Alloa v Peterhead

A crucial game at the Recs with both teams aiming to climb away from the bottom of the table. Alloa certainly much improved since the departure of Barry Ferguson and the only disappointment has been that we haven't picked up more points. 2 draws was a poor return from Cove, Airdrie and QP when we could easily have had 6 or 7 points. We need to now build on those improved performances by beating the sides around us and getting away from danger. 

I'd be happy if we stuck with the defence from last week. In midfield I'd ideally like to see Robertson, Scougall and Cawley come in, albeit that would be a little harsh on Sena. But hopefully we will see a couple of changes there. 

Peterhead have reason to be confident with 2 wins against Alloa previously this season, although that has to be balanced against somehow managing to lose to us at home when the Ferguson disaster was coming to an end and with Mendy at CB. 

Mon the Wasps. 

Edited by Waspie

Guest Bluetoon

Alloa are much improved team from the side we previously defeated in the League. They also got credible draws with cove and Queens with the later getting a late equaliser. Given how tight things are at the bottom, a draw might not be a bad result but given the form I'm not expecting much. Only guarantee will be McInally making some excuse for a lose.

9 hours ago, Waspie said:

A crucial game at the Recs with both teams aiming to climb away from the bottom of the table. Alloa certainly much improved since the departure of Barry Ferguson and the only disappointment has been that we haven't picked up more points. 2 draws was a poor return from Cove, Airdrie and QP when we could easily have had 6 or 7 points. We need to now build on those improved performances by beating the sides around us and getting away from danger. 

I'd be happy if we stuck with the defence from last week. In midfield I'd ideally like to see Robertson, Scougall and Cawley come in, albeit that would be a little harsh on Sena. But hopefully we will see a couple of changes there. 

Peterhead have reason to be confident with 2 wins against Alloa previously this season, although that has to be balanced against somehow managing to lose to us at home when the Ferguson disaster was coming to an end and with Mendy at CB. 

Mon the Wasps. 

Would agree with Robertson coming back in but I would pair him with Sena and start Cawley in front of them. 

Also hope the back line stays the same - would hopefully see O’Donnell and Taggs pose a threat getting forward on a much better surface. Wouldn’t be adverse to Boyd getting a run at left wing back either though. 

Really big this. Have to win. Haven't seen much of Peterhead, they were very good in their cup tie. If you listen to the guys on OpenGoal, you'd think they are great but unlucky. No surprise that the supporters maybe have another view. It is good to see Russell McLean doing so well. Always a player I wanted to come back to Alloa and seems to be finding some consistent form this season, already got a few against us.

Looking forward to getting back on our park and seeing Rice's style more, something like first half Cove would be good, turning it into a 90 minute performance. There is no doubt that the more technical players will come back in. Sammo and Riley-Snow were brought in for the conditions and will drop out. I know tough conditions but didn't think O'Donnell did enough in his last few appearances to keep his place. Cawley back in is the main one, like another poster said on another thread - any Alloa team with Cawley in it is better. Would like to see the return of Robbo too in a natural position. 

Hopefully Henderson begins to find his form again starting this week. Has cut a frustated figure last few games and definitely hit a bump in the road with the red card. Hasn't scored since the last time we played Peterhead back at the start of Feb. 

2 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

Would agree with Robertson coming back in but I would pair him with Sena and start Cawley in front of them. 

Also hope the back line stays the same - would hopefully see O’Donnell and Taggs pose a threat getting forward on a much better surface. Wouldn’t be adverse to Boyd getting a run at left wing back either though. 

I'd be interested to see Boyd in that position. I think also that Sammon and Boyd is potentially the best combination we have up front when we play two with Boyd bringing link up play and a work rate that Henderson won't. I did feel that Boyd and Scougall were central to a lot of the bother we caused Cove, with Sammon also very good. But I totally accept it's hard to argue with Henderson's threat and goal tally. 

22 minutes ago, Waspie said:

I'd be interested to see Boyd in that position. I think also that Sammon and Boyd is potentially the best combination we have up front when we play two with Boyd bringing link up play and a work rate that Henderson won't. I did feel that Boyd and Scougall were central to a lot of the bother we caused Cove, with Sammon also very good. But I totally accept it's hard to argue with Henderson's threat and goal tally. 

I wrote similar in the match programme. I'm not sure if Henderson is nearly as effective in this system, albeit he played against a decent well drilled Airdrie team and a tattie field last week. So those aspects may be mitigating circumstances. I guess it's a watch and see. As you say, our top goalscorer so we want to maximise his impact if possible.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

Guest Bluetoon
4 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

If you listen to the guys on OpenGoal, you'd think they are great but unlucky. No surprise that the supporters maybe have another view

I wouldn't take what's said on OpenGoal, it's not realistic to what is actually going on. You'd think we're a fighting for the title. 😜

We need a win no doubting it Peterhead need it too I just hope it does not cancel out a good game 

BR still looking at his best setup ?

never saw the QP game so hard to tell if we are improving or static

A must win for both teams. If results go our way we can leapfrog Clyde into 6th, if they go the other way we may find ourselves right back in the mix at the bottom. Hopefully see Cawley and Scougall come back in. A repeat performance of the Cove first half please.

Guest Bluetoon

Looks like Jason Brown is available again. Hopefully that means the bomb scare that is Andy McDonald gets dropped but I doubt it