Update On Hoose Rice

39 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Went okay today but I do feel it's the same questions just different people saying I need to take my mind off stuff by doing activities, it's hard as though when it's gotten so bad I even empty my bin at night I don't want to the leave the house.

Anyone any suggestions for a non TV/Laptop pass time in the flat? I'm thinking of something like go fresh or something when I finally get paid next week (woohoo).

Been an amazingly tough month or so but this place has helped me get through really dark times.  There really are amazing people on here.  

Learn a musical instrument 

I’d suggest drums depending on your neighbour situation. Because there’s always a shortage of drummers 

12 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Learn a musical instrument 

I’d suggest drums depending on your neighbour situation. Because there’s always a shortage of drummers 

I’m not sure that’s a good idea considering all the unwanted attention I’ve brought on recently mate but cheers.  I’ll stick with turkey drummers! 

14 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Go out the house and into the garden do some weeding. See all the small creatures. Get in touch with nature. 

I’m laying so low just now and panic attack even putting the bin out but ta for the option. 

32 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Re-watch the 2016 Cup final over and over again. 

The best final ever. The East Fife family were shitting themselves that the Ibrox mob were going to be the second lower division side to lift the trophy. 

Great shout.  DVD going on later :) 

39 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I quite like reading travel books, especially about people going to places I don't expect to go to - where I would not know the language, it is too hot or too cold or there are other difficulties.  I can read the book in the comfort of my own home regardless of what discomfort they had to endure.  It makes me feel warm and cosy.

Actually it doesn't have to be a travel book.  There are lots of other books that can achieve the same goal.

Just an idea.

Very good idea tbh!

1 hour ago, Hoose Rice said:

Went okay today but I do feel it's the same questions just different people saying I need to take my mind off stuff by doing activities, it's hard as though when it's gotten so bad I even empty my bin at night I don't want to the leave the house.

Anyone any suggestions for a non TV/Laptop pass time in the flat? I'm thinking of something like go fresh or something when I finally get paid next week (woohoo).

Been an amazingly tough month or so but this place has helped me get through really dark times.  There really are amazing people on here.  

I know drums were suggested but I would highly recommend guitar as well.  As soon as you learn a couple of chords you can play some tunes and before you know it you've been at it for a couple of hours. I still find after 20 years of playing picking up a guitar and noodling away as a good mindful way to get out of your head for a while.  

I got some acrylic paints for around £1, and some of these wee mini canvases which were even cheaper, and started painting of places I liked. Although I'm quite poor as an artist, I have kept at it and managed to produce some which are ok, and have also painted mini pictures of some people for a bit of humour. It's a great diversion, but understand it might not be for everyone. 

You don't even need the canvases, I've painted on bits of wood and glass as well: in fact you don't even need a paintbrush, I buy cocktail sticks (less than a pound for 100) and use them. Saves on cleaning up.

I appreciate that you don’t feel like leaving the house, but build it up gradually. First time walk to end of the road and back. Next day go a bit further. One of the best ways to deal with this is to get some podcasts loaded up on your phone and take a walk. 

One thing that may be holding you back is what you may think your neighbours are saying about you. Most are too wrapped up with their own issues so don’t take any notice. We can be our own worst enemies at times.

I don’t know if you have a dog or could walk someone’s for them, but when you have a dog to walk and care for you find yourself getting too busy to worry about things. You also meet some good people out walking and it really is a great form of exercise and is good for the soul. As well as your health and you 4 legged companion.

Not sure if that helps in any way, but I found having my dog has saved me from following through on some dark periods in my life. 

5 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

Good to see you back posting on here have just read through the thread. If you’ve got through the last month you will get through the next. Every tough day that’s behind you is a day where you won. Keep taking the wins.

I know it was a few posts back you mentioned struggling with panic attacks, and hopefully you’re managing to control them better now. 

From the age of about 20 to 26 I suffered terribly with panic attacks. Unexplainable waves of anxiety that would have me standing in cold showers for hours or running away to hide in toilet cubicles thinking I was about to drop to the floor at any minute. I ended up in A&E multiple times having ECGs taken because my heart was beating out its chest for no reason and I couldn’t control my mind from racing uncontrollably away from me.

