Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Can't say I'm particularly upset at their demise, they had a race to the bottom in terms of pricing meaning the slightest move on the market price between price caps sent them spiraling. Now there are far fewer companies left that only have a supplier operation and ones that are left have benefited from major swells in customer bases with no expenditure in landing Thier business due to Ofgem just rolling folk into other suppliers.

They aren't benefiting from swells of customer base, hence why they couldn't get anyone to take the huge Bulb customer base, which is now effectively state owned. Every new customer they do take is at a loss. If they wanted to get a large customer base right now they'd just put their prices below the energy cap, but then they'd go bust.

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I note the April forecast is now above £7k with a kWh of electricity forecast to be 110p.

It's not a winter fuel crisis that needs addressing - it's a 24 month plus long crisis.

Targetted payments, Tax cuts, VAT reductions (i know it's also a tax), removing Green levvies etc won't touch the sides here.

Tax cuts as the primary proposal to deal with this is abhorrent tbh. 

Edited by Dons_1988

7 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Biggest problem with this is the inequity of it all.

Yes, we are all going to pay a lot more for energy, but for those with Pensions and Investments, many of them will have things like BP / Shell etc shareholdings and will gain out of this. Those with bigger investments will make the most !

The poor, the people in the gig economy etc in effect pay for these gains, as well as living in cold houses without enough food to feed their kids.

I genuinely see civil unrest on the horizon and cant really criticise anyone who participates........................

Why, help is on the way 😉

Screenshot_20220826-090642.jpg

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Tax cuts as the primary proposal to deal with this is abhorrent tbh. 

Yeah, tax cuts might help the middle to higher income people that are about to be fucked by this, but will do nothing for the poorest, which is probably why it appeals to the Tories so much.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

I note the April forecast is now above £7k with a kWh of electricity forecast to be 110p.

It's not a winter fuel crisis that needs addressing - it's a 24 month plus long crisis.

Targetted payments, Tax cuts, VAT reductions (i know it's also a tax), removing Green levvies etc won't touch the sides here.

Agreed. All of the above are a complete waste of time. 

The only way to solve this in the short term is to stop people from paying the mental prices, most likely from setting the cap at a certain level below where it is now (£2k maybe?) and the government takes the majority of hit. 

We are at the stage where businesses are also going to need support or they will simply go bust. Amenities like swimming pools, libraries etc must also be at the point where they can't afford to operate either. Once again, businesses are not capped. 

Even if you dish out support of £2.5k per household to support the rise in January, you can't address the underlying problem and will end up chucking more money at the situation in a desperate attempt to mitigate the problems. It's futile. 

Longer term, stop dithering and build Sizewell C, amongst building more facilities to increase domestic production and ensure the country's energy needs can be met without reliance on Russian gas. 

5 minutes ago, Michael W said:

We are at the stage where businesses are also going to need support or they will simply go bust. Amenities like swimming pools, libraries etc must also be at the point where they can't afford to operate either. Once again, businesses are not capped. 

Not to mention schools. Heating costs are already extortionate for schools. No idea how councils will afford to heat their buildings.

A very bold move from the Tories to kill half of their voters this winter.  Truly the stupidest cunts in history.  As are their voters.
Oh. I never thought of it that way before.

Mon the Energy companies!!

4 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Not to mention schools. Heating costs are already extortionate for schools. No idea how councils will afford to heat their buildings.

Just wont bother like during Covid when they had the windows open mid-winter or cut down to a compressed wk of 3 or 4 days to reduce costs?

Alternative might be like the footy season and have a winter shutdown - kids in school over summer instead and move the problem back onto parents!!!

5 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Are those costs paid by the schools themselves from an allocated budget, or does the council pick it up centrally? Whichever it is the money just won't be there for it. I can see a lot of councils ending up in serious bother as well. 

Somewhat regrettably, I think it's only that that'll force the government into taking decent action. Schools being closed because they can't be heated and/or workplaces shuttering for similar reasons will be the only thing forcing it whilst people suffer in the meantime. 

22 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Just wont bother like during Covid when they had the windows open mid-winter or cut down to a compressed wk of 3 or 4 days to reduce costs?

Alternative might be like the footy season and have a winter shutdown - kids in school over summer instead and move the problem back onto parents!!!

I think it'll probably be the former with rules on jackets etc. relaxed. Can't see any way that the school year will change. Logistically a nightmare.

15 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Are those costs paid by the schools themselves from an allocated budget, or does the council pick it up centrally? Whichever it is the money just won't be there for it. I can see a lot of councils ending up in serious bother as well. 

I'm not sure to be honest whether it's dealt with centrally or by the schools but as you say either way it doesn't really matter.

I can see councils shutting what they perceive to be 'luxury' buildings like swimming pools and sports centres.

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I'm not sure to be honest whether it's dealt with centrally or by the schools but as you say either way it doesn't really matter.

I can see councils shutting what they perceive to be 'luxury' buildings like swimming pools and sports centres.

I may be wrong, but read that schools are in charge of their own budgets delivered form councils which also includes their utility costs along with various other commitments, therefore each school will need to look at its own measures to counter. Its also a requirement that a minimum ~32 hours (or near that) education a week must be provided, which is why 4 days was being considered by some - increase the length of each day a few hours and then save heating for a full day - whether this is feasible or acceptable would be a point of contention for parents regarding childcare, transport etc.