St Johnstone vs Rangers , Wednesday 2 March, 2022

We were alright but I’m mostly frustrated as Rangers were poor and we should have taken something. Not taking at least a point in games like that is why we are where we are.

Manager way way too slow with subs too. Hendry looked fucked on 70 mins yet stayed on until 85. Crawford was offering very little and was only taken off due to injury. The second half was so scrappy having Bair up there for balls shelled at head height would have been helpful (and when he came on he won a few and caused some chaos), but he only comes on at 85 mins. May has plenty to offer but was the wrong sub to go up against their big carthorse CBs. And game was crying out for O’Halloran too.

On the bright side good performances from Hendry, Butterfield, Sang and McCart/Gordon I thought. Gordon and McCart looked like a very confident CB pairing.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

I thought Butterfield was shite, tbh.

Not very often I’ll agree with you but this time I do. We have basically gave a right footed Liam Craig a contract with the added downside that he’s not happy in the tackle

3 minutes ago, NYD1997 said:

Not very often I’ll agree with you but this time I do. We have basically gave a right footed Liam Craig a contract with the added downside that he’s not happy in the tackle

He’s pathetic when going up for headers too. I think I would rather Liam Craig was in the team, which tells a story of where we are

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We comfortably have the worst attack in the country and lost 3-1 to Ross County at the weekend who could've bagged about 5.

Rangers deciding to "see the game out" is cowardly for an Old Firm side. Theres no coincidence you regularly chuck away winning positions under GVB, and will continue to do so, when thats how he reacts to going ahead.

Quite why you're claiming we were lucky we didn't concede an offside goal is beyond me though 😂 Maybe if he wasn't offside he wouldn't have been in 5 yards of space in the box...

I never said we decided to see the game out, I said that’s what happened. We had chances to kill the game off.

I also never said you were lucky you didn’t concede an offside goal, I used that as an example (as well as the Parish save) to demonstrate the fine margins between a routine 1-0 victory and that of something much more clear cut.

As I said, I’ve no objections to anyone saying we weren’t at our best, but to suggest this was a performance that you hadn’t seen even during our banter years is, as I said, complete hyperbole.

You also seem to be a tad hypocritical at Rangers decision to counter attack at times too. I’m sure I recall you previously claiming this is a viable tactic if teams with the ball do nothing with it. Well St Johnstone done absolutely nothing when they had the ball in that second half, why wouldn’t we counter attack when the opportunity presents itself?

This was not some, backs to the wall defensive performance from Rangers. Counter attacking is a huge part of our game and it has been for years now.

Edited by AJF

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

I never said we decided to see the game out, I said that’s what happened. We had chances to kill the game off.

Did you?

Arfields chance is the only one I can remember. What ones have I missed?

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Did you?

Arfields chance is the only one I can remember. What ones have I missed?

Morelos struck the post, Arfield blazed over from 8 yards and Parish excellently saved a certain goal, again from Arfield.

Edited by AJF

4 minutes ago, AJF said:

Well St Johnstone done absolutely nothing when they had the ball in that second half, why wouldn’t we counter attack when the opportunity presents itself?

Because you had about 70% possession in the second half 😂

Playing for counters when you're dominating possession and your opponents are playing long ball football just won't work. It's totally pointless and reeks of a manager who's get a set idea of how to react to things rather than one who's adapting to what he sees.

Just now, AJF said:

Morelos struck the post, Arfield blazed over from 8 yards and Parish excellently saved a certain goal, again from Arfield.

Right.

So we posed "no goal threat" by having one shot on target after the goal, bit Rangers "had plenty of chances" by having one shot on target after the goal.

Good stuff.

He’s pathetic when going up for headers too. I think I would rather Liam Craig was in the team, which tells a story of where we are

The midfield was crying out for Murray. Absolutely crying out for him.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Right.

So we posed "no goal threat" by having one shot on target after the goal, bit Rangers "had plenty of chances" by having one shot on target after the goal.

Good stuff.

Why do you keep misquoting me? It seems a deliberate ploy to try and suit your argument. I said we had chances to the kill the game off. If you don’t believe any of the 3 examples I provided were chances to kill the game off, then I fear we will need to agree to disagree.

Also, when did “chances” need to be shots on target to be considered chances?

Edited by AJF

58 minutes ago, NYD1997 said:

I don't see what he adds, at all. I'm not even sure where you play him to get the best out him.

He can't compete physically. Can't defend space. Can't win a header. Doesn't beat players in possession. Can't play any decisive passes. Doesn't spread the play. Doesn't show for the ball regularly. Doesn't pose any goal threat.

Like what does he do? He just seems to float about completing simple passes and almost getting caught in possession because he can't move.

Was willing to give him a chance as I hoped he was just needed fitness, but hes just finished as a CM any top flight level for me. Sums us up this season that hes playing regularly, he honestly couldn't have looked less arsed against County if he tried so it was a bit bemusing to see him start tonight.

Butterfield was pathetic in Dingwall and I agree looked like he couldn’t be arsed - tonight I thought there was a lot more desire there and that he linked up pretty well with the forwards and was generally fine. Plus had a decent effort on goal and moved the ball around fairly well. On the not showing for the ball thing I disagree - defo think he was guilty of that on sat but not tonight. Thought he was better than Hallberg who I’ve been impressed with up to now.

Can someone please tell me what impressed them about Butterfield last night? He should really be called the abdicator, just passes the buck constantly.

The stage of talking about performances is well down the road. We maybe passed the ball not too badly at times on an embarrassment of a pitch but so what? It created nothing and we have nothing to show for it. 

The mis-management of Callum Hendry another huge feather in the cap of this manager.

10 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

With the presence of someone who is 5ft 2.

Don’t agree with this. The boy is a tank and has won a decent amount in the air in his limited time on the pitch. He had the Rangers tank Bassey bouncing off him in a couple of challenges. Definite problem for opposition defences to worry about.

Not sure about his mobility or footballing ability however. It would be nice if he was to ever get more than a late cameo sub appearance. Should offer something different upfront. 

34 minutes ago, Sh*teAndMuck said:

Don’t agree with this. The boy is a tank and has won a decent amount in the air in his limited time on the pitch. He had the Rangers tank Bassey bouncing off him in a couple of challenges. Definite problem for opposition defences to worry about.

Not sure about his mobility or footballing ability however. It would be nice if he was to ever get more than a late cameo sub appearance. Should offer something different upfront. 

I've heard from a few people that the players have been saying Bair is a beast in training. Big, fast, strong, good finisher. Other than the big bit, we've not really seen much else from him. Then again, it's pretty hard to impress much in 5 minute cameos, when Davidson's lost the plot and is just throwing forwards on in any random clusterfuck of a "formation", and the ball's being shelled out the park by the centre halfs.

I'd be happy if we give him and Hendry a go from the start on Saturday. We already know that, other than Hendry, none of our other available forwards even attempt to get into goalscoring positions, let alone score a fucking goal. He couldn't be any less mobile or effective than Ciftci was last night, at least. 

Bair probably needs a start so we can properly judge him, it's not fair at all to write him off based on 5/10 minute hail mary appearances.

Conversely I've not seen anything from him in those appearance to warrant a start either.

Then again, what striker has apart from Hendry?