Scottish Footballs new throwing fad.

This isn't a dig at any team in particular, as it's happened with Dundee fans this season too.

All too often at games nowadays idiots are spoiling games and threatening to injure people by launching things from the stands. 

The bottles in the Old Firm game, a flare just missed a photographer at Dens yesterday, we had Griffiths returning one to the St Johnstone fans earlier, I'm not too bothered by tennis balls and bog roll as that's more of a nuisance than a hazard.

But it's like we are slowly turning into some Eastern European football backwater that some folk might not feel safe at. (OK maybe a bit extreme).

But you get my point, when does it stop?

What are your thoughts on this new flare/smoke bomb culture? 

Does it create an atmosphere to intimidate? Or is it creating an atmosphere you don't want to be part of? (More flares and Smoke bombs with this, nobody wants to see bottles and coins.)

Mind someone launched a coconut at the Edinburgh derby a few years back.

Anyway, it's a fad, like so many other things in Scottish football. Pitch invasions after goals are a fad that plenty of fans jumped on. Running down the front of the stand when your team score is a fad plenty of fans have jumped on. Singing the exact same songs, with the appropriate lyric changed, is a fad (see the awful 'Putting on a show' song, a song sang by morons, for morons). Happened with flares and smokebombs a while back too. The flare one seems to be coming around again.

Basically, far too many fans appear to be moronic c***s who can't seem to think for themselves and copy so much shite that other fans do.

Based on nothing more than anecdotal evidence I think there’s been an increase in this kind of anti-social behaviour lately, post-lockdown. It has manifested itself around football, but not exclusively so, and it’s not just in this country either - the French league has had several high profile examples.

My personal feeling, based on nothing in particular, is that, one way or another, it’s a reaction to lockdown. Either people are just burnt out with staying at home for so long and are  letting off steam and getting rid of pent up energy and anxieties or it’s an anti authoritarian reaction to be being told what to do for so long, conscious or otherwise. 

Edited by Junior_Arab

It's not a new thing though? Rangers cracked a linesman's head open with a coin against us a few seasons ago.

Even going back it's always happened, and probably been worse. It's just the tolerance for it now is far less than previously

4 hours ago, ATLIS said:

It's not a new thing though? Rangers cracked a linesman's head open with a coin against us a few seasons ago.

Even going back it's always happened, and probably been worse. It's just the tolerance for it now is far less than previously

I think the frequency of these incidents has crept up a bit more tbh. Although it could be that it gets highlighted more on social media now.

"new" .. "NEW?"

This has been a problem for OF fans for all of my life, it's gotten better to an extent, but it's still rife, whether that be coins, bottles or just people spitting at players or officials.

Is it a specifically OF problem? No, not specifically, but much like their sectarianism they will claim this is a societal issue and nothing they can do (clicky), yet I fail to remember when the last time someone hucked an empty half bottle of Glens across my local Marks and Spencers because they were told or saw something they didn't like. I certainly don't remember any such actions being broadcast around the world.

It seems to fit the modern situation of outrage at everyone else, meanwhile incapable of accepting they are at fault. Like an untreated, and untreatable, cancer that isn't terminal, the OF will continue to undermine efforts to hold them to account, while boasting they somehow act as a flagship for Scottish football.

f**k em, the lot of them.

The correct move from the authorities here should be to impose on all fans of Rangers* and Celtic compulsory strip searches before being granted entry. Get them to pay for it, put big marquees up around the ground, demand fans arrive at least 1 hour before kick off, and do it properly and thoroughly, finger up the bum, the lot. Enough is enough. 

14 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

The correct move from the authorities here should be to impose on all fans of Rangers* and Celtic compulsory strip searches before being granted entry. Get them to pay for it, put big marquees up around the ground, demand fans arrive at least 1 hour before kick off, and do it properly and thoroughly, finger up the bum, the lot. Enough is enough. 

Well you can put your finger up their bums if you want...

Same old shit, nothing changes and never will - just add it to the list along other actions which shame the Scottish game. There will be some initiatives launched, outrage tweeted or in media interviews by (including but not limited to) - politicians (who see it as point scoring opportunities), the police, clubs involved (shite media spin) and then the SPFL board.

We all know what needs to happen - guilty clubs hit hard with big fines (maybe proportional to the gate money income or higher), serious warnings then closed door games or docking points. None of it will happen though - we will be discussing this or another similar topic/event next season and the one after into infinity.

This has went on since football started. I remember as a young lad standing at the segregation at East End Park and before the game the netting above the segregation being empty, by half time it had loads of darts and golf balls with nails through them. I've seen confrontations with proper flares that can kill you fired at opposition fans, none of the pishy wee hand held efforts you see at the football nowadays. Fireworks thrown at any and everycunt on the way to grounds were common around November as well . I'd say it's just got a bit more sanitised and the wee fuds think it's great because it got mentioned on social media and loads of folk have seen it.