St Johnstone vs Rangers , Wednesday 2 March, 2022

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Bair probably needs a start so we can properly judge him, it's not fair at all to write him off based on 5/10 minute hail mary appearances.

Conversely I've not seen anything from him in those appearance to warrant a start either.

Then again, what striker has apart from Hendry?

Trying not to go 'full da' on this but to me, so far, it's that daft old expression 'doesn't look like a footballer'. Not easy to pin down exactly, but to my eyes he looks a bit lumbering and not comfortable on the ball. It's a real contrast to Hendry who has fantastic 'soft feet' touch and always look like he moves with purpose, whereas Bair looks a bit lost. He's not exactly looked lightning quick either, although my suspicion is that he's more of a Rooney in that respect, i.e. takes a few yards to get up to ramming speed and then he's an absolute cannonball.

But as others have said, we really need to see him start as he's only ever came on chasing a game. 

This is one where I'd be happy to take stats over appearance though and still hope his sheer size and physicality will be a difference-maker. 

On last night I agree with @Radfordthat the time's gone for commenting on performances rather than results, but I'll immediately go back on that by saying that one crumb of comfort from last night was that CD didn't start chucking on every single attacking player we have and confusing everyone with crazy formations and folk out of position all over the park. It seemed a bit less manic and more controlled (possibly even a bit too conservative this time though). 

I see The Rainjurz were fannying about with a load of nonsense flags as usual!?
200.gif

They seemed more angry at the friendly than anything else last night. Quietest support from them in a long while.

Minus the usual shite.

37 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

He's not exactly looked lightning quick either, although my suspicion is that he's more of a Rooney in that respect, i.e. takes a few yards to get up to ramming speed and then he's an absolute cannonball.

This is it, I think.

My impression before I saw him in the flesh, with the hefty caveat that I didn't see a huge amount of him and its all just small clips, was he was more of a poacher type despite his size. Give him a chance within the area and more often than not he's hitting the net. He needs space to do anything outside the box though so he'll likely end up drifting wide, i dont think hes one who'll be bringing the ball down under pressure. He's obviously huge so will beat opponents physically sometimes, but I didn’t get the impression he knew how to use his body properly yet.

I think he might work well in a partnership with Hendry tbh, with Hendry being the central focus point and Bair drifting around him, which I understand people won't like as they see a 6"5 centre forward and expect him to be a battering ram.

Edited by RandomGuy.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Bair probably needs a start so we can properly judge him, it's not fair at all to write him off based on 5/10 minute hail mary appearances.

Conversely I've not seen anything from him in those appearance to warrant a start either.

Then again, what striker has apart from Hendry?

Agree with this entirely. Last night we brought him on basically to win the ball in the air with MOH running off him. I nearly blew a gasket right at full time when McCart had the chance to launch one into the box - basically the same ball he's aimlessly hit all season - and he turned back.

No point in bringing guys in and not doing anything with them. If 4-4-2 is something Davidson wants to pursue after last night then Middleton on the left, MOH on the right and Bair/Hendry through the middle is maybe worth a pop at Easter Road. I suspect we'll be back to 3-5-2.

11 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Agree with this entirely. Last night we brought him on basically to win the ball in the air with MOH running off him. I nearly blew a gasket right at full time when McCart had the chance to launch one into the box - basically the same ball he's aimlessly hit all season - and he turned back.

No point in bringing guys in and not doing anything with them. If 4-4-2 is something Davidson wants to pursue after last night then Middleton on the left, MOH on the right and Bair/Hendry through the middle is maybe worth a pop at Easter Road. I suspect we'll be back to 3-5-2.

Think I'd prefer Sang on the right over MOH, and have a suspicion that we might see a back 4 again. I don't think we sacrificed much more defensively last night but it was more of a 4-3-3 I thought. Brown looks more comfortable as a traditional right back. Also with injuries you'd think Hibs aren't as much of an attacking threat than Sevco.

We didn't seem to get Crawford or Nadir out of the midfield too often though, Hendy seemed isolated an awful lot of the time, more so as the game went on. Or maybe he was just working harder. 

On 02/03/2022 at 14:33, Jinky67 said:

Not sure about that. In the game at Parkhead it could have been 5 or 6 by half time if not for McGregor

Didn’t watch much of the first half (thankfully)

I think it was you who claimed Rangers had put in some Turgid performances recently. I disagreed with this but that performance last night was turgid! Dreadful performance against a poor team on an even poorer playing surface. 

A much needed three points and we move on to Saturday and the 150 celebrations that I’m sure Aberdeen will be desperate to ruin 

Just now, AB1872 said:

Didn’t watch much of the first half (thankfully)

I think it was you who claimed Rangers had put in some Turgid performances recently. I disagreed with this but that performance last night was turgid! Dreadful performance against a poor team on an even poorer playing surface. 

A much needed three points and we move on to Saturday and the 150 celebrations that I’m sure Aberdeen will be desperate to ruin 

Saw the highlights on Sportscene, good goal however it did seem a game devoid of anything else. A win is a win is a win however

8 hours ago, Radford said:

Can someone please tell me what impressed them about Butterfield last night? He should really be called the abdicator, just passes the buck constantly.

I wouldn’t say that he impressed me, but I thought he showed an improved level of footballing ability in the first half. Got involved in some nice forward-thinking passing movements on the left side, showing a bit of ambition and trickery in the process. His second-half reverted to the norm.