Saints v Motherwell, Saturday 19th March

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Guess it's important we give Rooney time, can't be arsed rushing him back in only for him to get injured again. Big if about it still, but if we have a playoff to play then he's one you absolutely want playing in them. Zero idea how long he's been training and that though, mind you.

Maybe we'll change shape and have Sang/MOH in front of Brown, which I wouldn't mind a huge amount. The lack of actual wingers we have kills us a bit in terms of changing it up. Wonder how Bair would do out wide?

Clark

Sang - Gordon - McCart - Gallacher

Hallberg - Craig - Davidson

Middleton - Hendry - Bair

Really like the look of that team - midfield would probably be as balanced as it’s been at any point this season, even if slightly reliant on Hallberg, but still have options of MacPherson/Crawford/Gilmour on the bench - woo. I guess you’d probably get the best out of Middleton in that shape as well? Not quite the defensive responsibilities of a wide midfielder, but not a central striker either. 

Far too sensible and attacking so it’ll not happen 

f**k it, I’ll have a go. This weeks tombola will spew out;
Kelly
SOD Sol Lamie McGinley
Cornelius Donnelly Goss
Woollery KVV Efford
…which is actually not too far off what I’d pick. Maybe swap Goss for O’Hara if he’s fit.
A drab 1-1 draw that does neither team any favours. Efford for us and whoever takes St Johnstone’s penalties for them.

1 hour ago, dezz said:

f**k it, I’ll have a go. This weeks tombola will spew out;
Kelly
SOD Sol Lamie McGinley
Cornelius Donnelly Goss
Woollery KVV Efford
…which is actually not too far off what I’d pick. Maybe swap Goss for O’Hara if he’s fit.
A drab 1-1 draw that does neither team any favours. Efford for us and whoever takes St Johnstone’s penalties for them.

Aside from the team tombola, we also need to be more proactive.

You can see GA saying don't worry about possession and territory, sit deep and make sure we don't concede the first goal which which will mean we inevitably concede the first goal.

6 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:
I would have started woolery instead of efford. 

Woolery an impact sub, in the 89th minute when it's too late.

5 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

maybe we'll find out how the 5-2-3 works today.

Or the 5-2-2, given @Phillips455 has accidentally cut Shields out of the team list 😉

Ciftci has to deliver here. Not offered anywhere near enough to be starting every week when we have other options that haven’t had a look-in yet.

I would’ve ripped his contract up after the Hibs game.

4 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Woolery an impact sub, in the 89th minute when it's too late.

Or the 5-2-2, given @Phillips455 has accidentally cut Shields out of the team list 😉

Hey, is that really any worse that the team line ups we've had over the past few games?

Also if woolery is on the pitch then it may make Alexander try and take him off early, monkeys paw style.

Edited by Phillips455

11 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Remarkably consistent... maybe we'll find out how the 5-2-3 works today.

I am seeing 3-4-3

i just hope he uses the subs to keep the team fresh throughout the match 

1 minute ago, Phillips455 said:

Hey, is that really any worse that the team line ups we've had over the past few games?

Also if woolery is on the pitch then it may make Alexander try and take him off early, monkeys paw style.

I'm bizarrely actually happy we appear to have a plan and are sticking to it.

More confusing is St Johnstone appear to be lining up 3-5-2, as was expected, and a set up which so deliberately leaves you a man short in the centre of the park is usually a hell of a gamble in Scottish football.

Obviously we'll hope to counter that somehow but it'll need someone with a better idea of tic-tacs to explain me the theory...I can only see that St J will be man for man at the back, a risk worth taking when there's only aimless punts from us, and the maths in the middle will put us under pressure.

My best guess is our front three will be spread wide again in a bid to force their wing backs deep but we've seen how toothless we are doing that.

Answers on a postcard.

5 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

I like that line-up. In fact, it’s probably the exact line-up I’d have gone for. This is a rare occurrence.

Agree, happy with it.

Also think Cifti needs to show something today. He looked good before his injury but has looked well off it since returning.