Dog Kills Man

My Granny kept Greenland dogs (like huskies) in the sixties, in Greenland, for pulling a sledge. The locals thought she was mental for keeping the old ones on as pets. They just shot theirs and fed the meat to the other dogs. 

58 minutes ago, coprolite said:

My Granny kept Greenland dogs (like huskies) in the sixties, in Greenland, for pulling a sledge. The locals thought she was mental for keeping the old ones on as pets. They just shot theirs and fed the meat to the other dogs. 

That blog article is excellent. I hadn’t realised until I read it that a breed can be banned simply by a decision from a minister. Why has this not been done? 

Also a good comparison with firearms and the “guns don’t kill people, people kill people” excuse.

I do think that these animals are attractive to people for a variety of reasons. Obviously some are just antisocial people who want to intimidate others with their violent creatures but there is also a cultural meme of people or things that appear aggressive having a heart of gold or being especially loving and kind. Sadly often appearances are correct and if things look aggressive and dangerous they likely are.

The only dog we ever had a problem with was a Jack Russell, which was given to us as the owner couldn't handle it, that attacked my stepdaughter's dog, and the vet advised us to put it down, which we did.

4 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

The only dog we ever had a problem with was a Jack Russell, which was given to us as the owner couldn't handle it, that attacked my stepdaughter's dog, and the vet advised us to put it down, which we did.

Aye, you've got loads of weans anyway, harsh but fair.

38 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Christ, reading all those it’s not the dogs, it’s the owners…those sweet doggies…

Any dog running toward me and I square up to them, and will kick the s**t out of them. Sorry, keep your dog under control, or I will respond to a threat…luckily the two times it’s happened, the owners have been able to call the dogs back before they got to me, but neither apologized and one yelled at me for threatening her “overly friendly” 80+lb Doberman!

Some of the comments in that Twitter thread are quite something. The usual suspects deluding themselves that their mongrels would quite simply never do anything bad and that it must be something else that's the issue. This was my favourites: 

https://twitter.com/Jacquel01037887/status/1666539813040685061?t=d2zeKQ460ZKsKw7hiYfdww&s=19

What does Jacqueline suppose we might do about this - sit the dogs down for tea and biscuits so we can discuss the circumstances that made them attack this woman? 

Of course the dogs are to blame - they are the ones attacking the woman. The owner is also to blame for owning dangerous animals for 1) having his dangerous animals off a lead and 2) being incapable of controlling his dogs. 

In descending order.....

Ownership of such dogs should be illegal

Owning more than 1 should Be illegal

Having whatever number of them you are allowed off the lead/without a muzzle in public should be illegal

This issue must now be gaining sufficient traction that something will be done soon. 

35 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

In descending order.....

Ownership of such dogs should be illegal

Owning more than 1 should Be illegal

Having whatever number of them you are allowed off the lead/without a muzzle in public should be illegal

This issue must now be gaining sufficient traction that something will be done soon. 

Nothing will be done.  Do not underestimate the power of the Big Pitbull lobby.  One million people signed an online petition to have the police who shot the two dogs in London a few weeks ago prosecuted.  A million people.

I honestly think the only way anything would change legally would be for an XL bully to get into a nursery and kill several children or something like that. 

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

Nothing will be done.  Do not underestimate the power of the Big Pitbull lobby.  One million people signed an online petition to have the police who shot the two dogs in London a few weeks ago prosecuted.  A million people.

I honestly think the only way anything would change legally would be for an XL bully to get into a nursery and kill several children or something like that. 

Yeah but remember how fucking stupid the public are when it comes to polls and petitions. That poll would be seen by many as dogs shooting lived family pets because they were dogs. I'm sure you could carve out a fairly well supported petition regarding a devil dug of your choice getting banned. 

The Bully XL ones are a really good example because the ones iv seen in the flesh are considerably too big and strong to be under someone's proper control. Even on a lead. 

It was posted earlier in the thread, but banning Bully XLs takes nothing more than a Government Minister getting their pen out and writing it down.  No need for any vote or debate in Parliament. 

It would be an exceptionally easy thing to do, but it hasn't been done. 

Seems like I'm getting recommended accounts for this sort of thing on Twitter. Here's a video of some Texan polis trying to take down one of these dogs with some fire axes: PPV-TAHOE - News Journalist on Twitter: "Pitbull attack in San Antonio, Texas ‘Horrific scene’: Dog owner arrested after elderly man killed, 3 others injured. https://t.co/a4989d2Tkr" / Twitter