Peterhead v Dumbarton

2 minutes ago, the snudge said:

If we go down then our indiscipline is going to be the cause of that. Perhaps one of the stattos will be able to confirm but I can't remember a season with so many red cards issued.

Red cards and penalties conceded. Really poor on both counts.

28 minutes ago, the snudge said:
If we go down then our indiscipline is going to be the cause of that. Perhaps one of the stattos will be able to confirm but I can't remember a season with so many red cards issued.

Last time we had five red cards in a season was 2009/10. But we obviously might end up with more. I'm not sure how many penalties we've conceded but the most we've had awarded against us in a season before now is 12 in 1990/91. I'm sure @Jan Vojáček will confirm this year's tally.

Edited by microdave

Guest Bluetoon

Absolutely got away with one there. Can't see why we went from being in so much control to virtually hanging on second half. Luck that Dumbarton were down to 10 early on as I think they'd make it a more even contest. 

Don't think the second red was a red either

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Didn't watch the game, were the red cards justified? 

The first one was quick fire. He was booked at the edge of the box for a foul , then minutes later another bookable offence.

The second red was for jumping in 2 footed when there was no need really.  Dont remember if he(McLean ) had been booked previously?

If it was a straight red then it may have been harsh, but the fact he was off his feet may have decided his fate.

13 minutes ago, microdave said:

Last time we had five red cards in a season was 2009/10. But we obviously might end up with more. I'm not sure how many penalties we've conceded but the most we've had awarded against us in a season before now is 12 in 1990/91. I'm sure @Jan Vojáček will confirm this year's tally.

I think we're at 12 or 13 penalties this season?

Anyway. That was mental. We were awful in the first half and deserved to be 3-0 down. If not more.

In the second half we were well on top and probably deserved a leveller. I'd imagine if Lambie hadn't decide to crush any hopes of a comeback with the inexplicable MacLean second booking then we'd probably have managed it too. I hate blaming referees, especially when we only turned up for 45 minutes, but he really did kill us with that decision. 

29 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Anyway. That was mental. We were awful in the first half and deserved to be 3-0 down. If not more.

In the second half we were well on top and probably deserved a leveller. I'd imagine if Lambie hadn't decide to crush any hopes of a comeback with the inexplicable MacLean second booking then we'd probably have managed it too. I hate blaming referees, especially when we only turned up for 45 minutes, but he really did kill us with that decision. 

Iv not seen the game or decisions today but in the game at Airdrie where we had 3 off they were all reds in my opinion (granted we didn't hear what was said in the dissent), more so from stupidity on our part. Yes it's frustrating that the ref brandishes cards so freely, I'd put it down to poor game management, but ultimately its our poor discipline that costs us. From what iv read patons 2nd yellow was a stick on, from an experienced player that's inexcusable and he can get to f**k as far as I'm concerned, if we want to get out of this hole we need 11 players on the pitch!

10 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Iv not seen the game or decisions today but in the game at Airdrie where we had 3 off they were all reds in my opinion (granted we didn't hear what was said in the dissent), more so from stupidity on our part. Yes it's frustrating that the ref brandishes cards so freely, I'd put it down to poor game management, but ultimately its our poor discipline that costs us. From what iv read patons 2nd yellow was a stick on, from an experienced player that's inexcusable and he can get to f**k as far as I'm concerned, if we want to get out of this hole we need 11 players on the pitch!

I'd take 10 players on the pitch if we started without Boyle.

27 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Your use of the word 'inexcusable' is interesting Jan, but to me the more honest use of it would apply to Ross McLean who with the game clawed back to 2-3 despite the team already being down to 10 men foolishly launched himself at a Peterhead player who was on the right wing deep in his defensive half.  Result ?  Deserved yellow card. 

Not content with that idiocy, only a few minutes later he recklessly contrived to foul another Peterhead player, again in the defensive half, and again with the team already down to 10 men.  Result ?  Deserved second yellow card, followed by obligatory red card.  Based on the season thus far he is a player unfortunately never far from a stupid challenge or a card.

Of course, Paul Paton hadn't exactly helped the cause by leaving the action fairly early on, never mind some of the familiar failings we've come to expect, so let's not kid ourselves that referee Scott Lambie was responsible for today's defeat.  And our indiscipline on and off the park has become shocking.

Anyway, another Saturday, another loss.  And two players suspended next week.  I'm quite delighted I'll be at a wedding in Perthshire.

17 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Your use of the word 'inexcusable' is interesting Jan, but to me the more honest use of it would apply to Ross McLean who with the game clawed back to 2-3 despite the team already being down to 10 men foolishly launched himself at a Peterhead player who was on the right wing deep in his defensive half.  Result ?  Deserved yellow card. 

Not content with that idiocy, only a few minutes later he recklessly contrived to foul another Peterhead player, again in the defensive half, and again with the team already down to 10 men.  Result ?  Deserved second yellow card, followed by obligatory red card.  Based on the season thus far he is a player unfortunately never far from a stupid challenge or a card.

Of course, Paul Paton hadn't exactly helped the cause by leaving the action fairly early on, never mind some of the familiar failings we've come to expect, so let's not kid ourselves that referee Scott Lambie was responsible for today's defeat.  And our indiscipline on and off the park has become shocking.

Anyway, another Saturday, another loss.  And two players suspended next week.  I'm quite delighted I'll be at a wedding in Perthshire.

The second booking was right in front of me and it wasn't reckless. Needless, maybe. Although if he doesn't close down the defender in that situation then I think questions would be asked. But it's certainly not reckless and certainly not deserving of a booking. It was actually the Peterhead player who followed through onto MacLean as he cleared the ball. MacLean just ran across his path. As was the case in the Rangers game the other night with the chalked off goal, it's a foul as he's impeding the player clearing the ball. But it's not deserving of a booking.

The first one was a professional foul and a clear yellow. No complaints from me at all on that. Likewise Paton's two. His first booking being for dissent is completely inexcusable for a player of his experience. Especially when we know what Scott Lambie is like. After that he should know he's walking a tightrope, he took a gamble.

Do we have an indiscipline problem? Five red cards this season is a bad total. But they have came in two games, both officiated by the same man. I'd say five red cards across five separate games represents ill-discipline. But two games where we haven't finished with 11 men out of 27 (I think) isn't a horrendous total. I'd imagine most teams will actually have finished with 10 men on more occasions than that. Even today, Peterhead conceding 16 fouls to our 11. We certainly aren't an aggressive team, nor one who are particularly good at knowing when to concede a tactical foul.

If we had kept 10 men on the park then I genuinely think we'd have taken something. But we didn't.

That's not to excuse the first-half in anyway. If we'd produced anything like a passable first 45 minutes and followed it up with that second-half then we'd have taken something. But we didn't. And Peterhead would've thoroughly merited a 5-0 lead at half-time. The Jekyll and Hyde nature of our performance worries me far more than any issue with discipline.