Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

On 23/04/2022 at 15:26, Bairnardo said:

All of these "good news" announcements about oil companies upping their UK exploration and commissioning of new fields.....

Has ANYTHING changed here that actually means this "secures domestic energy" for us in the UK, because as I understood it, these private companies sell their wares on the open market and we have to pay going rate. So whilst it's MAYBE making the open market less reliant on Russia, its really not good news for anyone except the operators, or have I got this wrong?

Unless the extra tax revenue is going to be redirected to some public energy alleviation fund (aye, right), then no, it won't make much difference to Joe Public in the UK.

Makes my job that bit more secure (at the expense of some Russian gadgie) though.

"British oil for British people" makes for a good soundbite though, doesn't it.

5 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Did Scottish Power Chief Executive Keith Anderson, really ask the Government this week, (i.e. the Tax Payer) to bail our way of the fuel poverty crisis to the tune of £1,000 per annum for those hardest hit? Presumably this will be paid back through withholding future bonus payments to senior management and a % of shareholder dividends.....?

.....aye I didn’t think so.emoji849.png

Just before Christmas, Scottish power issued a company wide email to staff saying there would be company wide redundancies with more information to follow. 

Staff have had no further update. No indication what parts business etc so staff rightly anxious as to wtf going on.

Shell have now sent a 3rd demand to up my direct debit from £60 to £90.

Usage last month following the price cap rise - £52.

Utter charlatans.

Edited by 101
ETA 27th Mar-27th Apr so 4 days on the old rate meaning I think £60 is about right and I have £40 of credit with Shell

40 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Yeah, they tried it with me too.

After several weeks of me ignoring their "suggestion", they've just emailed me to say they've now upped my direct debit themselves to a figure they've dragged out of their own arses and would have been twice the amount I'd have actually used (I keep track of such things and can work it out) and for "my convenience" I don't need to do anything.

Well they were dead wrong there. I had to log in and change it straight back again.

They've just confirmed that I'm back to the previous amount.

They obviously confused me with a clueless numpty who will just bend over for them.

Chancing b*****ds.

They don't seem the understand I'm more than happy running up a deficit at their expense and if they were all that bothered being such a big player globally they would simply charge less for what the drill out the ground. Bunch of twats.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Yeah, they tried it with me too.

After several weeks of me ignoring their "suggestion", they've just emailed me to say they've now upped my direct debit themselves to a figure they've dragged out of their own arses and would have been twice the amount I'd have actually used (I keep track of such things and can work it out) and for "my convenience" I don't need to do anything.

Well they were dead wrong there. I had to log in and change it straight back again.

They've just confirmed that I'm back to the previous amount.

They obviously confused me with a clueless numpty who will just bend over for them.

Chancing b*****ds.

What any sensible person would do.  Not sure all providers let you change your direct debit within your online account though.

Ours tried to put the DD up nearly  50%, which had me seething as we're on a two year fix. A meter reading managed to keep it where it was. 

They are quite clearly at it and trying to get as much money in before people start struggling to pay. 

9 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Ofgem have also said there’s clear evidence of companies taking the utter piss.

Why don't we stop them doing it in the first place or batter the f**k out them when they do something wrong.

Folk are freezing, starving and struggling.

Lock up the CEOs and fine the companies fortunes and you can guarantee it will stop.

2 hours ago, RH33 said:

Ofgem, if I am correct, can't actually do anything but advise.

They calculate the price cap for gas and electricity unit rates on standard variable tariffs.

Fixed rates can be (and currently are) higher and not bound by this.

ETA neither are standing charges hence OfGEM's contention that suppliers "are taking the piss".

Edited by Arch Stanton

5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

BP profits soar as calls for windfall tax grow - BBC News

And BP are protesting against any idea of a windfall tax.

I mean, this is just absolutely ripping the piss.

But energy companies have already offered up a solution..... Their customers should be means tested and priced accordingly so that those who earn a bit more can subsidise those who dont. 

6 hours ago, oaksoft said:

BP profits soar as calls for windfall tax grow - BBC News

And BP are protesting against any idea of a windfall tax.

I mean, this is just absolutely ripping the piss.

But but but they’re definitely reinvesting the £5bn back into decarbonisation and renewables and certainly not giving it to their management and shareholders. 

According to yesterdays daily liar, trade minister  Anne Marie Trevelyn.  She needs her portfolio checked.

But energy companies have already offered up a solution..... Their customers should be means tested and priced accordingly so that those who earn a bit more can subsidise those who dont. 

Not sure I agree with this solution.

Not sure I agree with this solution.
It can't be a serious suggestion.

If it is, then it's a ridiculous, self serving suggestion that ought to get the feedback it deserves.

Paying extra through means testing for no other reason than to subsidise the profits of private companies who could easily afford to contribute more than this would ever achieve anyway and not even feel the pinch?

That idea can get in the sea along with whatever c*nt from the energy companies suggested it.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

But but but they’re definitely reinvesting the £5bn back into decarbonisation and renewables and certainly not giving it to their management and shareholders. 

According to yesterdays daily liar, trade minister  Anne Marie Trevelyn.  She needs her portfolio checked.

See the source image

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Think it was the head of BP said yesterday we all benefit from this windfall as we all own shares in BP through our pensions.

he might technically be correct but that’s some reach.