St Mirren next permanent manager version 2022

2 hours ago, Ric said:

When was the last time we appointed an exciting choice?

I mentioned this previously, we've never gone for anyone seriously left-field or someone who was "dropping down" to our level.

Robinson may not be "exciting" in that sense, but the very fact most will go, "You know? Not that bad a choice", is good enough for me.

When was the last time anyone signed an exciting choice?

Robinson lost his mojo when he was up for shite when out in the capital when at Motherwell.  He will come back up refreshed and do a good job brining up a few jobbers to mix with your youngsters (that we we naturally sign later).

When Dundee have just appointed Mark McGhee and Stuart McCall is looking for a job Robinsons a godsend. 

1 minute ago, Hoose Rice said:

When was the last time anyone signed an exciting choice?

Robinson lost his mojo when he was up for shite when out in the capital when at Motherwell.  He will come back up refreshed and do a good job brining up a few jobbers to mix with your youngsters (that we we naturally sign later).

When Dundee have just appointed Mark McGhee and Stuart McCall is looking for a job Robinsons a godsend. 

That's what you're talking...pish.

Always had a lot of time for Robinson who turned around our fortunes and got us to two cup finals, anyone else but a rampant Celtic in both of them and we would have had silverware after outplaying both Rangers and Aberdeen in the semi’s. Yes he ran out of ideas and got tired of constantly having to rebuild but I wish him nothing but good luck and I hope he gets a good reception when he returns to Fir Park, I’m sure he will.

10 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

He's terrible.

Any success at Motherwell was down to two exceptional players Louis Moult and David Turnbull and he didn't even realise Turnball was exceptional until about a year after anyone else that saw him. His eye for a player is hopeless and he plays his favourites every week regardless. 

The period between Moult leaving and Turnbull FINALLY getting selected was probably the most dispiriting, bleak, utterly wretched time in 40 years as a Motherwell supporter.

When he's not signing his own son, he gets sub standard hoof the ball players from the English non league boondocks.  Tactics straight out of 1985 English 3 Division  play book.  In game management is lamentable. 

Robinson should be paying a gratuity cheque to Stevie Craigan because without his U20s team producing so much talent (Campbell, Turnbull, Scott, Hastie etc) he'd have been sacked far earlier than he was and without top quality players in his side his own talents are quickly found out.

His 3rd place finish would never have happened without the season being curtailed due to Covid (had won 2 in 10 and basically gone off a cliff from he never recovered). And while we did have good performances in the League Cup Final run, the Scottish Cup Final run was a complete fluke.  Our top scorer on the run was O.G. and Aberdeen's semi final performance was the most farcical I've ever seen.  

I believe he's won 6 out of his last 29 in the SPFL and the state of the team he left behind him at Fir Park was shocking. He left a team almost entirely without even basic technical ability (passing? ha!) and team morale was at the bottom of a very deep pit.

Maybe there will be the new manager bounce and St Mirren's tails are probably up after a good run.  But long term, once his influence really starts to take hold, he's a disaster.

You have been warned.

excellent.gif.ad7418fae54a142d4ca1b071b48c2034.gif

11 hours ago, Yorky said:

Always had a lot of time for Robinson who turned around our fortunes and got us to two cup finals, anyone else but a rampant Celtic in both of them and we would have had silverware after outplaying both Rangers and Aberdeen in the semi’s. Yes he ran out of ideas and got tired of constantly having to rebuild but I wish him nothing but good luck and I hope he gets a good reception when he returns to Fir Park, I’m sure he will.

The good thing is, we seem to be in a much more comfortable position nowadays where we can offer players 2 or in some cases 3 year deals.

The St. Mirren of old were always about risk aversion first. Offer one year deals so if we go down we can empty everyone. Whilst that was financially prudent, it meant managers did have to rebuild constantly save for a few mainstays.

Robinson will hopefully be able to build a settled team that isn't a revolving door and get 3 or so years from the core of a settled squad. That was one of Goodwin's strongest points IMO, he'd accept that players were going to move on from a club like ours but he was also big on maintaining a core. 7-8 new players per summer is the norm for clubs like ours and always will be but hopefully the days of 14-15 new faces are long gone and the focus is on quality and stability.

20 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

That was one of Goodwin's strongest points IMO, he'd accept that players were going to move on from a club like ours

Not just players. Managers too, eh Jim?

Not having a dig at Jim, just stating a fact. At least our place in the Scottish fitba’ food chain is stable and looking like an improving picture… until Jim tries to sign all our good players, coaches, backroom staff, kit men, tea ladies, and the guys at the main entrance who meet & greet. No-one will be immune to our ex-manager’s smooth Irish lilt sales pitch for joining Aberdeen… ‘Double your wages, bigger club, and I can still get you good discounts on boxes of Bounty Bars’.

We’re doomed. 😜