Darvel FC Thread

5 hours ago, terencej said:

Feel sorry for long term Darvel supporters and previous Committee members. Must have thought there was going to be steady investment and progression but sadly that wasn't the case. 

The statement makes sorry reading and i think you'll find the majority of their players will now be sold or player swapped to other WOSFL teams. I am hoping that for their sake they can offload the more expensive assets (in terms of wages) and bring in a player from the buying club that's on less money.

However sad this is, we've seen it all before over the years - Maryhill, Benburb, Johnstone Burgh, Kilwinning, Medda,

Now Darvel looking to cut costs and no doubt in the future Burgh (again) and Gartcairn - big money man or men come in splash the cash, in most cases care little for building a sponsorship profile or in building facilites, get bored and leave and thus the club and their fans watch it all crumble. 

The wages and transfer fees getting paid at teams like Darvel, Gartcairn and Burgh are simply eye melting and it's having a bad innfluence and affect on our level of football. As Pyramid Watcher said above the money coming through the gate from these clubs and in sponsorship can't keep pace with the playing budgets.

When you are paying guys like McShane more than just about every League 1 player then it's going to end in tear eventually. 

I can't speak for other clubs but as for my team Gartcairn I can tell you that we have grown year on year. We won the championship with probably the 5th biggest budget in the league and this season we have spent less than 5k in transfer fees due to selling players.

our club have a business club that has over 30 members all putting in between £100 and £1000 per month in return for whatever they think boosts their business, from advertising to social media to just being part of a family environment. Because of the club we have lots of opportunities to offer jobs to players who may be coming to the end of their careers or looking for a change like we did with Gary Harkins, Steven Saunders, Tam McManus and Ian McShane to name a few.

John Gall has done a great job at Darvel, love him or hate him EVERY club wants a John Gall to take them on a journey of success. There are loads of clubs 100 years old but have never won a thing. This man has won a league, improved facilities and beat a premier league team in a cup. Some may not like how he did it or even why but the facts are he did it and the club would not be where they are now without John and his sponsors.

1 hour ago, Cairn Cheerleader said:

I can't speak for other clubs but as for my team Gartcairn I can tell you that we have grown year on year. We won the championship with probably the 5th biggest budget in the league and this season we have spent less than 5k in transfer fees due to selling players.

our club have a business club that has over 30 members all putting in between £100 and £1000 per month in return for whatever they think boosts their business, from advertising to social media to just being part of a family environment. Because of the club we have lots of opportunities to offer jobs to players who may be coming to the end of their careers or looking for a change like we did with Gary Harkins, Steven Saunders, Tam McManus and Ian McShane to name a few.

John Gall has done a great job at Darvel, love him or hate him EVERY club wants a John Gall to take them on a journey of success. There are loads of clubs 100 years old but have never won a thing. This man has won a league, improved facilities and beat a premier league team in a cup. Some may not like how he did it or even why but the facts are he did it and the club would not be where they are now without John and his sponsors.

I don’t think many clubs with long term plans would want John Gall anywhere near their club.  A league title they won in the season post Covid when they were the only ones throwing money around while others were holding back to see what was happening.   Is that what they have to show one trophy? 

Club being left riddled with debt and a chairman looking to jump ship.  

An embankment built that offers f all really.  Yes improvements in ground however what will the lasting effect be? 

I would be embarrassed if my chairman conducted himself the way John Gall has, certainly hasn’t built many relationships within football nor does he have a clue how to operate a football club.  

8 hours ago, Cairn Cheerleader said:

It sounds like a great business model and no doubt a lot of hard work has been done, but it all seems quite soulless and the antithesis of what football is all about. 

On 31/10/2023 at 22:20, Bestsinceslicebread said:

I will say again;
Gartcairn are not paying him more than he got at Darvel, so your guy is completely wrong. Actually, In fact, Darvel were paying him way more than he gets from Gartcairn

Think what you want from that but its actually factually correct

Stop being ambiguous, is this factual?

17 hours ago, terencej said:

Feel sorry for long term Darvel supporters and previous Committee members. Must have thought there was going to be steady investment and progression but sadly that wasn't the case. 

The statement makes sorry reading and i think you'll find the majority of their players will now be sold or player swapped to other WOSFL teams. I am hoping that for their sake they can offload the more expensive assets (in terms of wages) and bring in a player from the buying club that's on less money.

