Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

17 hours ago, TommyDickFingers said:

I wonder how bouncing over chains trains them to evade HIMARS or Bayraktar...

It's like those videos you always see of Russian Spetznaz doing front flips while throwing hatchets and jiu jitsu flipping people. I'm sure it's great fun to learn, but learning things like marksmanship, tactical patrolling and how to operate modern military hardware would seem a wee bit more useful. 

1 minute ago, Sweet Pete said:

I wonder how bouncing over chains trains them to evade HIMARS or Bayraktar...

It's like those videos you always see of Russian Spetznaz doing front flips while throwing hatchets and jiu jitsu flipping people. I'm sure it's great fun to learn, but learning things like marksmanship, tactical patrolling and how to operate modern military hardware would seem a wee bit more useful. 

Not when it comes down to the hand to hand stuff, cold steel etc. You wouldn't last 5 minutes!

14 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Not when it comes down to the hand to hand stuff, cold steel etc. You wouldn't last 5 minutes!

I wouldn't need to if I'd flattened them with artillery from 8km away. Or just shot them from 600m while they were cartwheeling towards me...

I see that the Defence Secretary has made an urgent flight to the US.

Speculation around as to what that is about.

At a guess, I'd say it's for discussions about how to counter the Russian attacks on the

Ukraine power stations, and associated infrastructure. 

1 hour ago, beefybake said:

At a guess, I'd say it's for discussions about how to counter the Russian attacks on the

The last UK Cabinet Minister who did that flew back to his P45. 😨

Picking up the keys for the Tridents 

You'd think they could discuss that at NATO HQ in Brussels, you have to hope its about some espionage scandal or something rather than Russian nukes.

Someone has to tell Wallace what the U.K. defence strategy should be is.

Edited by Granny Danger

news.sky.com/story/ukraine-war-mysterious-ben-wallace-trip-to-washington-amid-fears-of-russian-escalation-12723942

Ukraine war: Mysterious Ben Wallace trip to Washington amid fears of Russian escalation

The secretive, last-minute nature of the trip and a comment by a second defence minister, James Heappey - who said the conversations Mr Wallace would be having on Tuesday were "beyond belief" - suggested particularly sensitive and serious issues would be discussed.

By Deborah Haynes, Mark Stone and James Matthews, Sky correspondents

Tuesday 18 October 2022 19:56, UK

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace is on a hastily-arranged visit to Washington to talk with his counterpart and White House officials about "shared security concerns" including Ukraine and Russia, a source and an official said.

The secretive, last-minute nature of the trip and a comment by a second defence minister, James Heappey - who said the conversations that Mr Wallace would be having on Tuesday were "beyond belief" - suggested particularly sensitive and serious issues would be discussed.

It comes as the UK, the US and other NATO allies watch Russia's war in Ukraine closely, amid concerns that President Vladimir Putin may escalate his attacks even further, possibly even resorting to a nuclear strike as his forces lose ground to western-armed Ukrainian troops.

News blackout in southern Ukraine means 'something big is going on' - war latest

The UK defence source declined to offer any specific detail on the content of Mr Wallace's trip other than to say: "The defence secretary is in Washington DC to discuss shared security concerns, including Ukraine.

"He will be visiting his counterpart at the Pentagon and senior figures at the White House."

Brigadier General Patrick Ryder, the US Pentagon press secretary, offered a similar description: "He's here today to discuss the Ukraine situation and the US and UK joint efforts to support Ukraine, as well as to, again, reaffirm the transatlantic ties and co-operation that our two countries share when it comes to issues like Russia."

Reports that the Russians want to evacuate civilians from the west bank of the Dnipro river because the Ukrainians plan to break the dam at Novaya Kakhovka which serves the NPP at Energodar, south of Nikopol. This would flood parts further downstream.

Given that the NPP needs water to cool the Plant it doesn't seem likely that Ukraine would instigate such damage but the Russians might, and then pitch the blame on Ukraine. This would be a good story to tell the folks home in Russia. 

The Russians have been reported to have kidnapped two further employees at the NPP. Maybe trying to get them to give up operational details?