Peterhead v Dumbarton

6 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

The second booking was right in front of me and it wasn't reckless. Needless, maybe. Although if he doesn't close down the defender in that situation then I think questions would be asked. But it's certainly not reckless and certainly not deserving of a booking. It was actually the Peterhead player who followed through onto MacLean as he cleared the ball. MacLean just ran across his path. As was the case in the Rangers game the other night with the chalked off goal, it's a foul as he's impeding the player clearing the ball. But it's not deserving of a booking.

The first one was a professional foul and a clear yellow. No complaints from me at all on that. Likewise Paton's two. His first booking being for dissent is completely inexcusable for a player of his experience. Especially when we know what Scott Lambie is like. After that he should know he's walking a tightrope, he took a gamble.

Do we have an indiscipline problem? Five red cards this season is a bad total. But they have came in two games, both officiated by the same man. I'd say five red cards across five separate games represents ill-discipline. But two games where we haven't finished with 11 men out of 27 (I think) isn't a horrendous total. I'd imagine most teams will actually have finished with 10 men on more occasions than that. Even today, Peterhead conceding 16 fouls to our 11. We certainly aren't an aggressive team, nor one who are particularly good at knowing when to concede a tactical foul.

If we had kept 10 men on the park then I genuinely think we'd have taken something. But we didn't.

That's not to excuse the first-half in anyway. If we'd produced anything like a passable first 45 minutes and followed it up with that second-half then we'd have taken something. But we didn't. And Peterhead would've thoroughly merited a 5-0 lead at half-time. The Jekyll and Hyde nature of our performance worries me far more than any issue with discipline. 

I totally appreciate your better view of McLean's second booking Jan, but it actually serves to highlight the stupidity of the first yellow card; once you have picked that up you are exposed to whatever interpretation a referee wishes to put on anything thereafter.  Himself and Paton sitting in the stand next week at home to Queens due to yes, indiscipline, inhibits team selection and makes an already difficult fixture a whole lot harder.

It won't however be the determining factor over the season, that as you rightly say will be down to the football.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I think we're at 12 or 13 penalties this season?

Anyway. That was mental. We were awful in the first half and deserved to be 3-0 down. If not more.

In the second half we were well on top and probably deserved a leveller. I'd imagine if Lambie hadn't decide to crush any hopes of a comeback with the inexplicable MacLean second booking then we'd probably have managed it too. I hate blaming referees, especially when we only turned up for 45 minutes, but he really did kill us with that decision. 

Question the first booking for MacLean but the second challenge was definitely a yellow, he was about 10 minutes late and the ball was long gone.

I think we're at 12 or 13 penalties this season?

Just counted and we've conceded 12. Nine have been scored directly with another two rebounds being converted (I think). If I'm right, then only Airdrie's second in the infamous Lambie game didn't result in a goal.

33 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

The second booking was right in front of me and it wasn't reckless. Needless, maybe. Although if he doesn't close down the defender in that situation then I think questions would be asked. But it's certainly not reckless and certainly not deserving of a booking. It was actually the Peterhead player who followed through onto MacLean as he cleared the ball

It may have been right in front of you but your eyesight must be shocking.  That is a booking all day long.

It's fair to say that the ref pulling a muscle prior to the game starting and then having to put a tanky out for a linesman was not the strangest thing that happened today.  

A bizarre game, dominated by the wind and our usual suicidal defending.  It doesn't take a genius to work out that playing the ball out from a goal kick isn't the most sensible course of action when you are being pressed so high and don't have the ability to pass accurately.

Credit to Dumbarton who even when down to 10 and then 9 continued to press and hurry Peterhead.  We did get numerous opportunities to break forward but the majority were hampered by Jack Browne not knowing that there is an offside rule in football.

Gladly take the 3 points and hope for better midweek.

20 minutes ago, strichener said:

It may have been right in front of you but your eyesight must be shocking.  That is a booking all day long.

It is. But I had my contact lenses in ;)

Maybe I'll watch it back and realise I'm wrong and it was heat of the moment. But at the time I felt the booking was extremely harsh and, in a large part, down to McDonald's reaction. Not that I have an issue with that given I'd fully expect our player to do the exact same.

7 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Maybe I'll watch it back and realise I'm wrong and it was heat of the moment. But at the time I felt the booking was extremely harsh and, in a large part, down to McDonald's reaction. Not that I have an issue with that given I'd fully expect our player to do the exact same.

An interesting point, I feel that all too often we have players who are too honest and don't go down when there is contact. But on the flipside, we have MacLean who spends way too much time on the ground.

31 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

McDonald has been caught like that a few times this season, would say he has lost us at least 6 goals by losing the ball at the back. He seems to think because we give him a blue shirt he can play about at the back like Chelsea, if he moved the ball on faster he would not get clattered. Cost us two goals again today while we went from total control to wanting to hear the final whistle against 9 men. The points were important but we made it way too hard for ourselves.

35 minutes ago, peternapper said:

McDonald has been caught like that a few times this season, would say he has lost us at least 6 goals by losing the ball at the back. He seems to think because we give him a blue shirt he can play about at the back like Chelsea, if he moved the ball on faster he would not get clattered. Cost us two goals again today while we went from total control to wanting to hear the final whistle against 9 men. The points were important but we made it way too hard for ourselves.

It's not hard to see why the two teams are in the position they are after the defensive displays from both sides today. Unfortunately the red cards (correct or not), IMO, were the difference on the day.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Interesting to see the different views. Even allowing they're from opposing supporters, it simply shows how hard it can be as a referee when you get one glimpse of an incident and have to make that instant decision.

Guest Bluetoon
2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Foul was in front of us and looks like McDonald has bought the foul. Very little contact from McLean.

At last some goals .. but we didn’t half make it hard on ourselves.  Few chances to go 4-0 , 4-1 up but couldn’t find the killer touch

fair play to Dumbarton who were far better with 10 than 11 players ! 

the second sending off was debatable, but easy decision for the ref 

15 hours ago, peternapper said:

He played like that when he was in a black and white shirt too!