The Tattie field derby

Much better. More akin to McKinnon performances. Do the basics = get the points. Wee spell at the start of the second half where Ferrie had two excellent saves, but there was a dig that hasn’t been there and we were clinical. Grant’s return might be coincidental, but it doesn’t feel like it is. No room for let up. This has to become the norm between now and the end of the season. Well done, QP.

An important difference we've seen over the past couple of games is how much more effective Luca Connell is when given the freedom to go forward. He absolutely has the skill to play in a more advanced role and be very creative at this level, and he's brilliant at it when he does.

Another good win and a very solid performance, let's aim for 3 in a row against Alloa next week now.

Easy as you like. Got the early goals and other than a couple hairy moments early in the 2nd half, we never looked in too much danger. It’s clear that Beuker has adapted his philosophy the last couple games which allows the players to play a style of football that they’re more accustomed to and it’s paying off now. 

Echo the comments about Connell. I think he’s been way off the boil the last couple months (who hasn’t really) but giving him the freedom to play near the striker is now making him the player that he should be at this level. A player of his ability should easily be getting double figures in an advanced role. Here’s hoping he continues this 

Bob McHugh put in a terrific shift up top and it’s nice to see him play on the last shoulder of the defence instead of coming deep all the time. He’s been underwhelming for large parts of his qp career but the last 2 games show he can positively impact the game if he’s up for it. Peter Grant was again a rock at the back. Such a calming influence on the rest of the players and didn’t lose a single header. We’ve missed him so much this season, an outstanding defender to have. 

Dumbarton are guff quite simply. Both centre half’s looked like they were about to gift a chance each time a ball was hit in their direction and there was very little going forward. 2nd goal was calamitous all round from a Dumbarton perspective and from what I’ve read, individual errors are killing them all season 

2 hours ago, qpfc said:

Easy as you like. Got the early goals and other than a couple hairy moments early in the 2nd half, we never looked in too much danger. It’s clear that Beuker has adapted his philosophy the last couple games which allows the players to play a style of football that they’re more accustomed to and it’s paying off now. 

Echo the comments about Connell. I think he’s been way off the boil the last couple months (who hasn’t really) but giving him the freedom to play near the striker is now making him the player that he should be at this level. A player of his ability should easily be getting double figures in an advanced role. Here’s hoping he continues this 

Bob McHugh put in a terrific shift up top and it’s nice to see him play on the last shoulder of the defence instead of coming deep all the time. He’s been underwhelming for large parts of his qp career but the last 2 games show he can positively impact the game if he’s up for it. Peter Grant was again a rock at the back. Such a calming influence on the rest of the players and didn’t lose a single header. We’ve missed him so much this season, an outstanding defender to have. 

Dumbarton are guff quite simply. Both centre half’s looked like they were about to gift a chance each time a ball was hit in their direction and there was very little going forward. 2nd goal was calamitous all round from a Dumbarton perspective and from what I’ve read, individual errors are killing them all season 

Yeah it makes such a difference having Connell pick up the ball on the edge of the opposition box rather than our own.

Being close to the pitch today, you realise just how much talking/organising Grant does during a game. Really going to help in the run in.

Great day all round really 

First off, Queens deserved to win. They took almost all of their chances and we didn’t. We again gifted our opponents two goals and didn’t make them work for anything in the first 35 minutes. So from then on it was always going to be a huge task.

I thought from then on though we were decent and more than a match for Queens. I really only remember one more shot from them before or after the third goal, which we were always susceptible to given we had to throw caution to the wind to try and get back in.  Good finish from the lad but it should never have got that far from our point of view.  It shows though how we did have good spells after our (again!) horror first half hour that pretty much as soon as the second goal went in, queens were timewasting. Bizarre and I’d definitely be asking questions if my club had put together a squad on that huge budget and had to timewaste from the 35th minute against a team in 9th!!!

The first two goals aside (I know, they’re a pretty pivotal part🤣) I thought Bronsky and Buchanan were pretty solid and didn’t have much work to do.  Carswell was good in the middle and Carlo a bit of class to our side as well.  Stanger impressive again, he could be a find. But the other side of the coin is how much we miss McLean and Josh.  We really need one of or both of them back pronto. Duthie runs a lot but he doesn’t have much of an end product and gets little to no help.