The thing that eventually enabled me to get a handle on them was by doing research on what exactly a panic attack was, the chemicals being released by your brain, the ‘fight or flight’ mode your body has decided is required, and understanding exactly why your body has decided to do this. Your brain is flooding your blood stream with adrenaline, your heart rate will increase as blood is pumped to every part of the body, your muscles tense up and your breathing becomes shallow and quickens. These are all difficult enough to deal with when you are trying to control a mind that is racing with thoughts, or a feeling that you are losing a sense of reality. All of these are symptoms of your brain trying to make itself safe, it’s misunderstood the signals being sent to it, but over time you can rewire the brain so that even if it does get those signals your thoughts will over power them. 

My reaction when first feeling that a panic attack was incoming was to run cold water over my wrists, which can quickly reduce your heart rate. While you are doing that look around and pick out objects in the room. If you see a tube of toothpaste, remember the last time you brushed your teeth, if you see a towel remember drying yourself with it the last time you had a shower. If you can go further back try and remember times from weeks ago where you used these objects. Try and vividly remember conversations you had with people or the last place you have been. Basically just try and convince yourself that you are in control of your thoughts, and if your mind starts to wander go through the same process again. It can help to pick these objects up and hold them while you do this. 

The most important thing to know with panic attacks is that you are completely safe and it WILL pass. 

Just to add, I understand if you’re not in a position to start researching these types of subjects at the moment, but it can be a comfort in knowing that you aren’t the only person out there dealing with these kind of things. I found YouTube videos on these subjects extremely helpful in managing to calm my mind down, especially at night time. It can be overwhelming and it’s hard to explain to friends or family who haven’t experienced it, so if you ever feel the need to do so please don’t hesitate in getting in touch on here. 

You're getting some great suggestions for activities here @Hoose Rice and I'll add another. When I was going through a very similar rough patch in early 2020, my sister sent me one of those colouring books for grown ups and a pack of cheapo coloured pencils. I was a bit sceptical at first but gave it a go and found it incredibly helpful. Meditative and relaxing. It also awakened a long dormant enthusiasm for art. I've been dabbling with water colours, pencils, charcoal and calligraphy. It's fair to say this isn't going to be a new career (I used to be quite good but my skills have deteriorated through lack of use) but I'm enjoying myself and that's really all that matters.

And keep on with the regular updates here. You have a big support crew so don't be shy about using it.

3 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Yoga, meditation and mindfulness. Local classes, library books, or YouTube.

All about the power associated with something that we take for granted. Breathing which we just do naturally, but when it is controlled has an amazing effect on the mind and the body.

These are all good suggestions. Breath work has been proven to have an affect on our neurological system, and by spending time focusing on the act of breathing you can trigger your parasympathetic nervous system, which is the antidote to the parts of your brain which control the ‘fight or flight’ response. 

One thing I would say to anyone trying meditation in order to control anxiety or panic attacks, is even if you think it’s not working and your unable to stop your mind wandering, keep trying as it will get easier. I try and imagine a circle, that gets bigger as I inhale and smaller as I exhale, and keep my hands on my stomach so I can feel it rising and falling. It might feel like the biggest waste of time at first, but if you keep at it it will soon become a trick that can nip a panic attack in the bud. And once your mind knows you have a way of dealing with them, and your initial reaction isn’t to panic, then soon enough they will start to become less frequent. 

4 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Yoga, meditation and mindfulness. Local classes, library books, or YouTube.

All about the power associated with something that we take for granted. Breathing which we just do naturally, but when it is controlled has an amazing effect on the mind and the body.

Completely agree with this. Wim hof is a good place to start Hoose Rice for breathing exercises as well as cold water stuff. 

Do you have a yoga mat? I started doing basic body weight exercises in the house followed by breathing exercises and felt a lot better about myself.

In time, I forced myself to join an outdoor swimming group(it's more of a dook in the water than a swim) and made some good friends which helped me enormously. 

5 hours ago, GTG_03 said:

Completely agree with this. Wim hof is a good place to start Hoose Rice for breathing exercises as well as cold water stuff. 

Do you have a yoga mat? I started doing basic body weight exercises in the house followed by breathing exercises and felt a lot better about myself.

In time, I forced myself to join an outdoor swimming group(it's more of a dook in the water than a swim) and made some good friends which helped me enormously. 

Aye, I've loads of them kicking about :lol: