New or Returning Clubs for 2022/23 and the Future of Division Four

Couldn't find this topic so I thought I'd start it as the deadline for any applications from new clubs can't be far off. It's the end of March for the EoS.

I hope that Annbank United will be returning. Annbank Amateurs have had a very good run in the Amateur Cup this season. They play favourites Lesmahagow Amats in the Quarter-Finals. They could be a good basis for the 22/23 Seniors?

There was lots of speculation last year about potential applications. Anything being heard this time around?

Stewarton United (Ayrshire Amats) seemed keen last time, any news from them this time?

Will Division Four be abandoned with the clubs absorbed into a Division Three Conference situation?

I guess it's worth the try to come up with a "local derby" for Pupils!

It's difficult to see where new clubs will come from this time as the League has already helped the current Division Four clubs by giving them time to get their facilities up to the mark.

The best Amateur League seems to be the Central Scottish with 6 out of the last 8 clubs in this season's Amateur Cup. I don't know their grounds but, apart maybe from Drumchapel Amateurs, there doesn't look like too many potential applicants from there this time around. Yes, I would love to see Oban Saints play at home in the WoS but there's no hint that they're currently interested (unless someone knows different).

17 minutes ago, Dev said:

I guess it's worth the try to come up with a "local derby" for Pupils!

It's difficult to see where new clubs will come from this time as the League has already helped the current Division Four clubs by giving them time to get their facilities up to the mark.

The best Amateur League seems to be the Central Scottish with 6 out of the last 8 clubs in this season's Amateur Cup. I don't know their grounds but, apart maybe from Drumchapel Amateurs, there doesn't look like too many potential applicants from there this time around. Yes, I would love to see Oban Saints play at home in the WoS but there's no hint that they're currently interested (unless someone knows different).

The Central Scottish is probably the best standard, but it's one of those leagues where teams often come and go as a lot of them seem to be based round a specific group of players and coaches rather than a traditional club infrastucture. As such, a lot of them don't have defined grounds and wil play whatever's playable and available that week. I might be wrong but I also suspect some clubs formed on that kind of basis would rather be a big fish in a small pool rather than ascend to a level where they'd get pumped every week.

The Caledonian League is where a lot of the less successful but perhaps more long-term clubs play...quite a few of them have enclosed grounds although admittedly a lot of them are very basic.

On 02/03/2022 at 11:20, Dev said:

Couldn't find this topic so I thought I'd start it as the deadline for any applications from new clubs can't be far off. It's the end of March for the EoS.

I hope that Annbank United will be returning. Annbank Amateurs have had a very good run in the Amateur Cup this season. They play favourites Lesmahagow Amats in the Quarter-Finals. They could be a good basis for the 22/23 Seniors?

There was lots of speculation last year about potential applications. Anything being heard this time around?

Stewarton United (Ayrshire Amats) seemed keen last time, any news from them this time?

Will Division Four be abandoned with the clubs absorbed into a Division Three Conference situation?

As far as I remember at the start of this season it was ruled that most of the clubs in |Division 4 are not allowed to be promoted even if they win the league because they don't have the correct ground criteria, i.e  own their park.

The only two who can move into division 3 are Both Harthill and Campbelltown, both own their own ground and I think the final piece at Campbeltown was to finish off the barrier railing round the park

On 02/03/2022 at 13:20, Dev said:

...Will Division Four be abandoned with the clubs absorbed into a Division Three Conference situation?

That's what Kennie Young seemed to be suggesting was possible for next season rather than booting them out if numbers in Div 4 fell below six. They would then still be associate members who can't be promoted until they sort out their grounds.

On 02/03/2022 at 11:20, Dev said:

Have it on good authority that Annbank won’t be returning. I work with a guy involved with them and they’ve decided to stay amateur and try to win some trophies at that level instead of bottom tier WoS

On 04/03/2022 at 02:22, Bestsinceslicebread said:

As far as I remember at the start of this season it was ruled that most of the clubs in |Division 4 are not allowed to be promoted even if they win the league because they don't have the correct ground criteria, i.e  own their park.

The only two who can move into division 3 are Both Harthill and Campbelltown, both own their own ground and I think the final piece at Campbeltown was to finish off the barrier railing round the park

I would put money on it that relatively few clubs at at non-league level own their grounds. Most lease them. 

9 hours ago, Kenny*******Powers said:

Have it on good authority that Annbank won’t be returning. I work with a guy involved with them and they’ve decided to stay amateur and try to win some trophies at that level instead of bottom tier WoS

Seems like a sensible option. Do they play at New Pebble Park in the amateurs? Nice ground for that level if they are.

11 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Dropped in with the better half to see Campbeltown Pupils vs. St Peter's on Saturday.

Pics if anyone's interested.

Ground on a par with a number in the Conferences to be fair...

20220305_153146.jpg

20220305_153147.jpg

20220305_153149.jpg

20220305_153151.jpg

20220305_153157.jpg

20220305_153146-PANO.jpg

Looks like a smashing wee park. Incidentally, what was the score pal and was it a decent game? I can't handle looking on the website and GNU_Linux hasn't posted their round up yet.

Edited by jimbaxters

Sorry Dev, Stewarton United will not be able to join this year as we cannot secure any ground in our town to allow us to get a facility of the right standard. Council won’t allow an asset transfer of the not fit for purpose grass park, WoS won’t allow ground sharing or astros owned by the council. Everyone is holding on to their land for the latest town expansion.

12 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Looks like a smashing wee park. Incidentally, what was the score pal and was it a decent game? I can't handle looking on the website and GNU_Linux hasn't posted their round up yet.

Only saw the last 15 mins tbh and Campbeltown had a lot of the ball but conceded late on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/03/2022 at 17:23, jimmycouch said:

Sorry Dev, Stewarton United will not be able to join this year as we cannot secure any ground in our town to allow us to get a facility of the right standard. Council won’t allow an asset transfer of the not fit for purpose grass park, WoS won’t allow ground sharing or astros owned by the council. Everyone is holding on to their land for the latest town expansion.

Sorry to hear that.

The grass park owned by the Council?