Food boxes

scottsdad

Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

Mine only came the other day. It might look better when cooked and presented, but I'm not optimistic.

I do realise portion control is my downfall!

I didn’t want to have a go straight off the bat but yes based on some of your previous posts around food I imagine you will be furious at the portion sizes. The chips don’t come by the barrowload.

3 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

Too good to go is a totally different thing to what you are talking about but can be quite good.

So basically you get all the stuff that otherwise would’ve been thrown out before the place closes for today. I used to use the China Buffet King one at work sometimes. You pay £5 and you have to take your own Tupperware tub and basically you just fill it up with whatever you want.

They do them for Greggs, Starbucks etc

Here are some screenshots 

DCCA19BB-7274-4481-8D09-A90D263FE529.png

B0F26E14-562C-40D3-954B-EC636CF8B192.png

Far from a snob but traipsing in somewhere with your wee Tupperware tub ready to fill gives me the fear. 

I used Gousto for a while last year. Some really good meals with variety and different options. Being veggie probably helps that way, don’t know if the meat options are as varied and ‘out there.’

Haven’t used it since before Christmas but having the cards is handy. We probably have about 40 meal cards now and it’s useful to pick a couple of the recipes before doing the weekly shop.

We were between £35-40 for them but for some reason we didn’t seem to take much off our shopping bill despite having our meals sorted for the week.

6 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

Too good to go is a totally different thing to what you are talking about but can be quite good.

So basically you get all the stuff that otherwise would’ve been thrown out before the place closes for today. I used to use the China Buffet King one at work sometimes. You pay £5 and you have to take your own Tupperware tub and basically you just fill it up with whatever you want.

They do them for Greggs, Starbucks etc

Here are some screenshots 

DCCA19BB-7274-4481-8D09-A90D263FE529.png

B0F26E14-562C-40D3-954B-EC636CF8B192.png

Is there a limit to the size of box you can use?

We do gousto. Have done for ages. Its really good. The odd duff recipe but most are nice and they tend to be pretty easy to cook. 

I don't think £31.99 for 4 meals for two people each week is excessive but I may well need to check my privilege there. 

There are a couple of key benefits for me. One is waste, we throw far less out now because they send the right amount of everything you need. Also its ideas for stuff and recipes for stuff we never would have thought to make or known how to make. It's made me a better cook because it's opened up a bigger variety of ingredients and ideas. Downside would be portion sizes are hit and miss, sometimes they are huge and sometimes they are tiny. 

Tl;dr- gousto is good, highly recommend.

2 hours ago, smpar said:

Haven’t used it since before Christmas but having the cards is handy. We probably have about 40 meal cards now and it’s useful to pick a couple of the recipes before doing the weekly shop.

My brother used hello fresh for a while when I lived with him,  Can't remember the exact details but IIRC it worked out about 5 or 6 pounds a meal,  once I moved out quick google got the recipes and I was getting it for £2 out the supermarket.  

These things market themselves over ingredients etc,  but I don't think they are especially good at them, not much better than supermarket quality and if you are seeking better local farm produce will smash them out the park and you still pay less.

You are mainly paying for the recipes, which as said take minimal googling if you're wanting to expand your range, and convivence, which isn't even that good, certainly if you have supermarkets nearby.

Edit- too good to go does intrigue me tho,   but I do wonder when the deals become available,  presumably late at night?

Edited by parsforlife

4 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Far from a snob but traipsing in somewhere with your wee Tupperware tub ready to fill gives me the fear. 

Aye definitely was like that when I went, you do feel a bit stupid. Although you aren’t alone as there are maybe 10 of you who have turned up.

At China Buffet King they let you in at sat 9.45pm when it closes at 10pm so you are walking round the buffet filling up your tub whilst people who have paid full buck are still sitting at the table or coming around the buffet too.

1 hour ago, bennett said:

Is there a limit to the size of box you can use?

Well it says on it the size has to be X (can’t remember the amount) so I took a tub that was roughly that size but other people were there with bigger tubs and there didn’t seem to be any issues. I suppose from the owners point of view it’s 7/8/9*£5 for stuff that would otherwise be getting binned. Will help pay the wages of someone for that night.

Call me cynical, but I find it interesting that it's becoming fashionable for middle-class folk to hit up restaurants for old food that's about to be thrown out. Nice way to start expanding the marginal lifestyle that poor people have been experiencing for the past decade.

8 hours ago, parsforlife said:

too good to go does intrigue me tho,   but I do wonder when the deals become available,  presumably late at night?

Not necessarily. There isn't a set amount of what you'll get - just whatever is left. One day you can get £30 worth of stuff for £4 and the next you can get £4 worth of stuff for £4.

In Dundee they mostly pop up early morning but some are late at night. My pal got about £50 worth of Milloes cookies for £4. Great deal for her on the face of it but she was never going to eat all that and even after giving a load away had to bin some stuff herself. 

51 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Call me cynical, but I find it interesting that it's becoming fashionable for middle-class folk to hit up restaurants for old food that's about to be thrown out. Nice way to start expanding the marginal lifestyle that poor people have been experiencing for the past decade.

I don't know how you can be so sure of the demographics who use it. Mater Army, for instance would have been all over that when my siblings and I were younger.

So aye, I'm happy to call you cynical.

23 minutes ago, velo army said:

I don't know how you can be so sure of the demographics who use it. Mater Army, for instance would have been all over that when my siblings and I were younger.

So aye, I'm happy to call you cynical.

I'm not; it just seems like a nice friendly method of bringing the concept of food rationing to a group who haven't experienced it until now.

I guess we can come back to this in a decade and see how it's panned out.

They're sneaky b*****ds though. I got a range of boxes then thought that I'd just buy the ingredients myself, but they always chuck a curveball ingredient in there like "Henderson's Relish", which I'm convinced they don't sell anywhere. 

10 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

They're sneaky b*****ds though. I got a range of boxes then thought that I'd just buy the ingredients myself, but they always chuck a curveball ingredient in there like "Henderson's Relish", which I'm convinced they don't sell anywhere. 

https://www.hendersonsrelish.com/stockists/