Livingston vs Motherwell - 9th April

Well, look how much difference a single game can make.

Its a 3pm Saturday Kick off at the Toni Macarini Arena. 

Motherwell on an 11 game winless treat and floating down to the bottom 6 pick up a strong win against rivals St Mirren and are then propelled from 8th to 5th.

On the inverse, Livingston very unlucky not to get anything against resurgent St Johnstone. How that penalty was never given I will never understand. 

This leave this game as effectively a do or die match. If either team wins, then they are most likely guaranteed top 6. Anything else will put it out of their hands.

From a Motherwell prospective, there were a lot of takeaways on Saturday. Defensively we were poor with both goals Conceded being the result of 2 players hitting the ball of each other. But atleastrd I can say that after a win instead of a game where we dropped points due to it.

I would ideally start woolery instead of Efford, mainly to give some options on the wing. Keeping Shields and Van Veen upfront and then put tiernay on later in the match was effective last Saturday as well.

Not familiar with the Livingston squad so I wont be able to say how they will set up. 

What I hope for is a win for Motherwell. No matter how terrible or eye clawing the display is. Get the job done so we can focus on the next goals. We don't want to be in the bottom 6 after the season we've had.

I'm going to the game so if any Livingston fans could advise on parking? Not sure if there is any allocated areas to park for away fans? 

The only change I'd make is take Efford out and stick in either Tierney or Woolery in his place.

Fully expect five changes and us to randomly play 3-5-2.

This will be a tough one.  If we can get a point here, I think that should be enough to get us Top 6.  I can't see both Hibs & County winning away from home. 

Funnily enough I was suggesting Woolery for Efford before the game and at some points during it. But he actually did OK on Saturday and his run and set up for Cornelius goal was excellent. 

However I agree totally re the defence. It was a bomb scare all afternoon.

So I would leave midfield and forward areas alone. Like Alexander will do that 🤔🤨

But I would get SODs back to right back. Lamie at left back. And two from Mugabi, Sol and Ojala in central defence. 

Will be interesting to see how we approach this game. Livi know only a win will do so that is easy for them. Should leave some spaces for us however. If we are 1-0 or 1-1 with 5 minutes to go then defend for our lives. But up until that point then we need to play to win also. Anything less and we will come unstuck. Glad Bruce Anderson is missing as he has been very good for Livi. 

We were obviously much improved last time out but that says a lot about our level before. Defensively we still seem a shambles and having finally stumbled across some kind of balance in the team there's zero confidence GA won't rip it up and try something new.

I'd be happy with the same XI or Tierney in for Efford. If we change the midfield it'll be foot through the telly time.

I can scarcely remember us playing well at Livi (other than 5-0 in the LC in 2004) but our record there is actually solid enough. They've been playing pretty well though with even their three-game losing run having plenty of caveats...would you take a draw if offered and rely on County/Hibs slipping? Probably...

In fairness to Alexander he's generally stuck with a team if it's got a result eg: it was the same starting XI that played both Aberdeen games b2b in the cup and the league.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was minimal fuckery after finally winning a league game (and scoring 4 goals).

Edited by capt_oats

We've been inexplicably stinking against Motherwell this season so anticipate this being a struggle. We simply can't lose the first goal as they will 100% shitfest a 0-1 if we do. 

I think a 2 goal win for us will more than likely be enough thanks to some fortunate results at the weekend.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

13 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

We've been inexplicably stinking against Motherwell this season so anticipate this being a struggle. We simply can't lose the first goal as they will 100% shitfest a 0-1 if we do. 

Well, you're in luck because we've only scored the first goal in 1 of our last 15 games (and we lost).

We've also only kept 1 clean sheet in the same number of games.

Edited by capt_oats

5 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

I'm going to the game so if any Livingston fans could advise on parking? Not sure if there is any allocated areas to park for away fans? 

St Margarets Academy - EH54 6AT. You can see the ground, no more than 5 min walk to the away end. Loads of spaces and really handy to get back on to the m8.

Don’t listen to any other suggestions. 

I’m fully in the keep the same team but replace Efford with Woolery or Tierney camp.

I don’t rate Efford at all. He has little movement, doesn’t look to get involved often enough and has one of the worst first touches. I appreciate he did stellar work for the third goal on Saturday and he’s possibly playing in a new position, but he’s just not for me.

I'll say it now before I inevitably end up pissed off.

Good luck Motherwell and fans, whoever wins this deserves top six.

This is a cup final for us, knowing that if we win there's another hard battle for Europe ahead. Win this and our entire debt is gone for next season too.  There's so much riding on this game for Livi. A horror show against St Johnstone from ourselves and Clancy aside, we need to go into this one confident and give it everything. If not there's a chance we might end up in the playoff spot if we have our post-split collapse. Happened last season due to losing a cup final, fear that missing top 6 could have a similar effect here.

IMO I'd keep the same team but drop Forrest for Bailey

54 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I'll say it now before I inevitably end up pissed off.

Good luck Motherwell and fans, whoever wins this deserves top six.

This is a cup final for us, knowing that if we win there's another hard battle for Europe ahead. Win this and our entire debt is gone for next season too.  There's so much riding on this game for Livi. A horror show against St Johnstone from ourselves and Clancy aside, we need to go into this one confident and give it everything. If not there's a chance we might end up in the playoff spot if we have our post-split collapse. Happened last season due to losing a cup final, fear that missing top 6 could have a similar effect here.

IMO I'd keep the same team but drop Forrest for Bailey

And get Sibbald on as a sub this time instead of Kelly.

I'd also be tempted to start McMillan instead of Omeonga.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

Annoyed that 3 points over 1 against bottom club Dundee decimated by Covid and it would be top 6 in the bag already.

Don't fancy this pitch and Livi have such an advantage knowing the nuances of the bounce and pace.

Slugfest or cricket score .... I don't know, none of us do under Alexander. A wee bit of confidence restored after being devoid in recent weeks and Anderson missing are two plus points for us.

1-3

40 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Annoyed that 3 points over 1 against bottom club Dundee decimated by Covid and it would be top 6 in the bag already.

Don't fancy this pitch and Livi have such an advantage knowing the nuances of the bounce and pace.

Slugfest or cricket score .... I don't know, none of us do under Alexander. A wee bit of confidence restored after being devoid in recent weeks and Anderson missing are two plus points for us.

1-3

It's the same for any team playing at home, but we've actually done better away this season, or had been doing the last time i checked.

Most obv thing i've noticed is the ball holding up more when hit long, that catches opposition players out, seen it spinning back and our players catching it as the opposition player runs on thinking it'll skite off the pitch, shouldn't be difficult to see that after it happens once though.

7 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

It's the same for any team playing at home, but we've actually done better away this season, or had been doing the last time i checked.

Most obv thing i've noticed is the ball holding up more when hit long, that catches opposition players out, seen it spinning back and our players catching it as the opposition player runs on thinking it'll skite off the pitch, shouldn't be difficult to see that after it happens once though.

We're used to our long balls not bouncing as expected, but it's usually because someone in the stand has caught it.

8 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

By only 1 point as it happens so not a huge difference. 

Contrast that with Motherwell. 28 home points and only 11 away points. 

That said stats can be dressed up any way you want. For example Livi have won 5 home games from 15. So only 1 in 3 games. 

I guess it comes down to who can handle the pressure better. There is not much between the teams this season.

Happier we got a win and 4 goals on Saturday. Should allow the players some more self belief and stop the Management from tinkering too much - one can only hope 🙏

Edited by welldaft