mostly Rambo types who want to experience battle. But firstly, by directly involving ourselves in this conflict we risk escalating it to a nuclear conflict and secondly, I cannot see the UK is threatened by this. 

If the US/UK hadn't lied about NATO expansion, hadn't inspired colour revolutions and had been willing to negotiate with Putin, this wouldn't be happening. This is another fucking mess created as a result of the USA's desire to remain the only superpower and our imbecilic/hawkish foreign policy.

No chance USA would be a lone super power. Not with China hanging about. What will China do in this mess to use to their advantage?

5 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Banning Russian banks from Swift has been trailed extensively for a couple of months, assume that has given the potentially affected parties time to plan.  Apparently there are a number of EU countires (Italy and Belgium) who are pushing back against extensive EU sanctions.  Belgium worried about the diamond market and Italy about luxury goods.  

The stuff I seen this morning was basically the financial services version of the old “Nasa spent hundreds of millions developing a pen that works in space, Russia took some pencils” story.

3 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

No chance USA would be a lone super power. Not with China hanging about. What will China do in this mess to use to their advantage?

China want significant upgrades to the rail system in Russia to enable them to export to Western Europe significantly faster than they can using sea and air freight. They will be working out how they can get the first without fucking up the second.

10 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

Why not go out and fight as a mercenary? I have seen reports of Britons out there - mostly Rambo types who want to experience battle. But firstly, by directly involving ourselves in this conflict we risk escalating it to a nuclear conflict and secondly, I cannot see the UK is threatened by this. 

If the US/UK hadn't lied about NATO expansion, hadn't inspired colour revolutions and had been willing to negotiate with Putin, this wouldn't be happening. This is another fucking mess created as a result of the USA's desire to remain the only superpower and our imbecilic/hawkish foreign policy.

George Galloway found…

No western countries will get directly involved in Ukraine. If he decides to go after any NATO countries that deal is off. 

If Putin thinks by invading Ukraine the West will now negotiate he is even madder than anyone thought. If anything he has played right into the hands of the US by proving what they said all along. He is an unhinged dictator who cannot be trusted. He has his reasons and some of them may be legitimate but he has seriously fucked up here.