EPL 2022/23

Just pop it on now. I wear a Barclays pin badge around the office at work now. Always good for striking up conversations with fellow enthusiasts in the lift or the staff canteen. Sometimes causes a bit of confusion if I go into a branch and they realise I'm not a member of staff, but that's just a minor inconvenience. 
Not an employee, a disciple.

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

People trying to claim this was only in relation to some specific point are way off it. It's his chosen phrase when he wants to point out the game is too soft and should be more physical and the players tougher.

Erm, his specific point was that he enjoyed the game he was watching being more physical and tougher.

Reported on the BBC an hour ago that Souness does not regret a single word of what he said. Good, nor should he. This is in danger of getting completely out of hand. For actual fcuk sake, you’d think that sitting on a panel with an England Lioness, Souness had been asked if he’d watched the Women’s Euros, and he’d replied ‘Nope. Football is a man’s game’.

I swear, the world is fcuking mad.

28 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Erm, his specific point was that he enjoyed the game he was watching being more physical and tougher.

Reported on the BBC an hour ago that Souness does not regret a single word of what he said. Good, nor should he. This is in danger of getting completely out of hand. For actual fcuk sake, you’d think that sitting on a panel with an England Lioness, Souness had been asked if he’d watched the Women’s Euros, and he’d replied ‘Nope. Football is a man’s game’.

I swear, the world is fcuking mad.

Which he could have phrased like you have and there would be no issue. Preferring that type of football has nothing to do with being a 'man's game' and the opposite isn't a 'women's game' (or a 'boy's game' as I've seen some people try and claim), it's just football which allows more physical contact, that's all that he had to say. It's an outdated and utterly tone deaf way of explaining himself. The Office had David Brent saying that line more than 20 years ago to mock it.

The reaction is obviously ludicrous, but that is the way of the world these days so I have no real sympathy for anyone that tone deaf on a major broadcaster.

18 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Which he could have phrased like you have and there would be no issue. Preferring that type of football has nothing to do with being a 'man's game' and the opposite isn't a 'women's game' (or a 'boy's game' as I've seen some people try and claim), it's just football which allows more physical contact, that's all that he had to say. It's an outdated and utterly tone deaf way of explaining himself. The Office had David Brent saying that line more than 20 years ago to mock it.

The reaction is obviously ludicrous, but that is the way of the world these days so I have no real sympathy for anyone that tone deaf on a major broadcaster.

"Men against Boys" is quite a well used phrase and folk always talk about youth players needing to toughen up (or even "Man up") so it isn't a massive stretch tbf even if I don't believe for one moment that it's the actual comparison that was being made. 

46 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I think II’ll reserve my scorn for Giggs and Mendy. I reckon Souness was a talented, but kunty player, and I’m far from a fan of his, however, on this ocassion, I know exactly what he meant. I have zero issue with what he said. I have zero issue with the language he used. There was context, a helluva’ lot of context, to his comment. In my opinion, his comment insulted no-one, was a slight on no-one, and was certainly not intended to suggest football is a ‘man’s game’. It’s a game for everyone, obviously. Like golf. Or tiddlywinks.

Edited by pozbaird

See, the thing is, all this 'outrage' when someone says a thing, no matter how small or throwaway, that they perceive as out of turn just doesn't sit right. 

There's no way, no fucking way at all, that anyone is sitting there genuinely foaming at the mouth that Graeme Souness called a game of football between 22 male footballers 'a man's game'. Maybe slightly annoyed and going 'he's a bit of a dinosaur/an arsehole' under their breath or to their mates, but genuinely outraged? At that? With all the actual, proper fucking degenerate outrageous stuff going on in the world, we're honestly meant to believe for people like Eni Aluko, that's their tipping point?!

Nah, not buying it. Get a fucking grip. If he had sat there and went into a complete diatribe about how this is the only football that matters, womens football can f**k off as they are shite and not at all interesting etc, then of course, you could agree it deserves a massive amount of anger.

'It's a man's game' though, is in no way belittling or dismissing women's football. He was commenting specifically on Men's football.

While everyone is getting all worked up over Graeme Souness being out of touch, some more details about another situation involving a footballer are emerging

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/aug/15/benjamin-mendy-raped-women-in-locked-panic-rooms-jury-told?CMP=share_btn_tw

I don't use the term "monster" lightly but Benjamin Mendy is a monster

15 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

While everyone is getting all worked up over Graeme Souness being out of touch, some more details about another situation involving a footballer are emerging

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/aug/15/benjamin-mendy-raped-women-in-locked-panic-rooms-jury-told?CMP=share_btn_tw

Jesus. That's fucking horrendous.

29 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Fucking hell. Yeah, monster is about right.