However sad this is, we've seen it all before over the years - Maryhill, Benburb, Johnstone Burgh, Kilwinning, Medda,

Now Darvel looking to cut costs and no doubt in the future Burgh (again) and Gartcairn - big money man or men come in splash the cash, in most cases care little for building a sponsorship profile or in building facilites, get bored and leave and thus the club and their fans watch it all crumble. 

The wages and transfer fees getting paid at teams like Darvel, Gartcairn and Burgh are simply eye melting and it's having a bad innfluence and affect on our level of football. As Pyramid Watcher said above the money coming through the gate from these clubs and in sponsorship can't keep pace with the playing budgets.

When you are paying guys like McShane more than just about every League 1 player then it's going to end in tear eventually. 

Its shite when these clubs start this inflated wages campaigns because clubs trying to play fairly miss out and by the time the bubble bursts theres someone else trying the next one. 

Darvel players told if they lose today further cuts required.  Less wages again.  

Some fans saying pressure off Darvel now, very much the opposite. 

20s now needed to plug the gap, yes decent players if getting brought on surrounded by experienced players for 5 mins however no where near the level to step up.  

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Stop being ambiguous, is this factual?

Its shite when these clubs start this inflated wages campaigns because clubs trying to play fairly miss out and by the time the bubble bursts theres someone else trying the next one. 

I get what your saying but its definitely not shite, if a club want to do that sort of thing, pay higher wagers then so be it as football will cope at our level, clubs either wont pay it or try and make sure they get a good deal as well. I think for many who complain it, is either jealousy or some saying that what they are doing is ruining the football or the level of football For other clubs.  We have to remember some of these clubs have been going for over 100 years and some are brand new and as time will go on through their lifetime, they will go through great times and bad times and it happens at every level but its how they are run by the owners committee making the right decisions.  I think what Darvel did for our level was fantastic, spending money, putting Darvel and the WOSFL on the map and in my view the biggest cup upset ever in Scottish football but if they are struggling then it happens, they will go back to their real level but with great facilities.  I just see Darvel as a wee small football team from a town, that their aver crowd is usually 50 people at games but that's my view

Regarding paying high prices for players, even Hurlford did it, for 7 - 8 years they were horrendous as 90 or 91 their club was vandalized and set on fire so they couldn't pay for players so their just brought in amateurs and then a new chairman took over about 9/10 years later and then paid out funny money for a higher standard of player with the goal to get promotion and they did get promotion and they were in the top league but think it didn't last long but then either new chairman or more money came in and it happened again and they have been in the premier for a long time and considered a premier team, so it does work.
From what i know Gartcairn have taken advantage of Darvel's problems and its a bit deeper which I wont go into but its helped Gartcairn as they were struggling at first.    I think teams like Clydebank, Beith and Auchinleck are doing what we mostly consider and view as the right way as in not spending thousands and thousands of money and good on them but I'm fine with what Gartcairn, Johnstone Burgh and even Darvel did, although I think Gall brought everything on himself and has to live with the hassle n slagging as most don't want to make him forget it.  I will say this can happen to any team, come into money so yeah, spend it how you see fit, on the club faculties/ ground or players or even spend on all and good luck to them but be prepared when things don't go well as it can and will happen to some.

As regards for opposing clubs, well the players, they love it playing against far superior players as it gives them a buzz.
Whoever gets relegated from the premier, the 3 teams, possible 4 etc... then to be fair they will deserve to go down as they gathered less points than the rest, they are not going down because a few other teams spent a lot more money.

1 hour ago, fieldsofdreams said:

Darvel players told if they lose today further cuts required.  Less wages again.  

Some fans saying pressure off Darvel now, very much the opposite. 

20s now needed to plug the gap, yes decent players if getting brought on surrounded by experienced players for 5 mins however no where near the level to step up.  

The bold part, that is defiantly not true.  
They are under contract and will be paid accordingly to contract and if not then they can take action against the club and usually win.
yeah we know there is a bit of ducking and divign regarding contracts and how players are paid but for the most part most are on contracts as  professional players

12 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

They are under contract and will be paid accordingly to contract and if not then they can take action against the club and usually win.
yeah we know there is a bit of ducking and divign regarding contracts and how players are paid but for the most part most are on contracts as  professional players

You can’t get blood from a stone, and it could take them months to get any satisfaction from the SFA. 