I thought Queens were ok but certainly nothing special.  We’ve been put to the sword four times by them this season so they’re obviously doing something right but as top four/ play offs go, they’re a long way off the likes of Airdrie and Montrose and they’d need huge improvement if they were to successfully navigate their way into the Championship.  They deserved their win today though for sure.  On to next week and a massive game for both us and East Fife.

20 minutes ago, Bogheidman said:

First off, Queens deserved to win. They took almost all of their chances and we didn’t. We again gifted our opponents two goals and didn’t make them work for anything in the first 35 minutes. So from then on it was always going to be a huge task.

I thought from then on though we were decent and more than a match for Queens. I really only remember one more shot from them before or after the third goal, which we were always susceptible to given we had to throw caution to the wind to try and get back in.  Good finish from the lad but it should never have got that far from our point of view.  It shows though how we did have good spells after our (again!) horror first half hour that pretty much as soon as the second goal went in, queens were timewasting. Bizarre and I’d definitely be asking questions if my club had put together a squad on that huge budget and had to timewaste from the 35th minute against a team in 9th!!!

The first two goals aside (I know, they’re a pretty pivotal part🤣) I thought Bronsky and Buchanan were pretty solid and didn’t have much work to do.  Carswell was good in the middle and Carlo a bit of class to our side as well.  Stanger impressive again, he could be a find. But the other side of the coin is how much we miss McLean and Josh.  We really need one of or both of them back pronto. Duthie runs a lot but he doesn’t have much of an end product and gets little to no help.

I thought Queens were ok but certainly nothing special.  We’ve been put to the sword four times by them this season so they’re obviously doing something right but as top four/ play offs go, they’re a long way off the likes of Airdrie and Montrose and they’d need huge improvement if they were to successfully navigate their way into the Championship.  They deserved their win today though for sure.  On to next week and a massive game for both us and East Fife

We weren’t anything special because we didn’t have to be. We put in a solid, professional performance and done you by three clear goals on your own patch. Again. 

As for the time wasting, the Ferrie booking was a joke. There was nothing approaching time wasting in the game. We had absolutely zero reason to do so and there wasn’t a single moment during that game where I wasn’t confident we were going to win. That’s not something that’s happened much this season. Fear for Dumbarton. By far the poorest side we’ve come up against.

11 minutes ago, an86 said:

We weren’t anything special because we didn’t have to be. We put in a solid, professional performance and done you by three clear goals on your own patch. Again. 

As for the time wasting, the Ferrie booking was a joke. There was nothing approaching time wasting in the game. We had absolutely zero reason to do so and there wasn’t a single moment during that game where I wasn’t confident we were going to win. That’s not something that’s happened much this season. Fear for Dumbarton. By far the poorest side we’ve come up against.

You certainly were solid and professional, that’s true.  I just expected more of a side going for top four/promotion, is what I meant. We gifted two goals and that was our downfall, and other than those two catastrophic errors, we weren’t under the cosh by any stretch.

Our issues are clear though, we don’t take chances when we have them or capitalise when we’re on top or having good spells and we’re shooting ourself in the foot.

Fair enough, everyone sees things differently, as we’re all entitled to.  It was clear timewasting even late on in the first half. Every throw in was a clear wasting of a few seconds and your keeper had been taking his sweet time over goal kicks all second half, that’s not up for debate.  I was just surprised, pleasantly to see the referee do something about it finally having watched it happen for the previous 40-ish minutes.

Anyway, enjoy your night, 3-0 is 3-0 to be fair.

3 minutes ago, Bogheidman said:

You certainly were solid and professional, that’s true.  I just expected more of a side going for top four/promotion, is what I meant. We gifted two goals and that was our downfall, and other than those two catastrophic errors, we weren’t under the cosh by any stretch.

Our issues are clear though, we don’t take chances when we have them or capitalise when we’re on top or having good spells and we’re shooting ourself in the foot.

Fair enough, everyone sees things differently, as we’re all entitled to.  It was clear timewasting even late on in the first half. Every throw in was a clear wasting of a few seconds and your keeper had been taking his sweet time over goal kicks all second half, that’s not up for debate.  I was just surprised, pleasantly to see the referee do something about it finally having watched it happen for the previous 40-ish minutes.

Anyway, enjoy your night, 3-0 is 3-0 to be fair.

Your guys weren't exactly hurrying things along I noticed possibly due to damage limitation? 

Can we play you every week? 

