St Mirren v Heart of Midlothian 26/2/22

The Ronan sending off killed us and we haven't been in this game since. Can't really blame Robinson for that.

However I'm yet to be convinced about Power and Gogic as a central pairing. Neither has any sort of creative/attacking threat, and we have no one stepping forward from deep in the midfield to push the team as a whole forward. If the opposition can isolate Jones/Kiltie we have nothing. Was the same last week.

1 minute ago, BC17 said:

The Ronan sending off killed us and we haven't been in this game since. Can't really blame Robinson for that.

However I'm yet to be convinced about Power and Gogic as a central pairing. Neither has any sort of creative/attacking threat, and we have no one stepping forward from deep in the midfield to push the team as a whole forward. If the opposition can isolate Jones/Kiltie we have nothing. Was the same last week.

Take Gogic and Power out our midfield and we would get bullied and completely over run. We are not good enough to play the majority of the game on the front foot, so you need two holding midfielders to protect the back four.

Take Gogic and Power out our midfield and we would get bullied and completely over run. We are not good enough to play the majority of the game on the front foot, so you need two holding midfielders to protect the back four.
It makes us one-dimensional creatively, though. I get what you're saying and I don't mind having those midfield enforcers but they're very similar players from what we've seen so far.

Perhaps that's as much about the balance of the front four as it is those two, though. Jones looked great against Kelty but he's done nothing since because he's isolated.

FT 0-2
Yep not easy playing 70 minutes with ten men. Especially if you get denied a stonewall penalty within that 70 minutes at 0-0.
The extra man was always going to tell and it did second half, there’s always that extra pass available. Thought Alnwick was fouled for the second goal actually, he needed treatment afterwards. Denied another pen for hand ball in injury time too. Just one of those days and the second week in a row where we’ve been shafted with decisions. Will turn soon I’m sure!
Performance wise can’t read too much into it. Main looked bright when he came on, maybe he will have a second lease of life under the new manager.
Four away games in 14 days on the bounce now. Parkhead, Dingwall, Dens and Tynecastle. They will either make or end our season.

7 minutes ago, Lex said:

FT 0-2
Yep not easy playing 70 minutes with ten men. Especially if you get denied a stonewall penalty within that 70 minutes at 0-0.
The extra man was always going to tell and it did second half, there’s always that extra pass available. Thought Alnwick was fouled for the second goal actually, he needed treatment afterwards. Denied another pen for hand ball in injury time too. Just one of those days and the second week in a row where we’ve been shafted with decisions. Will turn soon I’m sure!
Performance wise can’t read too much into it. Main looked bright when he came on, maybe he will have a second lease of life under the new manager.
Four away games in 14 days on the bounce now. Parkhead, Dingwall, Dens and Tynecastle. They will either make or end our season.

So you were denied a penalty at the end, but no mention of the Power one which was far clearer.

Moan about your penalty first half, but no mention of Fraser should've had a red too?

Salty.

No idea what the sending off was for, so will need to see it again. That changes the game and Hearts were the better side. I thought the lad Simms made a difference to them when he came on. 

On another day we'd have maybe got 2 penalties. The first one was the other end from me so couldn't say for sure, the hand ball at the end looked a stone waller. 

7 minutes ago, Lex said:

FT 0-2

Don't commit red card offences.

Your first penalty shout was an accident but I would not have been surprised if you'd got it and wouldn't have complained.  Its not a stonewaller.

It wasn't a foul on Alnwick, not even close.

The injury time shout is never a penalty, hits the top of Halkett's arm which is by his side.  

Overall I was happy with our performance bar the finishing, we were controlling the game even with 11 v 11 and we could have been out of sight in the first 20 minutes.

Fair play to Neilson, got it bang on today

47 minutes ago, BC17 said:

I agree with you, Power had a terrible second half today and we looked a fair bit better in midfield after Flynn came on. I don’t think the Celtic game is one we can change it for though.

12 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

What is inaccurate? We literally had about 3 gilt edged chances in the first 10 minutes.

I could've been in goals for the first half and it would've been 0-0 at half time. 

Hearts were the better team and deserved winners, no question. To claim the game should've been out of sight in 20 mins is a bit silly. 

Edited by houston_bud

We were utter shite for the 22 mins that was 11 v 11 anyway. Hearts had put two good crosses in which Boyce missed his headers. Hearts were the only ones finding a team mate with passes. We just constantly over hit hoofed balls with a stong wind behind that harmlessly flew out for goal kicks. We offered nothing. I actually never saw the sending off incident, it obviously changed the game, but for the remainder of the first half, we were no worse with ten than we had been with eleven.

The second half was shite. Robinson must go… time for a beer. 🤐