Aberdeen's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Aberdeen's next permanent manager?   

268 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Your last manager got the bullet for being 3rd for years in a row.

No he didn’t 

He got the bullet for finishing 4th behind Kilmarnock and Motherwell in successive seasons and overseeing an alarming drop in form where we went ten games without scoring a fucking goal and being emptied out of cup competitions by dross or gutless capitulation 

Why pundits / opposition fans insist McInnes never had us out the top 3 is beyond me 

2 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

No he didn’t 

He got the bullet for finishing 4th behind Kilmarnock and Motherwell in successive seasons and overseeing an alarming drop in form where we went ten games without scoring a fucking goal and being emptied out of cup competitions by dross or gutless capitulation 

Why pundits / opposition fans insist McInnes never had us out the top 3 is beyond me 

Another Dons-saved-from-relegation-because-of-Falkirk's-stadium type statement

Few things would give me as much pleasure in Scottish Football, as Ferguson leaving his post in the hope of replacing a manager who goes to Aberdeen, and being left sitting next to his union flag telephone with a face like an ugly girl on prom night.

11 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

St Mirren fans seem desperate to keep Goodwin yet get mortally offended when Aberdeen fans say they’d rather we looked at better options.

Also, we can win cups and progress in Europe as well as finishing 3rd. The idea of some diddy like Goodwin having this in his locker is amusing.

It isn't offense... it's fear.  Our managerial churn before Goodwin was horrendous.  For St Mirren fans we want a team that's comfortably between fifth and eighth every season with the odd season where we might nick fourth.  Goodwin looks capable of giving us that so we want to keep him.

For Aberdeen fans he seems the best of a very bad bunch and to be honest could easily become another McInnes.  So, understandably,  you are a bit wary.  You've been forced to bin an under performing manager at a time when there isn't an obvious exciting candidate at a smaller rival club that you could pinch.

I think you should go for Knutson or someone leftfield but I think you'll end up with Goodwin and we'll end up with some useless b*stard that'll have us in a relegation fight next season.

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:
3 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:
Which is what, exactly? 
Bearing in mind it's already been said that this is the highest wage bill ever at St Mirren, they're a "top four" club and Goodwin is the highest paid manager in your clubs history. 

Your last manager got the bullet for being 3rd for years in a row. There is no potential to make Aberdeen any better than that. Jim may fail with St Mirren but he has potential to overachieve. Anything less than 3rd at aberdeen is failure and they can't go any higher. He can overachieve at St Mirren and increase his standing. Aberdeen is a dead end job.

He finished 3rd twice. Once behind Stuart McCall's Motherwell. 

McInnes didn't get sacked tbe first two times he finished fourth but the direction of travel was clear. 

2 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Goodwin will be our next manager according to one or two ITK types around the city. 

ITK = I think Knutsen

I won't waste much money or energy going to watch Jim Goodwin's Aberdeen...it doesn't even sound right

There's only one man in the know, and that's our glorious leader.

I think any rumour surrounding Goodwin is nonsense.

He might be on a shortlist but there's no way he's an outstanding candidate so it won't be decided in his favour at this point.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

5 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Jack Ross & Jim Goodwin will be Aberdeen & St Mirren managers…. In which order, I’m not sure. 

Why is Goodwin even so hotly tipped? What exactly has he done to impress?

All this chatter about either Ross or Goodwin makes me think the interest is elsewhere and they're leading people on a wild goose chase...or rather allowing people to go on their own wild goose chase.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

4 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Why is Goodwin even so hotly tipped? What exactly has he done to impress?

All this chatter about either Ross or Goodwin makes me think the interest is elsewhere and they're leading people on a wild goose chase...or rather allowing people to go on their own wild goose chase.

Goodwin done more than glass.

20 minutes ago, elvis said:

Goodwin done more than glass.

So has James McPake.

If we're using Stephen Glass as the barometer of manager, then we can pretty much pick absolutely anyone currently in a full time managerial position in Scotland.

Keep seeing the Knutsen name being banded about - not sure how serious this is but it would be a great coup for Aberdeen. If they get him though they might want to get the ex-military boy who helped Bodo win the league as well. Basically inspired the players that they could win the league against the odds, to have a belief that they were winners. I remember reading about that and thinking that’s exactly what Scottish clubs like Aberdeen need over here. A mentor to help players get over their fear of the Old Firm and make them believe they can beat anyone.

The reason Goodwin is so heavily touted is because in 5 years or so in management with Alloa and then St Mirren he's progressively improved in each one. His signings are solid, he does well with a budget, there haven't been any particularly humiliating cup exits and we are pretty much competitive in most of our games.

It's not the most exciting CV, I agree, but there is enough there to show that he probably wouldn't be a total disaster at Aberdeen.