I thought from then on though we were decent and more than a match for Queens. I thought Bronsky and Buchanan were pretty solid and didn’t have much work to do.

Interesting take thought Bronsky was a bombscare and didn't think Sons threatened much other than start of 2nd half when thwarted by 2 excellent Ferrie saves
Peter Grant strolled it and won everything in the air and also thought Thomson had a very solid game. I know I'm in the minority but think there's a player in there he did a lot of good defensive work.
Also credit where credit's due full songbook from our vocal section today some new tunes to me and a fine rendition of Enjoy Yourself [emoji445][emoji122]

26 minutes ago, bridgeofweirdo said:

Your guys weren't exactly hurrying things along I noticed possibly due to damage limitation? 

Can we play you every week? 

It’s difficult to retort given the scoreline so not much else I can say on that. Not in a position of strength after three-zip.

No idea what you’re talking about us not rushing, you guys were timewasting, that’s not even a debate. Although you took 3 of your 4 chances, we took none, so you guys deserving of your win can’t really be debated either.🤷‍♂️

That was so dispiriting today. We really are dreadful and so easy to beat. Our home form in particular is embarrassing.

Losing back-to-back against Alloa and Peterhead likely condemned us to 9th, at best. Lose next week and I reckon we’ll finish 10th.

Edited by FifeSons

6 hours ago, Bogheidman said:

I thought Queens were ok but certainly nothing special.  We’ve been put to the sword four times by them this season so they’re obviously doing something right but as top four/ play offs go, they’re a long way off the likes of Airdrie and Montrose and they’d need huge improvement if they were to successfully navigate their way into the Championship.  They deserved their win today though for sure.  On to next week and a massive game for both us and East Fife.

Sometimes I wonder if I’ve watched the same match as folk. 

Timewasting? Bronksy & Buchanan solid? 

Queens absolutely sworded us without having to break sweat today. We created absolutely f**k all and we were practically chucking them in at our own end. I don’t think you’ll see a more concerning performance than that. There were literally zero positives to take whatsoever.

Very enjoyable afternoon. The Connell-Brown affair has become a bit like Lampard-Gerrard, two similar styles but often conflicting. Connell proved earlier in the season he can score around the penalty box so for me he should be in the front row. He was very unlucky on Tuesday to have his efforts chalked off but it didn’t hold him back yesterday.

Bob McHugh needs a special mention too. I’d written him off months ago before realising his style didn’t suit the way we were set-up, or vice-versa. But when he gets a bit of space to work in he makes a difference. We’ll see if his new found enthusiasm will work against stronger defences but for now, keep going Bob.

Beuker is making a difference. He has no track record at any level of being a first team coach so this is probably good experience for him, and ultimately the club, and what he might lack in experience his philosophy and freshness seems to be compensating. Most importantly, he’s figuring out what his players can or can’t do and moulding it accordingly. And learning that the Scottish game is a bit different from the Dutch style. I wouldn’t be surprised, or disappointed, if he leads the team until summer. 

I won’t get too carried away though. Dumbarton we’re poor compared to our previous matches and allowed space and time for some of our excellent forward movements to happen. Still much to be done. Timing is good though…a steady run for fourth place will give us that winning feeling so important going into play-offs.

Last word for the Black & White Army…another healthy QP crowd yesterday and loud and proud as always. Nice to have the coach  acknowledge it and players over celebrating with us. 

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

12 hours ago, Bogheidman said:

Our biggest issue isn't taking chances, it's the fact that we're having to make and take 3 chances per game, just to get a draw.

I can't really be bothered posting too much about that yesterday, because I thought we were absolutely rubbish. Queen's coasted to the win without really ever getting out of second gear. You got the feeling that they could've upped things seriously if they wanted to. But they were never pushed.

Defensively we are absolutely shocking. The pitch obviously played a role in the first two goals, but that shouldn't disguise the fact that Queen's looked pretty much rock solid dealing with exactly the same conditions. 

Without MacLean and Oyinsan we struggle a fair bit going forward and even though Joe McKee's dead ball delivery was on the money almost every time, we don't have anyone who attacks the ball the way McGeever and Morgyn Neill do. 

Next week is absolutely massive. And I'm expecting a huge reaction, because yesterday we looked like a beaten team as soon as we fell behind - not one embroiled in a relegation battle.

Edited by Jan Vojáček