Should we have a friendly?

Should we have a friendly in March now the Ukraine game is put back to June?

Play someone beatable and use it to have a chance of using some players we haven't saw yet?

Go play just as a example Iceland?

And maybe get the chance to look at

Tino Livamento if we can 

Karlan Grant if we can

Aaron Hickey 

Liam Henderson 

Anthony Gordon if we ask

Ross Stewart 

Sirki Dembele 

Alan Campbell 

Kal Naismith 

Calvin Ramsay 

Ryan Gauld 

I know it isn't Clarke style but what have we got to lose exactly?

Do the double game even play Northern Ireland and give some of these guys a go?

Some EPL clubs might not want to let the big boys go anyway just to play in souped up friendly games

Edited by General dissaray

7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Would guess we will be playing at home to Poland and then the losers of Sweden v Czech Republic. Probably have a couple of new faces but not a bunch of daft nobodies like those listed above.

European teams that now don’t have a game:

Thursday 24th March - Scotland, Poland, Wales, Austria

Monday 28th March - Scotland, Wales, Austria, Sweden/Czech loser

If UEFA insists on everyone having two games, then we are probably going to have to play against our potential playoff final opponents 

Another reason why the postponement of Wales v Austria was a poor decision imo. If that game goes ahead, we could play Poland on the Thursday and the Wales/Austria loser on the Monday, whilst the Wales/Austria winner plays the loser of Sweden/Czech Rep 

European teams that now don’t have a game:

Thursday 24th March - Scotland, Poland, Wales, Austria

Monday 28th March - Scotland, Wales, Austria, Sweden/Czech loser

If UEFA insists on everyone having two games, then we are probably going to have to play against our potential playoff final opponents 

Another reason why the postponement of Wales v Austria was a poor decision imo. If that game goes ahead, we could play Poland on the Thursday and the Wales/Austria loser on the Monday, whilst the Wales/Austria winner plays the loser of Sweden/Czech Rep 
Was Tuesday 29th March not the date for the final?

41 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Are Israel available? we must be due to play again soon.

Every UEFA team has a game apart from ourselves, Wales and Austria (both dates), Poland (date 1 only) and the loser of Sweden and Czech Republic (date 2 only)

UEFA have screwed up by postponing the Wales/Austria game. I’ve no idea what we are supposed to do here. Maybe we could play games against African/Asian/CONCACAF countries that have been eliminated already.

Every UEFA team has a game apart from ourselves, Wales and Austria (both dates), Poland (date 1 only) and the loser of Sweden and Czech Republic (date 2 only)

UEFA have screwed up by postponing the Wales/Austria game. I’ve no idea what we are supposed to do here. Maybe we could play games against African/Asian/CONCACAF countries that have been eliminated already.

Have they postponed the Wales v Austria game? Haven't seen that confirmed.

32 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Have they postponed the Wales v Austria game? Haven't seen that confirmed.

I’m now seeing in the Athletic that Wales v Austria goes ahead.

If that’s the case then the fixtures align quite nicely.

Scotland v Poland friendly

Sweden v Czech Rep playoff

Wales v Austria playoff

Poland v Sweden/Czech winner playoff final

Austria/Wales loser v Scotland friendly 

Austria/Wales winner v Sweden/Czech loser friendly

Scotland v Ukraine moves to 4th June and their UNL games for that date move back to November.

Playoff final moves to 14th June and the UNL games for that date move back to September. 

If we play a friendly and everyone's fit, I'd play something like:

Kelly
Souttar Hanley Tierney
Patterson Gilmour Jack Hickey
McGinn Dykes Armstrong

It would let us see how a Gilmour-Jack midfield does, how Hickey performs in our system and Dykes in the 3-4-3. Plus chuck in a goalkeeper who isn't an OAP and give Patterson minutes in a low-stakes match. I'd quite like to see a LCB or McGinn alternative but it's worth building up the McGinn-Patterson relationship and seeing how Hickey works with Tierney.

If there's only one friendly then I'd understand going as strong as possible so the play-off team has actually played together at least once in seven months.

13 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Would guess we will be playing at home to Poland and then the losers of Sweden v Czech Republic. Probably have a couple of new faces but not a bunch of daft nobodies like those listed above.

Daft nobodies suppose that is a dig the Luton players,even though there playing for one of the form teams in the country

What age was Greer and Constidine when they got capped again?

Naismith is just turning or turned 30 and the squad has big injuries guys like Turnbull Cooper Nisbet Christie all out and question over Fraser pulling out and playing next week for Newcastle 

Edited by General dissaray

Robertson can be excused because Liverpool are still involved in three competitions so he likely needs a rest and those just returning from injury (Dykes, Christie and McTominay) won’t be risked for the sake of a friendly but I would be playing close to full strength because it’s a long gap between November and June without pulling on a Scotland shirt

Kelly

Hendry-Hanley-Tierney

Patterson-Gilmour-McGregor-Hickey

McGinn-Adams-Fraser

If we get a second game then I’d ring the changes at that point

Clark

Souttar-McKenna-Porteous

Patterson-Jack-McLean-Hickey

Armstrong-Stewart-Brown

7 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Robertson can be excused because Liverpool are still involved in three competitions so he likely needs a rest and those just returning from injury (Dykes, Christie and McTominay) won’t be risked for the sake of a friendly but I would be playing close to full strength because it’s a long gap between November and June without pulling on a Scotland shirt

Kelly

Hendry-Hanley-Tierney

Patterson-Gilmour-McGregor-Hickey

McGinn-Adams-Fraser

If we get a second game then I’d ring the changes at that point

Clark

Souttar-McKenna-Porteous

Patterson-Jack-McLean-Hickey

Armstrong-Stewart-Brown

Patterson has hardly kicked a baw but I'm getting laughed at for suggesting Ramsay to go into the squad 

On 08/03/2022 at 12:08, accies1874 said:

If we play a friendly and everyone's fit, I'd play something like:

Kelly
Souttar Hanley Tierney
Patterson Gilmour Jack Hickey
McGinn Dykes Armstrong

It would let us see how a Gilmour-Jack midfield does, how Hickey performs in our system and Dykes in the 3-4-3. Plus chuck in a goalkeeper who isn't an OAP and give Patterson minutes in a low-stakes match. I'd quite like to see a LCB or McGinn alternative but it's worth building up the McGinn-Patterson relationship and seeing how Hickey works with Tierney.

If there's only one friendly then I'd understand going as strong as possible so the play-off team has actually played together at least once in seven months.

Perhaps the time together as a group will be more useful than the games. I suppose it depends how Steve Clarke wants to use the two friendly matches that he's been given.

First time in ages we've had the opportunity to bring in new players and give Clarke a chance to see them without any pressure on the game.

Would like to see Liam Kelly, Jacob Brown, David Turnbull (if fit) and Aaron Hickey being given a chance.

Also wouldnt mind Clarke taking a look at a couple of: Gauld, Henderson, Stewart, Porteous in training with the first team to see if they can add anything.

43 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

First time in ages we've had the opportunity to bring in new players and give Clarke a chance to see them without any pressure on the game.

Would like to see Liam Kelly, Jacob Brown, David Turnbull (if fit) and Aaron Hickey being given a chance.

Also wouldnt mind Clarke taking a look at a couple of: Gauld, Henderson, Stewart, Porteous in training with the first team to see if they can add anything.

Poland