Livingston v Dundee United - Wednesday 2 March 2022

4 minutes ago, captainkev said:

Deserved on the whole and that'll be the winner. We're dire going forward and not equalising here.

^^^ this.

Feel sorry for Edwards but we’ve been second best yet again.  Our attacking options are awful and McNulty as our main striker is awful.

Absolutely tepid pish from United there. 

What were the actual tactics in the second half? 

And how many times was Mulgrew planning on ignoring McMann standing in space on the left waiting on the pass whilst open? 

By the time Mulgrew fannied about with the ball looking elsewhere McMann had two Livi players covering him. 

Waste of time. 

If i never see Mcnulty and Clark in a United shirt again, it will be too soon. 

Mcnulty 2 goals in 16 games including a penalty

Clark 6 goals in 35 including 2 penalties

Simply unacceptable at any level

Formation change worked for United, they dominated possession in the second half. Very fortunate for us that United had absolutely nothing in the final third. 

We had all the big chances though, should have scored well before we upped the tempo on that one bit of play. Quality passing from Obileye, Holt and eventually Devlin with a great cross. 

Big win, probably need 4/5 more points to get Top 6 from here.

ETA - Outstanding games from the initial front 3 again. If we can get Nouble scoring, we'll be getting our passports out.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

^^^ this.

Feel sorry for Edwards but we’ve been second best yet again.  Our attacking options are awful and McNulty as our main striker is awful.

Yeah it was much more unlucky for Edwards tonight compared to the one on Saturday.

I'm beyond fed up with moaning about McNulty now. Can't believe we got suckered into taking him for another year.

I like Clark, he's a useful squad option from the bench, but we need to upgrade and push him further down the pecking order.

Livi deserved that tonight. We just have to be grateful that results everywhere else have been relatively kind to us.

3 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:
10 minutes ago, JD and associates said:
Marc mcnulty hahaha I remember him. Those were depressing days. 

46 goals in 113 appearances as a youngster... depressing? Give it a rest

Was about to say this, McNulty for us was like Bruce is now, a pest and a poacher. It looks like United have tried to make him into a big strong hold up target man which is laughable, he looks like he's really bulked up/heavy now too and it's killing his natural game

16 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:
24 minutes ago, JD and associates said:
Marc mcnulty hahaha I remember him. Those were depressing days. 

46 goals in 113 appearances as a youngster... depressing? Give it a rest

I’d say being near the bottom of the 1st division every season is quite depressing. The reason why we’re almost an established top 6 side in the premier division these days is because we don’t rely on players like Marc McNulty. 

Just got into the stadium and was heading to my seat when Utd scored, thought great, going to be one of those games for us. Not the one it turned out where we scored 2 going on 5 and win all 3 pts. Big Nouble outstanding again on the wing, gets fouled to f**k and awarded nothing from the ref too, but is so good at making passes under pressure and flick ons. Some goal by Pitts, looking forward to seeing it a few times more on Sportscene. 

Up to 4th we go, mon the Lions.

Happy Wonder Woman GIF

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

Absolutely tepid pish from United there. 

What were the actual tactics in the second half? 

And how many times was Mulgrew planning on ignoring McMann standing in space on the left waiting on the pass whilst open? 

By the time Mulgrew fannied about with the ball looking elsewhere McMann had two Livi players covering him. 

Waste of time. 

Mulgrew uses his right foot for standing on mostly, although he did score with it earlier in the season. He almost always passes to the right, including multiple balls to Edwards, who then gives him it back.

1 hour ago, Twinkle said:

If i never see Mcnulty and Clark in a United shirt again, it will be too soon. 

Mcnulty 2 goals in 16 games including a penalty

Clark 6 goals in 35 including 2 penalties

Simply unacceptable at any level

I had hopes, not too high, for McNulty in the main striker position, but he's been poor. One thing he does do is look for an early ball in space, but our players are far too slow to attempt any such passes. To expect him to win a hopeful ball played to a position where he had to battle with Obileye tonight was stupidity. Even if he did get to the ball first, there was never anyone close enough to him to benefit from a second ball.

1 hour ago, captainkev said:

Yeah it was much more unlucky for Edwards tonight compared to the one on Saturday.

I'm beyond fed up with moaning about McNulty now. Can't believe we got suckered into taking him for another year.

I like Clark, he's a useful squad option from the bench, but we need to upgrade and push him further down the pecking order.

Livi deserved that tonight. We just have to be grateful that results everywhere else have been relatively kind to us.

Clark came on to replace a forward and proceeded to try to be a midfielder. He did have one really good opportunity, and missed the target.

We couldn't have complained if Livingston had won by a few more goals tonight, that was our worst performance of the season, for me. But to blame the defeat on ourselves alone is to do Livingston a disservice, as they were able to control, pass, press and generally perform better than us all over the pitch. They looked more athletic and fitter than us, and appeared to have more footballing ability.

2 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Mulgrew uses his right foot for standing on mostly, although he did score with it earlier in the season.

That epic assist against Motherwell too where he crossed it in from right wing.

9 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Was about to say this, McNulty for us was like Bruce is now, a pest and a poacher. It looks like United have tried to make him into a big strong hold up target man which is laughable, he looks like he's really bulked up/heavy now too and it's killing his natural game

Nah, McNulty hasn't changed at all since he came to United. If his frame has changed since he left Livi then it's more likely simply growing up and filling out with age, although he doesn't look particularly bulky to me. Nothing wrong with his pace, movement or work rate. It's just the actual football stuff like kicking the ball at the goal or passing to a teammate which is letting him down.

Anyway, well deserved win for Livi last night. We did okay for short spells but we're absolutely toothless up front. Livi made good chances all night and probably merited a bigger win.

Forrest looked as he always does against us. If he does actually sign a pre contract that would cheer me up a bit.

Who else was expecting Soto to be subbed off last night? 🙈😂

Pleased with Devlin's recovery during the game.  He started quite poorly, but came good in the end.  Love his passion at full-time!

If Dundee Utd sign Forrest, they best buckle up for the Alan Forrest Show.  It can be frustrating at times 😂

I thought we started quite well last night but let some defensive laxness nearly knock up off our stride.

United had obviously done their homework on us and challenged for everything; closing us down as soon as they could and not allowing us to settle our game.

Incidentally I thought Marc McNulty was giving Jack Fitzwater a torrid time for the first 20 minutes last night; often beating him for outright speed and agility. After that we seemed to change our game plan with closing him down at every eventuality and really not leaving him with a plan B particularly after Tony Watt went off - or maybe he wasn't fit enough and got too tired too early.

We had a lot of attempts at goal (21?) but generally I thought United contributed well to a blood and thunder type tie. Incidentally we got zero yellow card last night and yet managed to pick up nine against Aberdeen where our playing style was very similar - who says there's inconsistency with Scottish refereeing?

For Forrest; I very much doubt he'll be signing any PCA's just yet. I would expect him to continue to perform as he has and weigh up who comes in for him on a free at the end of the season. He's 25 at then moment, not too old for a first Scotland call-up but time is certainly running out fast. He will need a club that will give him an almost guaranteed start; the more high profile the better, and, of course, European football could be a significant draw. I would also expect, with maybe six or seven top class playing years ahead of him; he'll be looking for a big sign on fee and salary. That kind of puts us out of the running but I live in hope - as always.

A lot of United fans seem to be quite down on their performance last night; I don't know how that compares to the norm but, for me, I thought they battled strongly and gave us a real contest. Unlucky for the lad (Edwards?) for the own goal but I think he had to make the interception else it was heading straight to Soto for a tap in - them's the breaks I suppose.