1 hour ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Try chasing money down off a bust club 

4 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

I get what your saying but its definitely not shite, if a club want to do that sort of thing, pay higher wagers then so be it as football will cope at our level, clubs either wont pay it or try and make sure they get a good deal as well. I think for many who complain it, is either jealousy or some saying that what they are doing is ruining the football or the level of football For other clubs.  We have to remember some of these clubs have been going for over 100 years and some are brand new and as time will go on through their lifetime, they will go through great times and bad times and it happens at every level but its how they are run by the owners committee making the right decisions.  I think what Darvel did for our level was fantastic, spending money, putting Darvel and the WOSFL on the map and in my view the biggest cup upset ever in Scottish football but if they are struggling then it happens, they will go back to their real level but with great facilities.  I just see Darvel as a wee small football team from a town, that their aver crowd is usually 50 people at games but that's my view

Regarding paying high prices for players, even Hurlford did it, for 7 - 8 years they were horrendous as 90 or 91 their club was vandalized and set on fire so they couldn't pay for players so their just brought in amateurs and then a new chairman took over about 9/10 years later and then paid out funny money for a higher standard of player with the goal to get promotion and they did get promotion and they were in the top league but think it didn't last long but then either new chairman or more money came in and it happened again and they have been in the premier for a long time and considered a premier team, so it does work.
From what i know Gartcairn have taken advantage of Darvel's problems and its a bit deeper which I wont go into but its helped Gartcairn as they were struggling at first.    I think teams like Clydebank, Beith and Auchinleck are doing what we mostly consider and view as the right way as in not spending thousands and thousands of money and good on them but I'm fine with what Gartcairn, Johnstone Burgh and even Darvel did, although I think Gall brought everything on himself and has to live with the hassle n slagging as most don't want to make him forget it.  I will say this can happen to any team, come into money so yeah, spend it how you see fit, on the club faculties/ ground or players or even spend on all and good luck to them but be prepared when things don't go well as it can and will happen to some.

As regards for opposing clubs, well the players, they love it playing against far superior players as it gives them a buzz.
Whoever gets relegated from the premier, the 3 teams, possible 4 etc... then to be fair they will deserve to go down as they gathered less points than the rest, they are not going down because a few other teams spent a lot more money.

I completely disagree that there’s ‘jealousy’ its frustrating, i wouldnt want my club to be a darvel or the like because I want it to still be there for my son to go and watch, boom and bust economics don’t work in the real world and every single person who’s tried it at our level has failed, it just holds back sustainable clubs and makes the level we play at look tin pot when clubs have the fire sale. 
Hearing Mcshane getting £850 a week at Gartcairn? Ffs.

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

18 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Throwing silly money at League 1 level players to drop three tiers is a complete folly and anyone who thinks "our level can cope with it" is a complete fool.

Also, how many failures like the current Darvel debacle will it take to dispel this myth that "other clubs are jealous"?

Edited by jimbaxters

Ever heard the Frankie Miller version of Jealous Guy ?

This is nothing to with jealousy though...more about Dear Prudence (in the financial sense) See the first few lines of what big, daft,  Hovis was talking about...I can't really believe I'm agreeing with the big chap...but he is right.

For any other of our readers...TLDR.

Go to the library. Pick up some James Joyce. Less work. More punctuation.

Seriously though, I really hope that folk like Jim and his pals can pick up the pieces (AWB) after the fairweather support has gone.

18 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I completely disagree that there’s ‘jealousy’ its frustrating, i wouldnt want my club to be a darvel or the like because I want it to still be there for my son to go and watch, boom and bust economics don’t work in the real world and every single person who’s tried it at our level has failed, it just holds back sustainable clubs and makes the level we play at look tin pot when clubs have the fire sale. 
Hearing Mcshane getting £850 a week at Gartcairn? Ffs.

As per you are hearing wrong regarding McShane but why let the truth get in the way of a good rumour eh lol

Darvel are in a much better place than where they were 5 years ago and I'm sure the parents and kids that go along for the next 20 years will still have a club. The difference is the Darvel kids will have memories of winning leagues and big nights in the Scottish cup.

36 minutes ago, Cairn Cheerleader said:

As per you are hearing wrong regarding McShane but why let the truth get in the way of a good rumour eh lol

Darvel are in a much better place than where they were 5 years ago and I'm sure the parents and kids that go along for the next 20 years will still have a club. The difference is the Darvel kids will have memories of winning leagues and big nights in the Scottish cup.

I believe the person who told me the figure, they had no reason to lie.