Should managers, like players, only be allowed to move during the transfer window?

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I didn't say you were seething.

Yet.

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Laying the groundwork for it. 

:lol:

Deary me, gents, you really should get better patter.

* edit: apologies if I've misgendered you there.

Edited by Ric

6 minutes ago, Ric said:

Or.. conversely, it will actually lead to more long term appointments because of the limitations on hiring and firing.

But your proposal does not limit the firing of managers... only the hiring?

1 minute ago, Ric said:

Or.. conversely, it will actually lead to more long term appointments because of the limitations on hiring and firing.

Ah yes, because the January transfer window has resulted in teams thinking long term and has absolutely not caused most teams to sign utter drivel on the final day in a mad panic.

A midseason window for manager sackings would just lead to mass sackings during the window because chairmen will panic knowing it is their only opportunity to seem proactive.

17 minutes ago, Ric said:
Which is regulated by the contract, a contract the manager would have signed before committing to the job.

Yes, and in almost every case in professional football those contracts do not just permit people to walk away for free.

Edited by craigkillie

16 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Sorry, I just find the topic a bit boring. 

..and yet here you are, contributing. I take that as a compliment that I managed to enthuse you enough to get involved.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Yes, and in almost every case in professional football those contracts dp not just permit people to walk away for free.

So we are in agreement, a manager agrees to a clause in their contract that limits their opportunities.

12 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Ah yes, because the January transfer window has resulted in teams thinking long term and has absolutely not caused most teams to sign utter drivel on the final day in a mad panic.

It's not that, in general, you are wrong, but it is another argument against the window rather than specifically managers being part of the window.

Edited by Ric

16 minutes ago, AJF said:

But your proposal does not limit the firing of managers... only the hiring?

In alignment with players, it's not the employment that is restricted, it's the registration. The club can, in fact, hire and fire as they see fit, so long as it's within employment and/or contract law.

Edited by Ric

8 minutes ago, Ric said:

In alignment with players, it's not the employment that is restricted, it's the registration. The club can, in fact, hire and fire as they see fit, so long as it's within employment and/or contract law.

But in terms of prohibiting managers from moving clubs outside of transfer windows, I still haven't seen any compelling reason other than "that's what happens with players so..."?

What is the actual benefit of limiting managers from moving?

1 minute ago, AJF said:

But in terms of prohibiting managers from moving clubs outside of transfer windows, I still haven't seen any compelling reason other than "that's what happens with players so..."?

I mean... that's literally all the question is: "should managers be subject to the same windows as players"

1 minute ago, Ric said:

I mean... that's literally all the question is: "should managers be subject to the same windows as players"

Well, I (and many others) answered no and gave reasons for doing so and you seemed to disagree. So, you obviously feel there is some benefit from prohibiting it?

Just now, AJF said:

Well, I (and many others) answered no and gave reasons for doing so and you seemed to disagree. So, you obviously feel there is some benefit from prohibiting it?

That's creating a mutual exclusion where there isn't one. Just because I see flaws in the reasons put forward doesn't automatically suggest I hold an alternative position.

Me? I don't mind either way, it seems a relevant question to ask considering the Glass/McPake (and possibly Goodwin) position.

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

That's creating a mutual exclusion where there isn't one. Just because I see flaws in the reasons put forward doesn't automatically suggest I hold an alternative position.

Me? I don't mind either way, it seems a relevant question to ask considering the Glass/McPake (and possibly Goodwin) position.

So you see flaws in every single reason that's been put forward in favour of not prohibiting managers moving but you don't think there is a benefit of doing so?

Also, how would Glass/McPake have any bearing on this scenario? They were sacked, they've not moved to a different team.

Edited by AJF